Conor McGregor and Chuck Liddell: More Similar Than You'd Think?

Epicman1324

PED Test = DQ from GOAT discussions
@Green
Reaction score
I'll just cut to the chase. Conor McGregor and Chocolate L's career trajectory and downfall are incredibly similar.

• Both Conor and Chuck started hot, captivating the sport with flashy KO's. Dana was in their corner from the very start.
  • They gain enough traction to earn a title shot, and something funky happens with the long reigning, dominant champ. Tito ducks Chuck, citing their friendship and contract negotiations, and Aldo pulls out of the McGregor fight with an injury. Both Aldo and Tito were lampooned for this, although Tito more so (rightfully, I might add)
  • They reach the mountain top, and they have the UFC in the palm of their hand almost. In Conor's case, this is after Alvarez rather than Aldo.
  • Both are the biggest stars in the UFC at their respective time. Liddell is famous throughout the USA, and is likely the only MMA fighter most Americans could name at the time. Conor had the same recognition, albeit throughout the entire world rather than just the U.S.
  • Then the losses start coming. Chuck gets KTFO by Rampage, Conor gets stopped by Mayweather. Then embarrassed by Khabib.
  • They rebound with captivating performances against guys who would proceed to diminish these victories with their own incoming losses. Chuck over Wanderlei, Conor over Cerrone.
  • They turned the corner, they're gonna rebound strong, right? Wrong. Chuck proceeds to get blasted into unconsciousness by Shad, Shogun, and Ace. McGregor gets worked by Poirier twice over, once because he had no idea that leg kicks existed, the next because he thought leg kicks were the only thing that existed. What a shame.
  • Both got obvious preferential treatment throughout their career from Uncle Dana.
  • Both are "speculated" to have indulged heavily in an intense party lifestyle full of booze and coke.
  • Despite their losses, they remained pop culture icons
  • Chuck lost to Tito in 2018 in one of the most depressing in sad fashions possible. McGregor will match this by losing to a Paul brother by 2024, don't worry.

Overall, it's not a Lincoln-Kennedy type coincidence, but their careers are still remarkably similar. It's fitting, after all, Chuck partially inspired McGregor to be an MMA fighter himself.
960.jpg

<{danawhoah}><HisEye>{<Mcgoat}

Chuck and Conor are nothing alike except they are white and love coke.....and they were/are UFC stars.

Other then that....nothing.

Chuck and Conor are nothing alike except they are white and love coke.....and they were/are UFC stars.

Other then that....nothing.

He literally laid down like 15 different similarities for your lazy ass.

Good thread TS, I agree with your take, there are clearly some parallels. I’d also add that Chuck’s trip to Japan is like Conor’s fights with Nate (side show that ended badly for both).

Back