Conor McGregor -exposed, mystique diminished...

How would you categorize it? Because Mendes is a fantastic wrestler, and Conor did manage to stop 3 out of 7 takedowns, which against a wrestler of that caliber isn't exactly garbage.

If the standard is you have to be competitive with the divisions best wrestler or your wrestling is garbage, then your metrics are useless.

I never said it was garbage ffs. I said that many claimed Mendes' wrestling would be nothing to Conor, whether it be due to size, relative skill, whatever...

And yes we're talking about players in the top of the division. If Conor wants to be champ, these are the guys he has to be put beside. All I'm saying is he has weaknesses relative to others at the top. It doesn't mean his strengths can't help him overcome weaknesses, we saw that versus Mendes. Wrestling Conor would potentially be a surer path to victory than standing with him, no? Sheesh so many of you are so defensive of the lurvable leperchaun...

Clearly many here still feel like Conor wasn't exposed against Mendes.

I saw Conor KTFO Chad in less than 2, with Chad curled up in a little ball.

p66l6Nk.jpg

somebody made connor into a gothic male stripper

Shane carwin exposed brock lesnar in defeat, Chad mendes couple take downs which were to be expected anyway exposed nothing. If anything showed he can get up when taken down. He is like a small chuck Liddell

Wait, did he get up or did Chad go for a submission which gave Conor an opening to get up?

Conor could prepare 5 years at this point and still not be prepared for Mendes' wrestling. Aldo has good wrestling, good enough to take Conor Mc down and control him. Funny how Conor Mc says he doesn't care about his opponents' strengths, that he only focuses on his own abilities, but his fans claim he didn't train for a wrestler before fighting short camp Chad Mini as the reason he looked so lost on the mat.

I'm inclined to agree with your assertion. Conor fans are acting as though the extra preparation would have helped him in the grappling department, beyond what we saw in the fight. They don't understand that it takes years of practice to develop a decent wrestling acumen, including those subtle motor patterns that facilitate the type of take-down defense required to hang with someone like Mendes. He's managed to get by with size and dangerous striking to this point, but that isn't enough to stay on the top of the heap for long.

Champions don't spend the bulk of the round on their backs, forgoing any attempt at a submission and staring at the referee and begging for a standup.

I never said it was garbage ffs. I said that many claimed Mendes' wrestling would be nothing to Conor, whether it be due to size, relative skill, whatever...

People said Aldo would KO Chad the second time. Is Aldo exposed?

You're going with the most extreme opinion of the most extreme fan. They'll follow Conor's hype no matter what happens. Everybody else expected what happened to happen, so the general opinion of McGregor from supporters hasn't changed.

cant we drop this? chad and his trainers both said that hes always in shape and ready.

connor put him down in the 2nd round.

I'm inclined to agree with your assertion. Conor fans are acting as though the extra preparation would have helped him in the grappling department, beyond what we saw in the fight. They don't understand that it takes years of practice to develop a decent wrestling acumen, including those subtle motor patterns that facilitate the type of take-down defense required to hang with someone like Mendes. He's managed to get by with size and dangerous striking to this point, but that isn't enough to stay on the top of the heap for long.

Champions don't spend the bulk of the round on their backs, forgoing any attempt at a submission and staring at the referee and begging for a standup.

Conor stuffed most of the takedowns. Most of the ones Chad got were when Conor threw with reckless abandon. Using strikes that don't leave openings is easier to train, and Conor showed he can stuff Chad's takedowns.

Aldo's offensive wrestling is the most underrated part of his game. You're going to be proven wrong.

Who was the last opponent he took down? He out wrestled Hominick, but other than against Hominick he has rarely even attempted a takedown. We have rarely seen him in top position at all aside from that, a bit against a legless Faber and Manny, but really what is there to judge his td's on within the past few years?

He went from the underdog against Aldo to the favorite. His hype has skyrocketed, not diminished.

Who was the last opponent he took down? He out wrestled Hominick, but other than against Hominick he has rarely even attempted a takedown. We have rarely seen him in top position at all aside from that, a bit against a legless Faber and Manny, but really what is there to judge his td's on within the past few years?

This kid can't be serious.

You should probably watch some Aldo fights before you spew untrue stuff.

Conor stuffed most of the takedowns. Most of the ones Chad got were when Conor threw with reckless abandon. Using strikes that don't leave openings is easier to train, and Conor showed he can stuff Chad's takedowns.

Lol@ this kid believing strikes don't leave openings.

All strikes leave openings.

Saying shit like that is just dumb and against all properties of fighting.

I have no issue giving credit where its due, he did manage to shrug Chad off of him during a few of the drives for a takedown; his ability to scramble during the guillotine attempts were even better.

Some maintain the opinion that Conor would have looked even better had he been training for Mendes the entire camp, I only argue that a couple months of extra grappling would have a minimal difference in the way of tangibility, based on what I observed during the bout. One might make the converse argument denoting Chads elite wrestling skill set and Conor's ability to bring about of a victory in spite of it. From that perspective, you could make the assertion that Conor did rather well on the ground. From a pure grappling standpoint, however, I thought he looked terrible.

Last edited:
Conor looked human fighting Mendes. In his other ufc fights, it basically looked like an amateur against a pro. I look forward to anyone beating Conor, not because I dislike him, but because his fans mostly sound like A holes

This kid can't be serious.

You should probably watch some Aldo fights before you spew untrue stuff.

Aside from Hominick and KZ who did Aldo take down? Maybe you need to watch some fights.

Lol@ this kid believing strikes don't leave openings.

All strikes leave openings.

Saying shit like that is just dumb and against all properties of fighting.

And you cement yourself as a clueless moron. Conro was practically leaping into Chad's arms for takedowns. Any time Chad tried to get a takedown without Conor giftwrapping it Chad struggled.

I have no issue giving credit where its due, he did manage to shrug Chad off of him during a few of the drives for a takedown; his ability to scramble during the guillotine attempts were even better.

Some maintain the opinion that Conor would have looked even better had he been training for Mendes the entire camp, I only argue that a couple months of extra grappling would have a minimal difference in the way of tangibility, based on what I observed during the bout. One might make the converse argument denoting Chads elite wrestling skill set and Conor's ability to bring about of a victory in spite of it. From that perspective, you could make the assertion that Conor did rather well on the ground. From a pure grappling standpoint, however, I thought he looked terrible.

My point is that Conor's defensive wrestling was on point. Most of the takedowns resulted from Conor's wild striking. He could have worked on tightening it up and striking combos that don't leave open holes for take downs.

My point is not that anything would have been changed, only that it's very possible he could have altered his training successfully for Chad.

Sure, he was taken down by the most elite wrestler in the division and possibly all of MMA, but didn't we all know that was going to happen? The question was always this: what was Conor going to do when that inevitably did happen? At that point what I saw from Conor was some good sub defense, good elbows from the bottom and great composure despite being in a bad spot and eating some heavy blows. You are viewing things through hate colored lenses my friend.

Aside from Hominick and KZ who did Aldo take down? Maybe you need to watch some fights.

And you cement yourself as a clueless moron. Conro was practically leaping into Chad's arms for takedowns. Any time Chad tried to get a takedown without Conor giftwrapping it Chad struggled.

Look you didn't even read the post I was replying too. If you're going to talk shit at least understand what you're talking shit about or for. LOL

Calling me the clueless moron after you just posted this dog shit?

On top of being clueless, you're also bias and delusional.

Gift wrapped takedowns. Give me a fucking break, Conor got taken down fair and square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back