Conor isn't obliged to take the toughest replacement fight

Then he shouldn't make statements about not caring "who" he fights. Otherwise he'll get called on it like anyone else.

Or... and I know this is crazy talk around here... or he could defend his FW belt like a champion is supposed to and Zuffa can go back to denying these obviously poorly thought out little gimmicks where a champ holds up his belt for most of a year (or now I guess 2 belts are being held up) with injuries or TUF coaching or media jaunts or weightclass jumping

It's to late for Connor to drop down. Are you seriously complaining about Connor holding up belts? He just beat Jose 2 months ago. He was going to fight for the LW belt in like ten days but RDA pulled out but you blame Connor for that? You do realize that Frankie is injured to? So he wouldn't have been able to fight at FW either. Aldo would have never been ready for a rematch in such a short amount of time because of the KO and he was suspended from training. So please explain to me what you think should have happened so Connor can fight by March 5?

I keep reading the same bullshit over and over again......"why doesnt he fight Ferguson, why not Khabib, why not Pettis, why not Cerrone whos in shape, why are they protecting him".........yaddieyaddieyaaaa.

Conor doesnt owe anyone jackshit. He could pull a Jones move and just back out of the event entirely. Yes we all know he's still fighting for that big payday, but the point remains that he's showing balls by endangering his current winning streak, image, and potential shot at the belt, all by taking on a different opponent within a weeks notice. He could very easily say that he wants a bit more prep time and fight somewhere next month.

Let us not forget how Jones didnt want to risk fighting Chael on a short notice, which was probably the biggest gimme fight in MMA history. The only time Anderson moved up to LHW was to fight guys like Irvin or Bonnar. Or how about Khabib who couldnt make the Ferguson fight in march, but all of the sudden is able to fight next week.

Conor isnt gonna risk losing his shot at the LW belt by taking the most dangerous fight available in order to please a bunch of hardcore fans. And why should he? He already was scheduled to fight the arguably biggest monster in the LW division, so who can blame him for being careful about ruining that fight later on this year.

PS: Stop underestimating and disrespecting Nate Diaz. Style wise this can be a very interesting fight, and not as an easy win as you guys make it out to be.

In a situation like this all he should be expected to do is take the fight that will bring in the best numbers, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Yeah, gender reassignment surgery apparently.
Sa3Xd.gif

All I ever remember GSP saying was he wanted to fight the best. If you're going to start gloating about 3 belts, and other complete shite. You better back it up. Conor is not doing that.

Being scheduled to fight the lightweight champion when you are the featherweight champion is in fact backing up his stated desire to hold three belts. Taking a fight at welterweight as a late replacement isn't far off either, because he's going to have to fight at welterweight against Lawler if he really wants three belts.

Except Nate Diaz IS the toughest fight for him atm.

Frankie was fight ready at that time. Mendes clearly wasn't. he was just offered a boatload of cash to fight him while they overlooked Frankie. For a very good reason.

Aaah yes, Frankie was fight ready. You know who was also saying that he was 100% in shape because he keeps in shape all year round, Chad Mendes. Surprise surprise, after the loss the two weeks prep time magically turned into a big issue. And yes I know, of course he was hyping the fight. But what makes you believe that Edgar wasnt simply hyping the fight when saying that he's in fighting shape.

Cerrone is a tough opponent? Nate is a bigger stylistic challenge. Cerrone would likely drop from one body shot and be folded under pressure before the fight even starts. It's classic cowboy.

I suppose you'd take an out of shape Nate over fight shape Cerrone? Is your name Conor? Cerrone lost two quick fights where he got hit in the liver by two of the very best guys at LW. Pettis kick and RDA. Of course that overshadows his 26 wins over some of the top guys in the division and means he's a can who will fall every time someone touches his body. Only on Sherdog, folks.

Cerrone was at least in shape and ready to fight.
I suppose you'd take an out of shape Nate over fight shape Cerrone? Is your name Conor? Cerrone lost two quick fights where he got hit in the liver by two of the very best guys at LW. Pettis kick and RDA. Of course that overshadows his 26 wins over some of the top guys in the division and means he's a can who will fall every time someone touches his body. Only on Sherdog, folks.

It's all about money. People would rather pay to see Diaz and it makes sense to save the card. 300k YouTube viewers for the first press conference speaks volumes. The same success probably wouldn't have been seen choosing Cerrone. Who said he's a can and will fall to anyone? He would be fighting one of the best strikers in the UFC, he would very likely be able to find his body.

Guess the constant posts of hate are okay, but a thread defending his choice of opponent is immediately considered sad nuthuggery?

Hey you're right, he's had handpicked opponents by the UFC, why stop now

Sherdog for you: other half whines how much haters Conor has. The other half how much fanboys Conor has.

It's the land of whiny happy people.

Let me get this straight. He was scheduled to fight the champion of a higher weight class, the best fighter in that division. That champion pulls out of the fight and some of you think he was scared to fight X, Y, Z of that same division? Put the haterade down.. How many guys would fight two weight classes up and on short notice?

The only fighters available was Cerrone, Diaz, Petits, Edgar and Aldo.

Khabib was fighting Fergusson a month after this so them two guys could not be picked.

And he said he was El Chapo, and he said he was gonna bury Floyd in the desert, he said he's gonna take Aldo's head clean off. Obviously Conor like to say a lot of stuff, but he's not dumb. Again dont forget that he didnt pussyfoot around on his word that he will compete for the LW belt against RDA.

Out of all the champs that have been talking in the UFC about superfights, from GSP talking about fighting AS, from AS talking about fighting JBJ, from JBJ talking about moving up to HW, thus far Conor has been the only one in a long while that actually made true on his promise.

BJ Penn, baby. He deserves to be mentioned.

Guess the constant posts of hate are okay, but a thread defending his choice of opponent is immediately considered sad nuthuggery?

Dude there is like 5 different threads and 1000+ posts defending him. Take a look around and stop trying to push your agenda.

At least he's not bitching about the replacements.
I don't think Connie is ducking anybody. Dude is borderline insane at this point and will do anything for that check.

I'm not that big of a fan of him but he deserves respect for that.

Good lord, since when is Mendes an easy fight at FW? Like seriously? I dont know if you people remember that Mendes almost beat Aldo before the Conor fight. But all the sudden he became a can?

No kidding. And Mendes gave him a pretty good go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back