Conor McGregor is the most underrated fighter in MMA history

Meh, the most underrated fighter in MMA isn't even in the UFC.....
a44i3485.jpg

Seriously

How is it possible that a two time division champion, a guy who smoked former GOAT candidate Aldo in turteen seconds, and a guy who brought MMA truly into the mainstream in the post-Brocktober era could be this direspected

MMA fans are the worst
but it's not just fans
Journalists, other fighters, coaches etc seem to vastly overrated Khabib just to tear Conor down

There are critiques to be made about Conor's record sure, but can Khabib beat someone who is a difficult style matchup please? Just once
His best wins are RDA and Barboza, two guys notoriously bad against pressure fighters - how does this translate into success against a guy who beat someone on the level of Aldo

Seriously, Jorge Aldo might be the greatest fighter of all time if he never lost to Conor, and against Conor MURKED HIM

I don'teven know what to think, it's like people don't even watch the sport

You think Weidman would have been able to beat let's say Forrest Griffin? Because he beat Anderson and Eddie Alvarez was more or less of the caliber of a Forrest champ (got the TS by split decisions, never defended belt). Beating Aldo was impressive, but it might also have been a fluke, we never know. And Eddie was less than stellar after the fight. Moreover he never defended the belt. IMO Tony Fergusons 10 win streak is more impressive than Conor winning against Aldo, tapping to Diaz, winning razor close rematch and knocking out Eddie Alvarez.

What you are complaining about is the counterreaction to the superlatives(as seen in this thread again) from his fans.

The general MMA community rates him just about right imo. Great fighter. But untested in regards to what he portraits himself as.

His fanboys declare him the GOAT. After two or three legacy worthy fights. And a loss.

This insane obsession is what pisses many MMA fans off and provokes anti-Conor attitudes. Not even going to go into Conor fanboys shitting every fighter that Conor was ever mentioned in the same sentence with. Some people are aggressive and unreasonable about it of course. But it just resonates with the Conor fanboys.

I have been labeled a hater more than once for lining out why I believe Khabib has a great chance of beating Conor or why I believe that guys like GSP, Anderson and Jones are way ahead in the GOAT talks.

Last edited:
You think Weidman would have been able to beat let's say Forrest Griffin? Because he beat Anderson and Eddie Alvarez was more or less of the caliber of a Forrest champ (got the TS by split decisions, never defended belt). Beating Aldo was impressive, but it might also have been a fluke, we never know. And Eddie was less than stellar after the fight. Moreover he never defended the belt. IMO Tony Fergusons 10 win streak is more impressive than Conor winning against Aldo, tapping to Diaz, winning razor close rematch and knocking out Eddie Alvarez.

Chris Weidman has a case.

Seriously

How is it possible that a two time division champion, a guy who smoked former GOAT candidate Aldo in turteen seconds, and a guy who brought MMA truly into the mainstream in the post-Brocktober era could be this direspected

MMA fans are the worst
but it's not just fans
Journalists, other fighters, coaches etc seem to vastly overrated Khabib just to tear Conor down

There are critiques to be made about Conor's record sure, but can Khabib beat someone who is a difficult style matchup please? Just once
His best wins are RDA and Barboza, two guys notoriously bad against pressure fighters - how does this translate into success against a guy who beat someone on the level of Aldo

Seriously, Jorge Aldo might be the greatest fighter of all time if he never lost to Conor, and against Conor MURKED HIM

Khabib will not stand with Conor like Jose did, it's a very bad matchup for Conor. If anything. Conor has been overated imo, he's still very one dimensional compared to most. Most of Conor's "big wins" have been against opponents that have not been given a training camp, something Conor would never do if rolls were reversed.

Seriously

MMA fans are the worst
but it's not just fans

He got finished by nate diaz who's barely a top 10 lightweight. The other 2 wins over Diaz and Alvarez won't age well.

Khabib will not stand with Conor like Jose did, it's a very bad matchup for Conor. If anything. Conor has been overated imo, he's still very one dimensional compared to most.

And he has an 8 minute gas tank if it becomes a real fight. He's fucked unless he gets an early KO.

Find me a more underrated fighter then.
The amount of hype that Conor got early has resulted in an over correction among fans - especially after losing to Nate Diaz.
This isn't even an outlandish take, if you disagree just state why - or else why did you bother clicking the thread?
Conor is far from under-rated. Look how many people get a boner every time he so much as mentions fighting.

I tell you who is under-rated; that Jorge Aldo.

Conor is far from under-rated. Look how many people get a boner every time he so much as mentions fighting.

*jose

but yes he is underrated too
largely as a result of Conor McGregor
the result is a recursive underrating of both fighters

Find me a more underrated fighter then.
The amount of hype that Conor got early has resulted in an over correction among fans - especially after losing to Nate Diaz.
This isn't even an outlandish take, if you disagree just state why - or else why did you bother clicking the thread?
I dont think Conor is underrated at all, I think it has more to do with the fact that he is so good at getting under peoples skin and triggering them like no other fighter that they find it near impossible to give him his due praise and of course its also jealousy.

“Anyone who picks against Conor is a hater!”

You Conor fans are a fucking embarrassment. People are picking the 26-0 undefeated fighter against Conor. Of course! Conor lost to a LW gatekeeper. You expect people to pick him to beat Khabib, one of his worst stylistic fights possible? Hahahahahaha.

You might need to watch the sport a bit more if you really thought his name was Jorge.

Conor gets a boner thinking about Conor.

t9cw2g8g0rcy.jpg

I do not see Conor being overrated. Not as a fighter. Even most of the people who dislike him acknowledge he is an elite fighter.

Conor is a great fighter who earned 2 straps by Ko'ing a dominant champion and a legitimate champion. He deserves respect for that. But it also must be said that he never defended either strap and he got his ass whipped by a quality journeyman in Diaz once and barely squeaked by him a second time. Those performances earned legitimate questions about his greatness. These are facts as related to fighting. So it is justified that he not be spoken of in the same breath as the MM's, TJ's, Matt Hughes, GSP's, Anderson Silva's, Randy Couture's, of the world etc.

But he is still in his prime as a fighter and still has time to earn that distinction.

As to bringing MMA into the mainstream, I think it's a little early to make that claim. Conor may have gone mainstream, but it's not accurate to say he brought MMA with him. If he had truly brought MMA into the mainstream, fights that were not Conor fights would sell a lot better than they do. He has not had the impact on MMA of say the Ultimate Fighter 1 show.

Conor is a polarizing figure. So very few straddle the fence on him. But aside from the blind nuthuggers on one end of the spectrum, and the the keyboard haters on the other, I'd say Conors quality as a martial artist and role he has played in the UFC's success is viewed pretty objectively. You just hear a lot more about Conor from people at both ends of the spectrum.

Seriously

MMA fans are the worst
but it's not just fans

Cmon man, Aldo is a lower weight class and he isn't a wrestler.

Khabib is a bigger weight class and has the skill that works best against Conor.

Doesn't take a genius to realize that.

How can Khabib NOT be the favorite.

Khabib will not stand with Conor like Jose did, it's a very bad matchup for Conor. If anything. Conor has been overated imo, he's still very one dimensional compared to most. Most of Conor's "big wins" have been against opponents that have not been given a training camp, something Conor would never do if rolls were reversed.

Who is Jose? You mean Jorge?

Back