"Conor McGregor has no takedown defense."

Frankie Edgar has 38%

That 5 percent is a real game changer :rolleyes:
Frankie has secured 56 TDs inside the Octagon against fighters with arguably the best TDD in the game (Aldo, Maynard, BJ, Benson, etc).

Dennis Siver has taken down Nam Phan.

Siver got in deep on the double and Conor still did not get taken down. Siver took down Cub.

Siver took Cub after he caught his spinning kick. Can't compare it to this shot. And that wasn't a "deep double".

The thing that you can compare with the Cub fight is that Conor got right back up. A little different situation, but still comparable IMO.

doc-rivers.gif

lol! Can't say any more than that.

If my memory is not mistaken Lentz did not call out Conor until he could not fight him. Either way Conor has taken every fight offered, and has not made any attempt to avoid anyone, and DID call out the top 5.

No dude, just no.

Frankie has secured 56 TDs inside the Octagon against fighters with arguably the best TDD in the game (Aldo, Maynard, BJ, Benson, etc).

Dennis Siver has taken down Nam Phan.

Apparently Siver took down Gray Maynard twice.

He took down Manny Gamburyan, which is fucking notable to me because of Manny's judo base.

Apparently Siver took down Gray Maynard twice.
Seriously?
I'll be honest. I don't even remember the fight.

I'll give you Manny, even if he's an old man now. His Judo, if nothing else, is still on point.

I just looked at stats on UFC.com. Yeah, I don't remember it either and it seemed weird to me too.

Siver had a trip in round 2. That's it as far as TDs. Just one.

EDIT: UFC.com says the same thing. The fuck you smoking brah?

Lol. I am just amused by the seriousness with which the technical definition of a takedown is being taken by some here. I could see it mattering in wrestling, where points are awarded directly for successful takedowns. But in MMA, why does it matter whether his butt touched the ground?

Do you think a judge should have considered that sequence more seriously if it had? I do not.

Yes, because Conor used impressive skill to prevent being taken down. It's the difference between a kick hitting the face or missing by a mm. I think weak takedowns that do land are scored too high. Either way Conor worked hard and had amazing timing and instincts and prevented the takedown. Simply getting a double leg doesn't score, you need to finish it.

I see your point, but I think it does matter.

Any time you get a guy off his feet and he lands back on his feet without going down should be a takedown?

I dont think it should count but technically, Connor WAS down. You cant kick an opponant in the head when they have one hand on the mat because that is what is considered a 'downed opponant'.

Im not arguing it was a TD. Mostly I am saying that the rules need to be changed to be more clear. Specifically, I'd like to see the hand on the mat rule changed.

Lol. I am just amused by the seriousness with which the technical definition of a takedown is being taken by some here. I could see it mattering in wrestling, where points are awarded directly for successful takedowns. But in MMA, why does it matter whether his butt touched the ground?

Do you think a judge should have considered that sequence more seriously if it had? I do not.

Are you kidding? One TD can sway a round one way or the other and that means it can sway the entire fight if it goes to decision. If you care about the sport at all then defining what exactly constitutes a TD is critical.

If my memory is not mistaken Lentz did not call out Conor until he could not fight him. Either way Conor has taken every fight offered, and has not made any attempt to avoid anyone, and DID call out the top 5.

Nah they were both good to go. I know I'm going to get shit for this as always, but I sat with McGregor's management and they asked me about the Lentz matchup (knowing they weren't going to listen to me). I said it should happen but they were very clear Lentz couldn't create a fun fight and no casuals would care.

They also mentioned that UFC essentially manages him. They just are lucky enough to reap the rewards.

This.. the fight showed that even if someone like mendes or edgar got him down - it would be brief and he would get up straight away.

It didn't show that at all, A German kick boxer taking someone down for a split second isn't comparable to Mendes or Edger securing a TD

Nah they were both good to go. I know I'm going to get shit for this as always, but I sat with McGregor's management and they asked me about the Lentz matchup (knowing they weren't going to listen to me). I said it should happen but they were very clear Lentz couldn't create a fun fight and no casuals would care.

They also mentioned that UFC essentially manages him. They just are lucky enough to reap the rewards.

Oh my God. hahahahahaha

It's just sad that people don't know what a takedown is.

I dont think it should count but technically, Connor WAS down. You cant kick an opponant in the head when they have one hand on the mat because that is what is considered a 'downed opponant'.

Im not arguing it was a TD. Mostly I am saying that the rules need to be changed to be more clear. Specifically, I'd like to see the hand on the mat rule changed.

Not at all the same. That's like saying putting someone in a front head lock and them putting their hand on the ground is "down".

Just because take down and downed opponent both have down in them does not mean they are related.

Hand on the mat rule should be changed. Take down requires the back or hips (butt) to be down, Conor prevented his butt from hitting the ground, that's why it's a defense.

Which means Conor did not duck anyone, it's just a fight that did not make sense. I have little doubt Conor would beat Lentz, and then Sherdog would scream he was protected because he did not face a top 5 wrestler and was given an easy one.

Conor was protected, no doubt, that's not the same as ducking.

Back