Conor has fought crazy competition..

Right beating talented young fighters means nothing. Everyone's win loss record should be only the fights deemed in their prime by sherdog members. If said fighters prime is only one fight his record is only that fight.
Not really what he's saying I don't think.

It's more people using those names while acting like the fight took place against the fighter they became.

Right before Conor fought him Max got dominated by Dennis Bermudez but nobody even mentions that win when discussing Dennis because of context, he beat a 19 year old nobody at the time named Max Holloway, he didn't beat the Max Holloway of today.

Same goes for Dustin, he beat a 6th ranked Dustin who clearly had some talent but nobody was touting him as the next big thing at FW or really expecting him to get much further in the rankings than he already had. That's not the same guy who stopped putting himself through grueling weight cuts to find no life and prove himself elite at his more natural weight.

There is also things that make the Mendez and Diaz 1 fights look far less impressive when context is considered.

In the Mendez fight he was given a choice between Edgar who had been in camp training for just such an opportunity and Chad who had been out making a TV show, he picked Chad as we all know. The same situation occurred with Diaz, when offered multiple guys who had put in camps in case this happened (Cowboy and Pettis most notably) they decided to actually call a guy they knew was on vacation and hadn't even stepped up offering to fill in like the others.

Sure, it's cool he took the replacement fights but in reality he wanted those paydays and did his best to find the lowest risk opponent they could (although it almost backfired both times).

Everyone loves to use this as an example of how "bad ass" he is for taking the fights but really, how often does anyone with nothing to lose turn down a short notice replacement? Tony Ferguson is the only one I can think of of the top of my head.

I know you'll bring up Jon but Jon was a champion and had an undefeated legacy to consider, Conor had none of that and stood to earn millions of dollars, the situations are not comparable.

At the end of the day Conor will go down as a master of maximizing opportunities where he had everything to gain and nothing to lose and being gifted opportunities other fighters had to work so hard for.

-Gets his first FW title shot with 1 top 10 win.

-Beats Aldo in a JDS/ Cain fashion leaving so many questions left unanswered, leaves the division without a single defence, no rematch and 3 top 10 wins, is later stripped of the title.

-Gets LW title shot with his 0 defense's, an opportunity Aldo was denied as the most dominant champion in the divisions history.

-Ends up fighting Diaz at 170 (on his request). Loses but is immediately given the rematch he denied Aldo and squeaks out a win.

-Gets another TS at a division he has never fought in for the UFC and beats a man nobody considered the rightful champion to begin with when he got the shot with a 2-1 record with both wins being controversial decisions over guys like Tony and Khabib.

-Wins and again refuses to defend the title until he's eventually stripped of it too.

-Takes years off only to come back and be awarded with a second Title shot in a division he has a 1-0 record in. 2 LW fights in his UFC career and both where title shots.

It should come as no surprise why all this shit rubs people the wrong way simply because of the message it sends to up and coming fighters.

Holloway had 50% fewer fights than Conor when they met. When Conor was at the stage of his career Max was at, he was tapping to Albanian Uber drivers in the uk.

Not really what he's saying I don't think.

It's more people using those names while acting like the fight took place against the fighter they became.

Right before Conor fought him Max got dominated by Dennis Bermudez but nobody even mentions that win when discussing Dennis because of context, he beat a 19 year old nobody at the time named Max Holloway, he didn't beat the Max Holloway of today.

Same goes for Dustin, he beat a 6th ranked Dustin who clearly had some talent but nobody was touting him as the next big thing at FW or really expecting him to get much further in the rankings than he already had. That's not the same guy who stopped putting himself through grueling weight cuts to find no life and prove himself elite at his more natural weight.

There is also things that make the Mendez and Diaz 1 fights look far less impressive when context is considered.

In the Mendez fight he was given a choice between Edgar who had been in camp training for just such an opportunity and Chad who had been out making a TV show, he picked Chad as we all know. The same situation occurred with Diaz, when offered multiple guys who had put in camps in case this happened (Cowboy and Pettis most notably) they decided to actually call a guy they knew was on vacation and hadn't even stepped up offering to fill in like the others.

Sure, it's cool he took the replacement fights but in reality he wanted those paydays and did his best to find the lowest risk opponent they could (although it almost backfired both times).

Everyone loves to use this as an example of how "bad ass" he is for taking the fights but really, how often does anyone with nothing to lose turn down a short notice replacement? Tony Ferguson is the only one I can think of of the top of my head.

I know you'll bring up Jon but Jon was a champion and had an undefeated legacy to consider, Conor had none of that and stood to earn millions of dollars, the situations are not comparable.

At the end of the day Conor will go down as a master of maximizing opportunities where he had everything to gain and nothing to lose and being gifted opportunities other fighters had to work so hard for.

-Gets his first FW title shot with 1 top 10 win.

-Beats Aldo in a JDS/ Cain fashion leaving so many questions left unanswered, leaves the division without a single defence, no rematch and 3 top 10 wins, is later stripped of the title.

-Gets LW title shot with his 0 defense's, an opportunity Aldo was denied as the most dominant champion in the divisions history.

-Ends up fighting Diaz at 170 (on his request). Loses but is immediately given the rematch he denied Aldo and squeaks out a win.

-Gets another TS at a division he has never fought in for the UFC and beats a man nobody considered the rightful champion to begin with when he got the shot with a 2-1 record with both wins being controversial decisions over guys like Tony and Khabib.

-Wins and again refuses to defend the title until he's eventually stripped of it too.

-Takes years off only to come back and be awarded with a second Title shot in a division he has a 1-0 record in. 2 LW fights in his UFC career and both where title shots.

It should come as no surprise why all this shit rubs people the wrong way simply because of the message it sends to up and coming fighters.

Diaz was picked because he was the biggest name and had just called out Conor.

It's like you've took every fight and situation Conors been put in and picked the opinion that paints him in the most negative light. It would be one thing if these were facts but most of what you are saying are rumors that has been reported by no one. You've just taken it as fact because it reinforces your view of Mcgregor.

This is what haters do.

Holloway was new back then (145)
Mended fought on 2 weeks notice (145)
Alvarez got beat up in One FC
Diaz is a gatekeeper

beside Aldo and Khabib, Mccollin hasn’t fought top competition

Eddie went through wars with top ranked Poirier and Gaethje before going to One FC. Guess they are overrated too then?

I agree Diaz isn’t as good as people might believe. But he is nearly impossible to put away. Why does Masvidal get credit for that win?

Diaz was picked because he was the biggest name and had just called out Conor.

It's like you've took every fight and situation Conors been put in and picked the opinion that paints him in the most negative light. It would be one thing if these were facts but most of what you are saying are rumors that has been reported by no one. You've just taken it as fact because it reinforces your view of Mcgregor.

This is what haters do.
Yeah, except I did none of those things and everything I stated was indeed a fact.

Funny is you saying Nate was picked because he was the "biggest name" but for some reason I've been in countless arguments here with people claiming Nate ( despite the Diaz fights being PPV records prior to Khabib) wasn't a star.

Still, while I'm positive Nate is one of the biggest stars in the game (the Conor fights making him bigger than ever) I'm not so sure that at the time of the fight he was that much bigger than Cowboy and Pettis who where also well established mainstream stars, I am sure he was the least prepared to fight on 10 days notice and on paper the best match up for Conor though.

Right beating talented young fighters means nothing. Everyone's win loss record should be only the fights deemed in their prime by sherdog members. If said fighters prime is only one fight his record is only that fight.

So beating Big Rigg early in his career is the same as late in his career? I understand your point, but you have to qualify a win/loss to an extent as well

Back