Conor is doing to mma what Floyd did to boxing.

Canner McFaggor?
644837545424a8e40c7c8930a8807d8b16dfe5279e74eb5ac8e2921be109fe7c.jpg

I think the blame is on UFC for ruining the integrity of the sport. They could have made Conor defend but they wanted to protect him and punish Aldo. Conor receives special treatment and has an advantage over the competition by being allowed to selectively decide who he fights and when. UFC and Mcgregor are milking the time that Conor is champion because he is marketable. He'll probably only fight once a year and will take a break from the sport whenever there are worthy challengers available

I think the blame is on UFC for ruining the integrity of the sport. They could have made Conor defend but they wanted to protect him and punish Aldo. Conor receives special treatment and has an advantage over the competition by being allowed to selectively decide who he fights and when. UFC and Mcgregor are milking the time that Conor is champion because he is marketable. He'll probably only fight once a year and will take a break from the sport whenever there are worthy challengers available

Most certainly the blame is on the UFC, but they are a business and I can't blame them for taking an opportunity to make more money. I also don't really "blame" Conor either, it's just an effect of his presence and his way of doing things. I also think the matchmaking is much like Floyd in that it's the most advantageous fight for them financially and quickest to their goals.

As a fan of the sport one would like to see a rematch between Aldo and Conor, but why would he do that? It's not going to make him more money than fighting some other guy.

There's guys with 8, 9, 10 fight win streaks at the moment, and they're getting swept under the rug while Colin gets handed title shots after getting slapped around by Nate Diaz.

I don't think anyone with half a brain thinks he sucks at fighting, but let's not pretend there isn't more impressive fighters out there and let's not pretend he's not getting a big push from UFC for reasons that have little to do with his fighting ability.

First of let me applaud your brilliant joke where you wrote Colin instead of Conor

giphy.gif

Truly remarkable comedic genius. Sometimes I wonder if this place is actually for MMA fans because it seems to be filled with future stand-up comedy superstars comparable only to prime Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy.

But on topic, this is the amazing streak that Frankie was rocking before he finally got to challenge Aldo:

Loss to Benson (split)
Loss to Benson (unanimous)

Nobody cared.

Here are some other amazing streaks that other fighters had before they got to challenge Aldo:

KZ:
Dustin Poirer
Mark Hominick
Leonard Garcia

Kenny Florian:
Diego Nunes

Also lets completely ignore the fact that Conor initially got a shot at the LW belt because of what he had done to the FW division and Aldo. Only to have RDA pull out two weeks in advance, where Conor still took on a dangerous opponent instead of waiting it out like a shitload of other guys would have done (Rumble just a couple of weeks ago for example). He avenged his loss and then got his well deserved shot at the title.

Lol MMA fans(such as myself) are way too short sighted.

It wasnt long ago we were talking about Rousey beating floyd and making MMA about money/movies

We had Lesnar who drew numbers and everyone said MMA was dying and going to be run over by WWE fans.

List goes on and on. Conor just got his ass kicked not long ago and barely won the 2nd(most think he lost both times) and has ducked his worst style matchups with help from Dana who were pushing him hard to be a star. He will lose here shortly and be forgotten in a year and nothing will change. So chill. He isnt that powerful or important. Hes not on Oscar or Manny or Floyds money or skill level. They also have alot of clout outside the ring like Ali. Manny could be president of Philippine anytime he wanted.

You're over exaggerating Conors weak influence.

There's guys with 8, 9, 10 fight win streaks at the moment, and they're getting swept under the rug while Colin gets handed title shots after getting slapped around by Nate Diaz.

I don't think anyone with half a brain thinks he sucks at fighting, but let's not pretend there isn't more impressive fighters out there and let's not pretend he's not getting a big push from UFC for reasons that have little to do with his fighting ability.

Well, you just disqualified yourself as an objective poster, just like the "'McGoat' nuthuggers" that can't conceal their bias.

If you don't think he's one of the greatest fighters on Earth- and certainly the best FW on earth- you might need to revisit his career.

Floyd is undefeated, Conor got his fame mostly by talking and delusional white americans that somehiw think they are irish because of their great grandfather. That's a big difference.

There's nothing wrong with being a white American. The majority of people on the planet would probably choose both "white" and "American" as their race and nationality, given the choice. This is a truth that you need to cope with, as it's obviously an issue for you.

Race and nation aside, that's one stupid post. Hell, it's an ignorant post. Conor has "slapped around" everybody he's fought in the UFC. He showed up in 2013 and he immediately began surging unlike any fighter I've ever seen. He's only given so many opportunities because he keeps winning and, more importantly, he uses every bit of leverage he accumulates and parlays it all into his next big challenge.

His last 5 fights have been almost dead even, odds-wise. He was booked to fight Aldo- a huge challenge, one which probably had you laughing at his chances (or blindly cheering for the brown guy). The rug gers pulled out from underneath (this is a good time to imagine the bullshit that you'd have spewed if Conor had pulled out of that one), and he fights "the most dangerous matchup" in the division, Chad Mendes. Even I questioned his success against a wrestler.

Next fight, Aldo. 13 seconds. EVEN MONEY.

Immediately, he moves up in weight and challenges RDA, putting it all on the line. (even odds). He breaks his foot 10 days out. In steps Nate, who takes all he has and then embarrasses him.

Next? He uses all of his leverage and books the immediate rematch. Fuck the FW title. Fuck the LW title. He goes right after the guy that beat him, and he avenged the loss. Conor was a slight favorite.

Next fight, LW title. I'm sure you thought "Colin" would be embarassed by Eddie, who is only half-privileged. Conor smoked him at almost even odds.

So, why is Whiteboy always fighting guys at even odds, when Mayweather is usually somewhere between a 6-1 favorite and a 30-1 favorite (aside from his fights with Manny and Canelo, which were still 2-1 and 3-1)? Maybe you can argue that Floyd is fighting the best at their best, but he's just that much better. But yu can't argue that Conor is being protected. That was okay when he was fighting Dennis Siver.

Lol MMA fans(such as myself) are way too short sighted.

It wasnt long ago we were talking about Rousey beating floyd and making MMA about money/movies

We had Lesnar who drew numbers and everyone said MMA was dying and going to be run over by WWE fans.

List goes on and on. Conor just got his ass kicked not long ago and barely won the 2nd(most think he lost both times) and has ducked his worst style matchups with help from Dana who were pushing him hard to be a star. He will lose here shortly and be forgotten in a year and nothing will change. So chill. He isnt that powerful or important. Hes not on Oscar or Manny or Floyds money or skill level. They also have alot of clout outside the ring like Ali. Manny could be president of Philippine anytime he wanted.

You're over exaggerating Conors weak influence.
I hear you, but I disagree. The aforementioned Boxers have more influence and posses more skill in their respective craft, yes, but Conor has extreme influence more than any mma fighter for years. Evidence of this is shown by the Gate/PPV numbers and why he's in the news every week, people won't shut up about him etc. You can literally see the effect on the UFC from him far more than any other fighter.

He is a big draw and a self made millionaire to consider him a goat he would need to beat a few more legit guys out there. Tony, Habibi, Woodley/Thompson winner, Aldo/Holloway Winner.
Lets not forget Floyd beat legit top guys through out all weight classes not just one or two. He did do it over a 14 year period. So Mcgregor has his time to solidify himself as one the greatest.

I would give Silva, GSP and Jones a edge over him as all time greats

As a fan of the sport one would like to see a rematch between Aldo and Conor, but why would he do that? It's not going to make him more money than fighting some other guy.
I think that's what will lead to a decline in popularity of MMA. People want to see the best fighters in the world face off against one another. If a champion won't fight the top contenders then what's the point in having the title in the first place? I think Mcgregor has started a dangerous precedent, sure he is making lots of money for him and the UFC now but it won't be good for MMA in the long run. I think people will lose interest if this kind of thing continues

Yes, Conor has modernized mma with the roster-wide realization that in addition to striking, wrestling, and grappling, fighters need a Twitter coach.
If you dont have the skills,the trash talking is only going to take you so far. Conor has some elite level skills in his game. Sports illustrated didnt help keep Roger Huerta in the UFC.

I agree to an extent, but that is irrelevant. I'm not talking about the legitimacy of the two in comparison, i'm talking about the effect on the respective sports.

Any form of entertainment will be shady to some degree, I know that lol, I'm just saying because of the all encompassing type of attention they garner, it makes things worse.

Fair enough. But the gates to hell were always open. Conor just showed how best to dance for the devil. Chael gave us a very good blueprint beforehand. Hell, the UFC itself has 'made it all about themselves' for ages.

I cannot reasonably blame Conor for all this shit. I'd be quicker to blame our worship of convenience and consumerism before I blamed Conor as a man.

If you dont have the skills,the trash talking is only going to take you so far. Conor has some elite level skills in his game. Sports illustrated didnt help keep Roger Huerta in the UFC.
You're arguing a point nobody has made. As well as stating the obvious.
Tell me, do I have to keep breathing in order to live?

I think that's what will lead to a decline in popularity of MMA. People want to see the best fighters in the world face off against one another. If a champion won't fight the top contenders then what's the point in having the title in the first place? I think Mcgregor has started a dangerous precedent, sure he is making lots of money for him and the UFC now but it won't be good for MMA in the long run. I think people will lose interest if this kind of thing continues

Thankfully we're not at the point were champions are fighting a series of bums like many in boxing. One argue Conor has favorable mach-ups, but they're not garbage, many are very good. In my opinion I think a Champion should take on whoever, whenever provided they're healthy.

Fair enough. But the gates to hell were always open. Conor just showed how best to dance for the devil. Chael gave us a very good blueprint beforehand. Hell, the UFC itself has 'made it all about themselves' for ages.

I cannot reasonably blame Conor for all this shit. I'd be quicker to blame our worship of convenience and consumerism before I blamed Conor as a man.
Yep, Conor is just the best example of what the chimpanzees at the UFC are allowing to happen.
Exchanging the value of their belts and rankings for ppv numbers.

I dont think the situation is as bad as people making it out to be,except for the Conor divisions. For all Woodley's bullshit he fought Wonderboy and defended his title. Bispings going up against Yoel next.

Back