Conor is a kept / protected fighter

Defeating #10 is just to stay busy. McGregor will be 5-0 in the UFC when he gets the title shot.

Mendes beat Rani Yahya to get a title shot, then beat a bunch of guys who were basically handpicked for him to look good against to get back to the title shot, no one cried about that did they?

Fair enough. I'm just pointing it out is all

Pointing out what? It's a silly criticism.

He's FUCKING 4-0 IN THE UFC! He's already beaten one of the top guys in the division. How many of these guys was he supposed to face in his first fucking four fights in the UFC?

And he's the most protected ever? GTFO.

Conor is the most protected fighter in the history of the sport. He's a good fighter, don't get me wrong, but he's been kept from fierce competetion and bad matchups in unprecedented fashion. He will be utterly thrashed by Jose Aldo. It's good business, but let's call it what it is.

Fan or not, does anyone actually disagree with this assessment?

2na5gcp.gif

I dont think a "wrestler" will matter much to McGregor. I bet he has epic TDD and dudes cant keep him down. He's very strong, big for the division and athletic. This wrestler claim will be squashed in time. Dude tore his ACL and won the fight on the ground. I would not underestimate his TDD and ground game. I bet his sprawl and athleticism will keep wrestlrs at bay to get clipped and finished.

I dont think a "wrestler" will matter much to McGregor. I bet he has epic TDD and dudes cant keep him down. He's very strong, big for the division and athletic. This wrestler claim will be squashed in time. Dude tore his ACL and won the fight on the ground. I would not underestimate his TDD and ground game. I bet his sprawl and athleticism will keep wrestlrs at bay to get clipped and finished.

If MMA has taught me 1 thing, it's that wrestlers are real tough until they get punched in the face real hard. Striking will always dominate.

Wouldn't say he's the most protected ever, but he is protected.

His best win is over Poirier, a guy that has never beaten an elite fighter in his life.

Cool story, TS.

Guess who's waiting to wreck him the moment he's either lost in his title bid or successfully beaten Aldo?

32_UFC118_Edgar.jpg

His best win is over Poirier, a guy that has never beaten an elite fighter in his life.

Same for Cub Swanson. You maybe could say the same about Lamas and Mendes but they both have an elite win over...Cub Swanson.

Who should he have fought during his short tenure in the UFC? Each of his fights, besides this one, have made complete sense from an availability and match-making perspective. Relatively speaking, he has encountered a dangerous group of fighters in a short period of time.

Same for Cub Swanson. You maybe could say the same about Lamas and Mendes but they both have an elite win over...Cub Swanson.

This is exactly correct. Way too many people complain about Conor without surveying the remainder of the "elite" in the division.

Just look at Mendes' recent streak that earned him a title shot; it is composed of incredibly weak competition and lesser fighters than those in Conor's streak.

Conor is the most protected fighter in the history of the sport. He's a good fighter, don't get me wrong, but he's been kept from fierce competetion and bad matchups in unprecedented fashion. He will be utterly thrashed by Jose Aldo. It's good business, but let's call it what it is.

Fan or not, does anyone actually disagree with this assessment?

I slightly disagree only because your statement implies assumption that Groundskeeper Willie was to defeat everyone he's fought in the UFC (4 fights total), i.e., a fighter can only seriously be deemed "protected" by the company once he's amassed numerous wins against a specific type of opponent.

If it makes you feel any better, Groundskeeper Willie's getting TKO'd tomorrow by Siver.

He is a little bit protected, a lot of challengers are. The problem is that Aldo has beat some of the guys they are protecting him from, and it's not good for anyone to make every challenger fight Edgar, we would never see Aldo fight anyone.

I slightly disagree only because your statement implies assumption that Groundskeeper Willie was to defeat everyone he's fought in the UFC (4 fights total), i.e., a fighter can only seriously be deemed "protected" by the company once he's amassed numerous wins against a specific type of opponent.

If it makes you feel any better, Groundskeeper Willie's getting TKO'd tomorrow by Siver.

Do you really think Siver has a (decent) chance tomorrow? If so, on what is that based?

Back