Conor, Khabib, and Cain: Contrasting careers

Jawbox01

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A breakdown of each fighter with a short analysis.

Conor: 9-1 in the UFC in a timespan of 3 and a half years. 2 belts. 5 High level opponents: We all know their names by heart and Poirier is included here by being ranked 5 in FW when facing Conor.

Khabib: 8-0 in the UFC and has been with the organization 5 years. 2 high level wins. RDA and Michael Johnson.

Cain Velasquez: 12-2 in the UFC in 8 and a half years. 11 total opponents. Against Top competition Cain has 5 fights and is 3-2. I decided to be generous and say for the sake of argument that Lesnar counts as an elite win.

My point in all this is that there is a huge price to pay for overtraining and wasted potential. Conor will likely surpass Cain's fight total in HALF the time. Khabib still has a chance to right the ship and make amends, but 2 fights against top competition is pathetic in comparison. Thoughts?

Last edited:
you are being generous to count beaing the champion (Lesnar) as an elite win ???

dude pls...

I know the division is weak, but Cain should be cut.

you are being generous to count beaing the champion (Lesnar) as an elite win ???

dude pls...
Lesnar doesn't compare to Werdum, JDS, or any PRIDE HW GOATS in their prime. But you are mostly right. But Lesnar getting crushed by Overeem and then retiring was not a good look.

This is not just about activity, otherwise Cerrone would be the GOAT. It's about how you do in big fights, and how many of them were truly memorable.

This is not just about activity, otherwise Cerrone would be the GOAT. It's about how you do in big fights, and how many of them were truly memorable.

I think u went a bit off topic.

The point was the activity levels between the 3, and how much overtraining affects your potential, when with almost 3x the career length only has 50% more fights because of injuries.

Cain spent majority of his prime rehabbing, and you can see Conor being a prime example of what a smart training camp actually accomplishes.

Point of the post is Cain needs to doa lot of touch butt in the park

Agreed. Even Luke is missing significant time in his prime because of the same style of (over)training as Cain.

Jesus Christ's ministry on Planet Earth was 3 and a half years. Conor McGregor has been with the UFC the same amount of time. Coincidence?

Even I will admit, none of it will matter if Conor loses to Khabib next year.

Respect to Cain and an NCAA wrestling great in all seriousness. He is not as boring as Fitch at least. The more respect and grace that the UFC shows to injured fighters like Cain, the more understanding they will be to the superstars like Conor and Ronda when they pull out due to injury. I hope Cain gets that rematch with Werdum soon if he is medically cleared soon.

for the sake of argument that Lesnar counts as an elite win.
Lol... you're talking about the guy who won the belt 3 times in a row before Cain fought him. Not sure what more you would want in order to qualify Lesnar as an elite opponent.

brock belt 1.jpg brock belt 2.jpg brock belt 3 carwin.jpg

Khabib still has a chance to right the ship and make amends, but 2 fights against top competition is pathetic in comparison. Thoughts?
Can't believe I'm actually gonna defend Khabib here (this may be a first) but his lack of top competition isn't entirely his fault. Sure, some of the responsibility is his for his injuries and all that, but he didn't decide to fight Horcher, the UFC gave him that fight. He signed 2 contracts to fight for the title and the UFC revoked both and gave the fight to Conor.

That said, he's ducking Aldo and he needs to take responsibility for his physical health because that's a huge part of being a professional athlete. If he can stay healthy he'll face more elite competition in the near future but if not, he's not going to get that title shot because there's no guarantee he wouldn't get injured again and potentially ruin a card.

Can't believe I'm actually gonna defend Khabib here (this may be a first) but his lack of top competition isn't entirely his fault. Sure, some of the responsibility is his for his injuries and all that, but he didn't decide to fight Horcher, the UFC gave him that fight. He signed 2 contracts to fight for the title and the UFC revoked both and gave the fight to Conor.

That said, he's ducking Aldo and he needs to take responsibility for his physical health because that's a huge part of being a professional athlete. If he can stay healthy he'll face more elite competition in the near future but if not, he's not going to get that title shot because there's no guarantee he wouldn't get injured again and potentially ruin a card.
I would kill to see Khabib vs Aldo. But I don't think Aldo has or would agree to such a matchup.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

-Somebody

He who forgets will be destined to remember.

-Eddie Vedder

I would kill to see Khabib vs Aldo. But I don't think Aldo has or would agree to such a matchup.
Aldo did accept that fight, actually. He said he accepted a fight against a LW (didn't say who) for the interim LW belt but the other fighter declined because "his father didn't think it was a good idea" - Khabib admitted it was him and made excuses for why he wouldn't fight Aldo (and then said everyone is ducking him - while he himself was ducking a FW).

I'd love to see that fight, and I'd love to see the winner fight Conor, but apparently Khabib doesn't want that title shot as badly as he claims.

And Conor tore his ACL in competition and was back within a year.

I get how his grating personality turns many people off, but objectively speaking, he is damn near the ideal fighter from a pure competition fan perspective.

I was and remain a pretty big Velasquez fan, but it is incredibly frustrating being one because the guy literally spent his prime in rehab.

I'd love to see that fight, and I'd love to see the winner fight Conor, but apparently Khabib doesn't want that title shot as badly as he claims.

Khabib is getting the title shot, not Aldo. He turned Aldo down because he knew that HE was the title component, not Aldo. Khabib is going to fight Tony, they are just getting Tony down to the number they all want.

Khabib is getting the title shot, not Aldo. He turned Aldo down because he knew that HE was the title component, not Aldo. Khabib is going to fight Tony, they are just getting Tony down to the number they all want.
Keep spinnin' and spinnin' away

Khabib said "no one wants a fight with me"
Aldo said "I accept"
Khabib said "no"

Spinnin' and spinnin' don't change facts

But you'll keep on spinnin' and spinnin, spinnin' and spinnin'

Back