Conor is fighting Siver....Because of a tweet? Worst match making ever.

KoreanZawmbie

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Bz-uD3QCUAErZ03.jpg

@TheNotoriousMMA Nice suit u #lametrashtalker #OscarMcGregor #GoldDigger #Goblin @danawhite @ufc @lorenzofertitta
3:05 AM - 15 Oct 2014

Referring to this tweet.

Funny tweet, but Siver has no business fighting Mcgregor, thats pretty much fact.

He will lose quicker than he lost to Cerrone. Such a mismatch, physically and technically.

No.
Because Dana and Co. think that Conor will beat him easily

He's not fighting him because of a tweet. He's fighting him because they want Conor to fight but they don't want to risk him losing. They're fast tracking him to a title shot and they can't risk someone like Edgar or Mendes killing off his momentum. In case you haven't noticed, UFC hasn't exactly been the best at building stars in the last few years so this is a pretty big deal for them.

The #goblin really cracked me up when I first saw this

Siver and Lentz were the only two in the top ten without fights booked.

this is great matchmaking actually

easy fight for conor, he beats siver and then fights aldo which is the fight the UFC wants to happen

The #goblin really cracked me up when I first saw this

Same here. I wondered if it was a "lost in translation" thing, like he meant "troll," but I still laughed my ass off either way.

Why give him a quick easy road to the title fight to just get destroyed? Seems likes a waste. Make it a long easy road, then they can milk it even more.....before he gets destroyed.

i think that is the single greatest picture of me in a suit all time!

:icon_chee:icon_chee

Says the Irishman.

True, but they could have waited for a better fight.

Name a better fight and everyone will destroy your argument anyway. If you look at the FW top 10, there are not a lot of good fights for Mc Gregor. Don't forget, they are trying to lead him to a title shot, not slowly build him up.

Admit it, Mc Gregor has already built himself a brand. You don't need to slowly build his name, he's already got the star status. Why put him against the Lentz and the Lamas when you can accomplish the same thing with a Siver?

Besides, all the other fighters are coming off tough losses: Mendes has lost his title appeal after losing to the champ for the second time. Cub has been "exposed" by Frankie and needs a build up fight to get his confidence back. Bermudez was stopped fast in his last fight and all the other names are ranked out of the top 10.

You're left with Lentz and Lamas, both well ranked FW that could bring trouble to Mc Gregor. Both are mostly unknown to the casuals and would need some heavy marketing just to get basic recognition. Why waste it on them when you can put Siver out there, a tough veteran with highlight wins and losses who will most likely not bring too much trouble to "money" Mc Gregor?

Get over it, Siver is one of the most appropriate challenger for Mc Gregor at this point, this fight is marketing itself like a lucky charm!

Says the Irishman.

Conor specifically called it a "Stay busy get money fight".

I think the entire point is they didn't want to wait.

Obviously this fight is meant to be a predictable showcase fight. Still fun. I do think Conor needs to fight a powerful grappler before he gets a shitle tot doe.

Says the Irishman.

Champion : Jose Aldo

1 Chad Mendes

2 Frankie Edgar

3 Ricardo Lamas

4 Cub Swanson

5 Conor McGregor

6 Dustin Poirier

7 Dennis Bermudez

8 Nik Lentz

9 Charles Oliveira

10 Dennis Siver

The first three have already fought Aldo. Cub, Poirier and Bermudez just lost. Lentz Is booked for February. Oliveira has three wins but none over any opponent higher ranked that Conor's last opponent. As for Siver, he's top ten and available. Why have Conor on the side-line when there's a fight for him?

I hope no one here is going to suggest that Conor has to fight #1, #2, #3, and #4 contenders first before a title shot as such an approach could lead to no championship fights or constant rematches.

Considering some of the matches the UFC has put together in the last year and a bit, this one isn't nearly that bad.

How does Siver have no business fighting McGregor? Two top 10 Featherweights fighting seems like nothing out of the ordinary to me.

Back