Conor is doing to mma what Floyd did to boxing.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Goh, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

I'm not going to write a long-winded articulate series of paragraphs no one is going to read, I'll try to make it short.

He's making it all about him, whether or not it's intentional, I have no idea and it doesn't really matter. This can be a good thing, but it can be awful too. Unlike with Floyd however, the game he was playing (boxing) was already pretty corrupt in it's own right and that corruption comes from money. Conor is doing huge numbers(relatively speaking) and that brings in a considerable amount of money and where there is money, corruption will follow.

Now elements of the model's UFC is based on exist but they are minor in comparison to the predecessors (WWE.BOXING.) For fans who are familiar with the lameness boxing money has created in that sport, know this.....it will soon be here. Cherry picking, Fights never happening because not enough money and all kinds of lame politics, annoying marketing techniques such as multiple belts( we kinda already see this with all the interim belts flying around like nobodies business.) Conroy McMoney has opened the gates of Hell and all the demons are crawling out.

A-ZIK and Which Doctor like this.
  2. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

There is a big transitionary period we are in right now. Fighters have to play a different game than before to keep up.

Which Doctor and Aforo88 like this.
  3. Arqueto

Arqueto 'luminous beings are we....not this crude matter'

tl;dr

Tamriel Terror, BenRichards and HHJ like this.
  4. Phi-

Phi- Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Floyd is undefeated, Conor got his fame mostly by talking and delusional white americans that somehiw think they are irish because of their great grandfather. That's a big difference.

5. Xenon_

Xenon_ Storytelling, women n the violence of the octagon

Half of the world is on fire... blacked-out battlefields over resources, kids being sent to test minefields, rape and pillage by the boatload. Starvation, scientific experiments...

Sorry about your sport haha

Nah, I'm being difficult for fun:) Conor is not to blame for the lack of integrity or whatever you want to call it. Fight promotions have always been this way. And while MMA is only young, the UFC started blurring the lines for money long before Conor turned up.

6. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

I agree to an extent, but that is irrelevant. I'm not talking about the legitimacy of the two in comparison, i'm talking about the effect on the respective sports.

Any form of entertainment will be shady to some degree, I know that lol, I'm just saying because of the all encompassing type of attention they garner, it makes things worse.

7. FlyingDeathKick

FlyingDeathKick Red Belt

They should make 3 belts per weight class and not have them be interim belts. Make them all legit belts but call them something different, like belt A, B and C for. That way fighters can duck eachother more and they can build up more champion vs champion matchups. That way it will be just like Boxing. They need more weight classes too.

Goh likes this.
  8. Sjb1888

Sjb1888 Silver Belt

All ruined by your childish cringe worthy "Conroy McMoney" at the end...

Is this seriously what passes for humor in your country, that kinda shit patter was enough to get you slapped in primary 3 back in my day...

It's not just fans, I'm baffled when almost every fighter on the roster comes out with a different variation of his name in an attempt at humor.

[​IMG]

9. NationWideNinja

NationWideNinja Brown Belt

Yeah his claim to fame definitely had nothing to do with running through the FW division in dominant and exciting fashion to eventually KO a top 3 GOAT in 13 seconds. No no, Conor is only good in talking, absolutely sucks at fighting.

10. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Im with ya there. It gets old.

Sjb1888 likes this.
  11. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Owned.

Goodfella86 and NationWideNinja like this.
  12. ThoseAreMyShoes

ThoseAreMyShoes Green Belt

This is deffo as a result of Connor's approach to who he fights. We now have lots of guys playing politics outside of the cage. That will be true legacy. But it has also brought the sport a higher profile and going forward fighters have the opportunity to earn proper money. So its not all bad.

Goh likes this.
  13. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

i think its natural for all of these situations to follow similar courses - human nature is similar and history repeats itself - people / businessesgo to great lengths to make money - the situations are obviously different for a variety of reasons and that should influence the outcomes or expectations, potentially - for example, the fact that the ufc is such a big influence and has a branding desire to keep things clean - does that impact stuff? it probably does to an extent, at the very least they dont want people to see obvious corruption - guys like conor are going to come along and when you have the option to make a lot of money, you're going to follow it - but i like that dynamic that the ufc is in charge of overall brand management of the sport, for the most part - boxing, with its many competing promotions, never had anyone with any desire to do anything but pillage the sport and make money in the near term - ufc has more of an incentive to push things out into the longer term - obviously though, there is a lot of corruption that likely goes on that we know nothing about - ufc doesnt fck around

14. ZuffaExecutive

ZuffaExecutive Red Belt

Except conor has avoided no one,floyd and manny didnt sign up for years and years.

Who has conor avoided?,he fought chad on short notice,he fought Aldo,signed to fight rda and fought nate who beat him,then he fought eddie.

Conor looks for the biggest fight possible and pursues it

Sjb1888 likes this.
  15. Koro_11

Koro_11 Silver Belt

There's guys with 8, 9, 10 fight win streaks at the moment, and they're getting swept under the rug while Colin gets handed title shots after getting slapped around by Nate Diaz.

I don't think anyone with half a brain thinks he sucks at fighting, but let's not pretend there isn't more impressive fighters out there and let's not pretend he's not getting a big push from UFC for reasons that have little to do with his fighting ability.

A-ZIK and tombombadil like this.
  16. Fullmount Triangle

Fullmount Triangle Don't Let Them Force Feed You.

it really is a very, very negative thing. Floyd Mayweather messed up boxing for the future, he created a model for people to follow, and when he left nobody could fill that void properly, so it's a bunch of people following his model without the pull to justify it.

McGregor isn't quite as influential, but he has created a chain reaction of interim titles and a culture of "HE'S DUCKING THIS FIGHTER BRO" in the fanbase. They are both very toxic entities despite making a lot of people a lot of money.

Deezer and Goh like this.
  17. Ramon Antonio

Ramon Antonio Black Belt

At best he's a poor man's Floyd. Doesn't have the athletic greatness or the wealth of Floyd.

18. Goh

Goh Purple Belt

<31> I'm not talking about them as fighters or even their competition. I'm talking about their effect on the SPORT.

19. The Best JG

The Best JG Platinum Nation!!

Mike perry is doing to mma what humanity did to planet earth

#takingover

#platinumgoat

#platinumbless

HHJ and Goh like this.
  20. Toad Frogan

Toad Frogan Purple Belt

Canner McFaggor?

tombombadil likes this.