Conor is doing to mma what Floyd did to boxing.

You are comparing Conor to Boxers. I am comparing Conor to MMA in comparison to Floyd to Boxing. I'm not saying their influence is equal or ever will be, I am saying their influence on their sport is similar, clearly we have a misunderstanding. As for news I meant sports/fight news such as ESPN,FOX Sports, TMZ Sports etc, I should have been more specific. For you to say Conor will never do X seems a bit biased, relative to other MMA althletes, he outshines them considerably.
It's hard to explain because like most Conor fans you see him as something more than he is.

Lidell, Lesnar,Rousey all had bigger influences in their day in the sport than Conor has. He simply was promoted more by the UFC than other MMA athletes, given more favorable fights to protect him and gain revunue for the company, Conor has done the job of a puppet really well.

But everyone who watches him realizes he's not a great fighter, like i said he has not only losses but recent losses, in his PRIME. nobody like that matters at all even 1 bit when were talking bout influcing a sport.

Maybe if he was some world beater we would always remember but so far he's behind BJ Penn in every aspect besides the UFC promotion. He would lose to current BJ most likely as well.

In your world yea the sport will forever be changed by your favorite fighter im sure haha. But to the rest of us were not seeing this Conor domination sports revolutionary you are.

Hes just another decent fighter like Edgar who's hot now but he'll be forgotten soon and somebody else will take his place. This happens often.

Learn about MMA history and youll see breaking records and this and that doesn't change the world.

Ask Andy and GSP who we will always remember. Still never changed the sport inside and out.

So again I say, you're over exaggerating Conor's weak influence. Hes not even a chuck lidell or Andy yet and you're saying he's going to alter the sport single handidly? That's some powerful nuthugging.

It's hard to explain because like most Conor fans you see him as something more than he is.

Lidell, Lesnar,Rousey all had bigger influences in their day in the sport than Conor has. He simply was promoted more by the UFC than other MMA athletes, given more favorable fights to protect him and gain revunue for the company, Conor has done the job of a puppet really well.

But everyone who watches him realizes he's not a great fighter, like i said he has not only losses but recent losses, in his PRIME. nobody like that matters at all even 1 bit when were talking bout influcing a sport.

Maybe if he was some world beater we would always remember but so far he's behind BJ Penn in every aspect besides the UFC promotion. He would lose to current BJ most likely as well.

In your world yea the sport will forever be changed by your favorite fighter im sure haha. But to the rest of us were not seeing this Conor domination sports revolutionary you are.

Hes just another decent fighter like Edgar who's hot now but he'll be forgotten soon and somebody else will take his place. This happens often.

Learn about MMA history and youll see breaking records and this and that doesn't change the world.

Ask Andy and GSP who we will always remember. Still never changed the sport inside and out.

So again I say, you're over exaggerating Conor's weak influence. Hes not even a chuck lidell or Andy yet and you're saying he's going to alter the sport single handidly? That's some powerful nuthugging.
Your condescension is showing. You're making a lot of assumptions based off of some observations I've made.

First of all, Conor has done plenty of self promotion and the UFC just amplified that.

Secondly, I've never once claimed for him to be a world beater or the best fighter yadda yadda, you're assuming I'm a "nutthugger" because I don't disregard any and everything he's done to some gimmick or favoritism. He is nowhere near my favorite fighter. I'm not talking about his fighting skill at all actually.

Thirdly, you seem to believe that I'm of the opinion that Conor is changing everything, he's not and i've not once claimed he is. I've stated because of his ability to garner a certain amount of money he's making things making things more like boxing as he's doing things as such, this is fact.

You say I'm nutthugging, but you just sound like a straight up hater.

RED: UTTER STUPIDITY BLUE: PURE HYPERBOLE/OPINION

I mentioned Frankie to show you that getting titleshots at another division without concretely having earned it at that division isnt something Conor exclusive. Guys like Frankie, Florian, Pettis, Sonnen have done it long before Conor. That was my point. And yes getting the LW belt after going 1-1 with Nate is questionable, but I think its not THAT ridiculous seeing as - and here I go again - he could have waited it out.

Also I doubt that Conor would have gotten a shot at the LW belt again any time soon had he decisively lost to Alvarez.

Anddd, Conor doesnt dwarf Alvarez, only in height a little bit maybe yes, but definitely not in total mass. He also didnt dwarf Poirier or Holloway.

Ok, fair points but I think we got a little off topic with the discussion.

My original point was that while Conor's UFC career has been impressive, there are guys who are on more impressive streaks and flying under the radar.

Conor is 9 and 1 in the UFC. He's got notable wins over Eddie Alvarez, Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Dustin Poirier, and a much less polished version of Max Holloway. He was finished by Nate Diaz, and kinda won the second fight, but not really.

Yoel Romero is 8-0 in UFC, with notable wins over Chris Weidman, Lyoto Machida, Jacare Sousa, Tim Kennedy and Derek Brunson.

If you look at them side by side, their UFC runs have been very comparable, and you could make a good case hat Romero's has been more impressive since he's undefeated. It's also well known that Bisping defending the title against Hendo was bullshit, and that Romero should have got the shot, and could easily be champ now.

Romero is just one example. My point is Conor's run has been good, but take away the title shots and special treatment, and he's pretty much the same as anyone else who's on a good streak, like Cerrone, like Khabib, like Max, like Yoel... like ALDO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back