"Conor McGregor has no takedown defense."

If Siver cannot take down McGregor, what makes some people think Edgar or Mendez can?

Siver is one best wrestlers at FW, easily top 3 of all time.

I would not go that far, but Siver's wrestling is clearly underrated on Sherdog. I think it's less Siver and more people's desire to minimize Conor's win and performance.

He'll also fight Mendes and Aldo a bit differently than he fought Siver. While Siver does have underrated takedowns, he's most dangerous on the feet and his transitional game isn't terribly refined. Against high level chain wrestlers like Edgar and Mendes, I imagine that he'd be a bit more cautious when applying pressure knowing that they have the ability to potentially ground him for an extended period. He'll still throw those hopping switch kicks and the spinning shit because that's just who he is but he won't rush in with the same upright stance that he utilized against Siver.

That's where I think the problem will come in. Some guys look great when they're able to pressure their opponents without risk of the TD. Conor's definitely one of those, but it's a totally different ballgame when you have a strong wrestler pressuring you. That's one of the reasons why I like the Aldo matchup for Conor better than the Mendes/Edgar matchups.

Also, for everyone crying about his quick ascension to title contention, remember that Anderson fought for the title after one fight against an unranked Chris Leben.

Aldo has already fought and beaten all the other top contenders. McGregor is a fun matchup and a unique threat. Great fight.

I agree. It's the matchup to make in that division right now. I wouldn't say that he's beaten an elite contender yet, but Aldo's beaten all of those guys already, and it's a fun fight that the fans want to see. It also brings a lot more attention to the division, which is never a bad thing.

I don't really care if Conor got taken down or not, but it's interesting people resort to fightmetric like it's an open-and-shut-case when it benefits them, but other times when you're arguing about significant strikes, suddenly it's off the table for some reason. Basically no one's ever wrong on Sherdog.

I would not go that far, but Siver's wrestling is clearly underrated on Sherdog. I think it's less Siver and more people's desire to minimize Conor's win and performance.

I should have posted the fine print / disclaimer:

fabriciowerdum_weirdface_display_image.jpg

No. Siver is a decent wrestler, but that's about it. He isn't even a consistently successful fighter. He got his top 10 ranking by beating Diego Nunes and even at LW, he wasn't elite. Remember how easily Cerrone starched him? Even against Cub, he barely won a round. In the next 2 rounds he was beaten up until Cub landed a ridiculous combo (more impressive than McGregor's finishing sequence) to drop him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back