"Conor McGregor has no takedown defense."

Here is the completely simple, easy to digest truth: Conor looks good, but he hasn't fought an elite wrestler yet.

You cannot subjectively say he will do good or bad against a wrestler. We don't know.

What we do know is he's looked pretty awesome against middle-of-the-pack strikers. Siver was a gimmie fight but there is no way in the world you can discredit a stoppage win over Poirer. That is a quality win for any featherweight.

It has not been against the elite wrestlers, but, what grappling we have seen has been very impressive and I would even say dominant. I think his early sub losses caused him to focus on it.

Benson got caught in one loss, and beat Cerrone 29/28 or 30/27. Benson beats everyone not named Pettis 8/10 times, including Khabib. I think Khabib is one of Bensons most difficult fights though.

I am not at all sold on Pettis although I feel he has Benson's number, but open to being wrong about how long he stays champ.

LOL, you aren't sold on Pettis? He dismantled one of the best LWs ever in Bendo, dismantled Cerrone, first guy to finish Melendez. What aren't you sold on? If you're not sold on him, who in the division can you be sold on? Guys who have proven less?

LOL, you aren't sold on Pettis? He dismantled one of the best LWs ever in Bendo, dismantled Cerrone, first guy to finish Melendez. What aren't you sold on? If you're not sold on him, who in the division can you be sold on? Guys who have proven less?

I am completely sold on him having Bendo's number. When I say I am not sold, I do not mean I don't think he is good, I simply don't think he will stay champ for an extended period. He's a top fighter though.

Here is the completely simple, easy to digest truth: Conor looks good, but he hasn't fought an elite wrestler yet.

You cannot subjectively say he will do good or bad against a wrestler. We don't know.

What we do know is he's looked pretty awesome against middle-of-the-pack strikers. Siver was a gimmie fight but there is no way in the world you can discredit a stoppage win over Poirer. That is a quality win for any featherweight.

There are exactly two elite wrestlers in the division. It's kind of unreasonable that so many people act like he's illegitimate because he hasn't fought two guys. Like, his last three fights are considered jokes to them because he didn't fight two guys.

I am completely sold on him having Bendo's number. When I say I am not sold, I do not mean I don't think he is good, I simply don't think he will stay champ for an extended period. He's a top fighter though.

Oh, I see. I'm not sold on anyone being a champion for an extended period who hasn't done it. I don't see how anyone can be.

Pettis tho...if he beats Khabib, then yeah, he's gonna be champion for a long time. Or at least until he runs into Aldo.

It has not been against the elite wrestlers, but, what grappling we have seen has been very impressive and I would even say dominant. I think his early sub losses caused him to focus on it.

It's really just supposition.

Frankie Edgar is on another planet compared to guys like Siver. You can't really draw any conclusions from seeing Conor do well in grappling exchanges with a middle-of-the-pack striker.

He's looked awesome against marginal guys and a very competent striker in Poirer, who's been submitted by non-elite grapplers.

Nobody knows what Conor would be capable of against the most meaningful, scary guys in the division. Your Edgar and Mendes types. We just don't know either way.

Frankie Edgar is on another planet compared to guys like Siver. You can't really draw any conclusions from seeing Conor do well in grappling exchanges with a middle-of-the-pack striker.

He's looked awesome against marginal guys and a very competent striker in Poirer, who's been submitted by non-elite grapplers.

Nobody knows what Conor would be capable of against the most meaningful, scary guys in the division. Your Edgar and Mendes types. We just don't know either way.

Neither had cub. Yet no one was talking about he should face wrestlers, or that he doesn't deserve to face Aldo.

And you can draw conclusions if you know what you are looking at. They won't be gospel, but they can give you a good idea.

Yes but Edgar is not champ, Aldo is. I think Conor has shown he can hang with Aldo.

Edgar will dismantle of Conor McGregor exactly the way Edgar destroyed Swanson. Conor is going into the fight against Jose and get completely rag dolled in a one-sided fight. He's not Chris Weidman. He has holes in his game. Aldo will expose Conor and his stock will drop rapidly after the fight.

Edgar will dismantle of Conor McGregor exactly the way Edgar destroyed Swanson. Conor is going into the fight against Jose and get completely rag dolled in a one-sided fight. He's not Chris Weidman. He has holes in his game. Aldo will expose Conor and his stock will drop rapidly after the fight.

I think the biggest question is his cardio.

doc-rivers.gif

Jason-Segel.gif

It's the difference between a kick hitting the face or missing by a mm.

No, it is not like this. An upkick would impact the fight by hurting the fighter, not just change the scoring. Whether or not McGregor's butt hit the ground, judges should not weigh Siver's takedown attempt heavily.

I think the important thing about this scramble is Siver's inability to control McGregor. I concede the point that he did not get him down. I think even if he had it would have mattered little if McGregor popped up in the same way.

No, it is not like this. An upkick would impact the fight by hurting the fighter, not just change the scoring. Whether or not McGregor's butt hit the ground, judges should not weigh Siver's takedown attempt heavily.

I think the important thing about this scramble is Siver's inability to control McGregor. I concede the point that he did not get him down. I think even if he had it would have mattered little if McGregor popped up in the same way.

Agreed.

Are you kidding? One TD can sway a round one way or the other and that means it can sway the entire fight if it goes to decision. If you care about the sport at all then defining what exactly constitutes a TD is critical.

1. What is the definition of a takedown in the Unified Rules? McGregor was certainly a downed opponent by the rules.

2. I think this entire issue is far less critical than some are making it. Whether or not McGregor's butt hit the ground is considerably less important than whether or not Siver was able to control him and gain an advantageous position. He was not.

a. Had McGregor's butt hit the ground but he still popped up, the judges should not have weighed it heavily.

b. Had Siver been able to hold McGregor in a semi-sitting position against the fence, the judges would have weighed his takedown attempt more heavily, even if McGregor's butt never touched the ground.

It's just sad that people don't know what a takedown is.

Perhaps. It is also sad that you have argued this fiercely for the definition of a takedown, but have never proffered a definition yourself.

How do the unified rules define a takedown?

What we have here is a what I call the Dan Hardy factor

A popular fighter that has excellent standup ( Hardy was medicore but that was a long time ago) who has got a title shot without fighting a top 4 opponent or more importantly a wrestler for Hardy ( Kos Fitch) and for Connor (Mendes Edgar) Personally I think the irishman would stop Swanson so it is not as bad as Hardy not fighting Alves, Unlike Hardy though Connor has a excellent shot of winning the belt, then getting wrestlefucked into oblivion by either Edgar or Mendes. Big payday for the ufc though

My thoughts exactly.

Perhaps. It is also sad that you have argued this fiercely for the definition of a takedown, but have never proffered a definition yourself.

How do the unified rules define a takedown?

Your have to be down, with your opponent securing the position. Does it really need to be pointed out that you cant execute a takedown without a guy's ass or back ever touching the canvas AT ALL?

Edi: I misread that. Why would the Unifed Rules need to tell anyone what a takedown is? It's not in there. It also doesn't as what a guard pass is. Does that need to be in there for you to be able to describe what it looks like?

Last edited:
Anyone would be taken down if they were charging forward like Conor was there.

I think when he fights a real elite grappler he'll be much more cautious.

Back