Conor is a kept / protected fighter

Brimage 3 fight win steak
Holloway kid looks good
Brandao-tuf winner that spawned serious talent and his only flaw was his cardio and connor finished him when he was fresh
Poirer top 5 guy

Basically he needs a number 2-3 guy but none were available at the time.It is what is it that being said him vs aldo could be an awesome standup war

Well he's fighting Aldo next if he wins this, so by rankings that is the best possible competition he can be facing.

I'm sure he'll get a wrestler the fight after that, whether he is holding the belt or not. *Unless they screw us over with another rematch.

Of course Aldo gets a rematch if he loses the belt,, he's been champ for what, 5 years?

Conor is the most protected fighter in the history of the sport. He's a good fighter, don't get me wrong, but he's been kept from fierce competetion and bad matchups in unprecedented fashion. He will be utterly thrashed by Jose Aldo. It's good business, but let's call it what it is.

Fan or not, does anyone actually disagree with this assessment?

When Conor knocks Aldo out cold you can shuffle back to your other account.

Protected? Absolutely.

An Aldo fight? I don't know. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but Conor is huge for featherweight. He's a terrified lightweight, but he still has reach, power, and great MMA boxing. Aldo was eating left hooks by Mendes, and Conor is great with his left. He doesn't have the wrestling to set it up, but still if he can land a hard punch in the early rounds even an iron chin like Aldo's could get cracked. If it makes it past the second, McGregor falls apart at the seams, IMO.

Based on hope?

Yes, TS, you are right. It's very obvious. Frankie said it himself when he said "I don't think they want Conor to fight me"

Implying i'm going to read something written by a guy who names himself magic swag...

Conor bless

He just made porier look not so tough, i believe he deserves a lil hespect. He might be the number one threat to aldo right now. If conor fights aldo we will see how mcgregor does against the champ, and if he is great or just another top 5 fw in the world thats not good when he looses.

Based on hope?

Lack of experience. Aldo has proven to have the heart and mental fortitude of a champion. If he gets knocked down, he gets back up and hits you harder. If you try to take him deep, he goes even deeper. We've never seen Conor in deep waters, we haven't seen how that confidence holds up after he drops a round, gets knocked down, gets taken down. He's young and new, maybe if he finds out he can't stop Aldo in a around he doesn't handle it well. The few losses he's had he got starched fast, and all his UFC fights have ended quickly, except for Holloway where he grinded out three rounds. This isn't a statement, it's a question and it's a fair one.

silly thread to make considering if he wins Sunday he faces the top dog.

I don't really think so. Not up until they matched him up with Siver and started talking about a title shot if he wins. That is just one fight.

Brimage is a solid debuting opponent. Holloway is a really good fighter. Brandao, originally scheduled Cole Miller, is still a legit fight. He was coming off an ACL injury layoff. Both guys were good submission fighters, which is what Conor's losses are from. I thought Brandao was an easier fight than Holloway but after the injury it was acceptable.

Porier was a favorable style matchup, but he was still a very legit guy who you could make a case for on paper. He's got a lot of top level experience, good conditioning, very good on the ground and subs.

Siver for a title shot? Yeah they are trying to give him a gimmie. They see the potential and that Conor is already looked at as a top guy for the most part. They don't want to risk the Aldo fight.

Like Nick Diaz in Strikeforce, he's definitely a protected fighter. But, again like Diaz, he'll fight anybody, and eventually will. It just is good business to give him favorable matchups so that there is a bigger payoff in a title shot etc. He'll get his chance against the top guys like Aldo, Edgar, Mendes, and Lamas, the first three who would assuredly handle him easy right now.

Like Nick Diaz in Strikeforce, he's definitely a protected fighter. But, again like Diaz, he'll fight anybody, and eventually will. It just is good business to give him favorable matchups so that there is a bigger payoff in a title shot etc. He'll get his chance against the top guys like Aldo, Edgar, Mendes, and Lamas, the first three who would assuredly handle him easy right now.

Proof? Evidence?

I don't really think so. Not up until they matched him up with Siver and started talking about a title shot if he wins. That is just one fight.

Brimage is a solid debuting opponent. Holloway is a really good fighter. Brandao, originally scheduled Cole Miller, is still a legit fight. He was coming off an ACL injury layoff. Both guys were good submission fighters, which is what Conor's losses are from. I thought Brandao was an easier fight than Holloway but after the injury it was acceptable.

Porier was a favorable style matchup, but he was still a very legit guy who you could make a case for on paper. He's got a lot of top level experience, good conditioning, very good on the ground and subs.

Siver for a title shot? Yeah they are trying to give him a gimmie. They see the potential and that Conor is already looked at as a top guy for the most part. They don't want to risk the Aldo fight.

Agree with that 100 percent.

He's Dana's boy:
dana-white-conor-mcgregor-picture.jpg

Agreed. Needs to stop ducking guys his own size instead of just fighting manlets

Wouldn't you guys prefer he was protected till the shot, to at least have a chance of shaking things up in the division? Aldo has beaten all the good wrestlers...

Back