Conor: Khabib is formidable. His striking sharp.

Khabib has outstruck every guy he's ever fought, and a lot of his opponents like Iaquinta and Conor have praised his striking, yet some people will still say he has "amateurish striking".
it may very well be effective.

however to the casual it does look amateurish.

if he were to rely on his striking as much as his grappling it would be a different story.

How come Kevin Lee who has a similar takedown threat is nowhere near as successful with the striking?

because kevin lee only double legs guys he has no upperbody clinch game a guy like khabib can falll into takedowns easy from an underhook something shooters like lee cant do

50664964_594849274296787_8623646133903687680_n.jpg
You owe me money foe a cleaner.. I spiled coffee on my shirt and still can't stop laughing.. The tatoos are the icing on a cake LOL..

How come Kevin Lee who has a similar takedown threat is nowhere near as successful with the striking?
Kevin Lee doesn't have a similar takedown threat. He's a very good wrestler, but I don't think anyone is particularly afraid of his ground game. If anything, I'd say he's turned into a guy who primarily boxes, with takedowns mixed in. Conversely, people are absolutely terrified of Khabib's ground game, which is why they freeze up on the feet; they're more worried about stuffing takedowns than actually striking.

I'd say Khabib's striking is underrated, but it is a bit amateurish. He's similar to GSP (although GSP had better striking); their success on the feet is predicated on the threat of takedowns. In the end, the point is moot though. Khabib is a monster. He's figured out how to mix it all together in such a way to be successful at the highest level of the sport.

because kevin lee only double legs guys he has no upperbody clinch game a guy like khabib can falll into takedowns easy from an underhook something shooters like lee cant do
Lee has shown upper body clinch takedowns too, watch his fights against Barboza and Mustafaev.

Khabib has outstruck every guy he's ever fought, and a lot of his opponents like Iaquinta and Conor have praised his striking, yet some people will still say he has "amateurish striking".
He also outstruck RDA and Barboza.

His striking is much better than what you'd read on Sherdog.

Khabib seems to have a very good chin and he probably was never mistreated learning how to box because his father had some influence in these circles or he just had a responsible coach.

He's a strong dude and doesn't doubt himself, his cardio is good compared to people he smothers on the ground, has good instincts and all that make him dangerous on the feet.

If he gets KTFO once or twice and he becomes hesitant, then his flaws might be exploited. But he won't.

He makes a bunch of excuses after but at least he gave some credit

He seems a bit older now as well.

Tom-Hanks-orly.gif
C'Mon Conor, Don't do that; The man hasn't lost a fight you've lost 4 in the same exact fashion; tapout...

Lee has shown upper body clinch takedowns too, watch his fights against Barboza and Mustafaev.
grabbing a body lok and using power to get someone down isnt the same as the greco sambo takedowns that khabib does khabibs upperbody clinch game is much better than lees

Haters going to hate

Khabib has good striking for sure.

He does stick his chin up a little high, but he moves decently and throws a good variety of punches.

His striking definitely seems like it's getting better each fight.

Obviously the threat of the takedown is there, but the guy has good hands.

They’re definitely getting better. Far from great yet but they’re good enough to allow him to work while standing. At his improvement rate, we might see a significant leap in his hands after this suspension is up...which would make him scary as fuck to all contenders.

Back