"Conor McGregor has no takedown defense."

What we have here is a what I call the Dan Hardy factor

A popular fighter that has excellent standup ( Hardy was medicore but that was a long time ago) who has got a title shot without fighting a top 4 opponent or more importantly a wrestler for Hardy ( Kos Fitch) and for Connor (Mendes Edgar) Personally I think the irishman would stop Swanson so it is not as bad as Hardy not fighting Alves, Unlike Hardy though Connor has a excellent shot of winning the belt, then getting wrestlefucked into oblivion by either Edgar or Mendes. Big payday for the ufc though

Except Dan Hardy just barely squeaked by Swick and was clearly not ready for a title shot.

You honestly think he's going to get wrestlefucked like Swanson?

He's insanely big and strong, he's also very well conditioned. He showed solid TDD against Barao and he popped right up against Siver (who has really good TDs and he's extremely strong).

I'm not doubting that he'll get takedown by Frankie or Mendes, but I highly doubt it would be a 5 round grapplefuck. He's a brown belt, plus he grapples with one of the best BJJ guys out there (Nelson).

Just because he hasn't fought wrestlers, it doesn't mean he has zero TDD.

More importantly, than that McGregor fights smarter than Swanson. Swanson was chasing Frankie down just GIVING him the takedown. When he didn't do that, he was able to stop the takedown fine.

Except Dan Hardy just barely squeaked by Swick and was clearly not ready for a title shot.

Agreed I said that numerous times but the UFC hype machine was in full swing and what we got what was one of the shittest main events ever, Where GSP failed to pull the trigger and rip his arm out of his socket, I'm not taking anything away from Connor here I recon his the best style match up for Aldo to date and that is a massive compliment to him. However he has not fought a top 5 fighter with a wrestling base, Mendes is a beast so is Edgar, People saying Edgar is way to small have to remember he was a champ in lw,

Money Mendes is a terrible match up for Connor anway you look at it. Jose Aldo is number 2# p4p at the moment if Connor wins that he is a legit champ but there will always be that question hanging over his head until he beats one of the fighters I mentioned.

Agreed I said that numerous times but the UFC hype machine was in full swing and what we got what was one of the shittest main events ever, Where GSP failed to pull the trigger and rip his arm out of his socket, I'm not taking anything away from Connor here I recon his the best style match up for Aldo to date and that is a massive compliment to him. However he has not fought a top 5 fighter with a wrestling base, Mendes is a beast so is Edgar, People saying Edgar is way to small have to remember he was a champ in lw,

Money Mendes is a terrible match up for Connor anway you look at it. Jose Aldo is number 2# p4p at the moment if Connor wins that he is a legit champ but there will always be that question hanging over his head until he beats one of the fighters I mentioned.

I can see where you coming from but no one thought Dan Hardy was gonna win. Also if McGregor stops Aldo I have no doubt in my mind he would beat Edgar and Mendes.

Can you explain why people should not count this as a takedown that occurred in a fight?

Because it wasn't a takedown. Conor's back never touched the canvas. Hell, his ass didn't touch either.

What do you think a takedown is?

yeah, how dare conor have flaws in his game. fuck him for preferring to strike and be entertaining. he should be a more well-rounded martial artist like nik lentz. everyone would prefer that.

Can you explain why people should not count this as a takedown that occurred in a fight?

I think the only thing that touched the ground was McGregor's hand, I don't even think he butt touched the mat.

I guess you could count that as a TD, regardless he sprung back up and that was pretty impressive.

Dennis Siver has 33% TD accuracy inside the UFC.

13 successful
39 total

I think the only thing that touched the ground was McGregor's hand, I don't even think he butt touched the mat.

I guess you could count that as a TD, regardless he sprung back up and that was pretty impressive.

You CAN'T count that. Don't concede this shit man. What kind of sport is this where you can just decide that something happened that didn't happen?

That was an attempt by Siver that was successfully defended.

ibzU9Kpbcvwfgl.gif

It's clear as day that no part of him but his hand even touched the mat except for his hand.

I was impressed. I can also understand your explanation why it was not a takedown, but calling it a takedown is far from crazy, which is what I was reacting to.

I was impressed. I can also understand your explanation why it was not a takedown, but calling it a takedown is far from crazy, which is what I was reacting to.

I'm sorry, but how is it not crazy? His ass didn't even touch the canvas. Can you explain to me why someone should think this is a takedown?

You CAN'T count that. Don't concede this shit man. What kind of sport is this where you can just decide that something happened that didn't happen?

That was an attempt by Siver that was successfully defended.

ibzU9Kpbcvwfgl.gif

It's clear as day that no part of him but his hand even touched the mat except for his hand.

I agree, I don't count that as a TD. I was just saying if it *was*, Conor jumping right up is pretty impressive in itself.

Dennis Siver has 33% TD accuracy inside the UFC.

13 successful
39 total

Thank you. I love the guy but pretending that getting up after he takes you down is equivalent to a Mendes or Lentz shot and control is insane.

Obviously McGregor is going to get very good at TDD. Everyone knows where his weakness is and he's avoided competition that could exploit it... for the specific reason that he needed to work on it. Lentz was ready. Lentz was ranked higher. Lentz posed more problems. Thus Lentz was avoided.

Which is solid, Mendes is 52% (according to UFC)

A lot of the good wrestlers though have deceptive takedown percentages, because they use fake shots as a part of their arsenal more to set up strikes with no intent to successfully complete a takedown, yet it goes against their stats.

I'm more about percentage of rounds in which a takedown was completed & number of takedowns completed in rounds that were lost also.

Back