Conor double standard

But Mendes said he was ready to go , he only said he was hunting after the fight . Frankie said he was ready to go, just like Mendes said he was ready to go . whichever fight Conor took , Frankie or Mendes were both going to say they were ready to fight so ?

If he beat Frankie , Frankie would have said it was short notice and Mendes would have said he said he was ready to go and Conor only fought Frankie because Frankie was chlling down jersey shore . You know what i'm saying ?

also judging by Frank's and Mendes previous few fights , Mendes was clearly the more dangerous fight as he was KOíng everyone stiff
Of course the fighters who are trying to salvage a PPV that had it's main event lose one of the fighters are going to say what they need to say to sell the fight. Nobody is going to say "I am getting 500k guaranteed win or lose so fuck it, I am going to stop hunting and drinking and come back and give it the ol' college try". Just like i am sure Conor downplayed his injury for the same reason.

But multiple sources in the MMA community (not just the related camps) confirmed Mendes was off boozing and hadn't been near the gym and Frankie was still training. Would the losing fighter spin it no matter who fought or lost? I am sure they would and for the same reasons fighters spun to sell the fight that happened. P.R. and reality often are not the same.

So you were a part of the Jones fanbase that day eh, still trying to cull the backlash LOL.
Huh? no i'm not, i just understand why he did it, which you probably never will, you don't seem that smart.

People always shit on Chael for talking alot, but that dude would fight ANYONE ANYTIME AND ANYWHERE. If more guys were like that the cards would be much better imo

Of course the fighters who are trying to salvage a PPV that had it's main event lose one of the fighters are going to say what they need to say to sell the fight. Nobody is going to say "save your money, cancel your flight and hotel reservations, I am getting 500k guaranteed win or lose so fuck it, I am going to stop hunting and drinking and come back and give it the ol' college try". Just like i am sure Conor downplayed his injury for the same reason.

But multiple sources have confirmed it was known among the MMA community that Mendes was off boozing and hadn't been near the gym and Frankie was still training. Would the losing fighter spin it no matter who fought or lost? I am sure they would and for the same reasons fighters spun to sell the fight that happened. P.R. and reality often are not the same. But the truth would have stayed the same, even if we might not have found it out had things gone a different way.
But no matter who Conor fought the other party would have said he was ducking

Would Mendes have said he wasn't ready to fight ?

Regardless of who he fought it still took balls and Conor was injured and not near 100%

Also now Conor is going to fight a monster next so nobody can say he is ducking anyone

RDA @ 155 is a far tougher fight than Frankie @ 145

People always shit on Chael for talking alot, but that dude would fight ANYONE ANYTIME AND ANYWHERE. If more guys were like that the cards would be much better imo
Come on, I liked Chael but Chael was willing to take a big payday for fights he didn't come close to deserving (other than the first Silva fight) any time and anywhere. And as soon as the fight didn't go to hisliking he curled up in a ball, waited for the ref, collected his enormous paycheck, and starting talking again the following morning. Let's not make a hero out of the guy for being willing to collect winning lottery tickets!

He has balls of steel no doubt. I don't hate on anyone for not accepting a fight on short notice, especially if the risk are bigger than the reward. But Conor took a huge risk and reaped a solid reward.

But no matter who Conor fought the other party would have said he was ducking

Would Mendes have said he wasn't ready to fight ?

Regardless of who he fought it still took balls and Conor was injured and not near 100%

Also now Conor is going to fight a monster next so nobody can say he is ducking anyone

RDA @ 155 is a far tougher fight than Frankie @ 145
Like I said, people are going to talk and spin their side to their advantage regardless of what the facts are.

And Conor is getting a free shot at 155 pound title, a division he had to put zero work in, and if he loses he still has his FW title and his popularity still probably doesn't take much of a hit. In Poker, what Conor is doing is called a 'free roll'. It means you can't really lose as the choices are you can win or lose nothing.

If he fought Frankie first and lost there is no free shot at the 155 belt. So he can fight RDA first, get paid a shitload of money and get a free shot at the belt and still have another huge money fight against Frankie as champ. And if he wins he gets to be champ and doesn't have to deal with 28 pound weight-cuts any more. Or again, can take the free-roll with one Frankie fight because he still would have his LW title to fall back on.

Let's not start pinning medals on Conor. He is simply making the smart play. And good for him for creating the situation for himself.

Like I said, people are going to talk and spin their side to their advantage regardless of what the facts are.

And Conor is getting a free shot at 155 pound title, a division he had to put zero work in, and if he loses he still has his FW title and his popularity still probably doesn't take much of a hit. In Poker, what Conor is doing is called a 'free roll'. It means you can't really lose as the choices are you can win or lose nothing.

If he fought Frankie first and lost there is no free shot at the 155 belt. So he can fight RDA first, get paid a shitload of money and get a free shot at the belt and still have another huge money fight against Frankie as champ. Let's not start pinning medals on Conor. He is simply making the smart play. And good for him for creating the situation for himself.

But if he really wanted a free roll would he not take a money fight against Cowboy or Nate first ?

The UFC could sell it as Conor earning his title shot like you say

Both would probably sell more PPv's than RDA and are both more winnable than RDA ?

Then the UFC would have at least 2 more fights that will sell over 1 million before Conor even gets a shot ?

Would that not make more sense if Conor was just looking for money ?

Huh? no i'm not, i just understand why he did it, which you probably never will, you don't seem that smart.

Yes you are buddy, don't backtrack on the words you posted.

But if he really wanted a free roll would he not take a money fight against Cowboy or Nate first ?

The UFC could sell it as Conor earning his title shot like you say

Both would probably sell more PPv's than RDA and are both more winnable than RDA ?

Then the UFC would have at least 2 more fights that will sell over 1 million before Conor even gets a shot ?

Would that not make more sense if Conor was just looking for money ?
That would be the worst mistake Conor could make (if the UFC could even get away with it).

What if he were to lose to Cowboy or Nate? Then that means he can't even beat a 155 pound gatekeeper so suddenly his hopes of being done cutting 28 pounds and leaving 145 might just be over. He'd be better off staying at FW then. And he could still lose to Frankie. Then he'd really be fucked. And losing to RDA is one thing, losing to a 155 gatekeeper would hurt his drawing power as it would feel like he is pretty much at his ceiling.

And if he wins against Cowboy or Nate, unless he just destroys them, he will have to work his way through monsters to get to the 155 title shot instead of getting a free shot now. Or even say the UFC says we will still skip you to the front of the line, he already has that now in a way better situation. But the downside if he loses to Nate or Cowboy could wreck his plans. One payday isn't worth that risk.

The way he is doing it now he ends the night with one or two titles. That's the worst he can do. And even if he lost to RDA, so has everyone else, that wouldn't stop Conor from coming to 155 as a contender.

Come on, I liked Chael but Chael was willing to take a big payday for fights he didn't come close to deserving (other than the first Silva fight) any time and anywhere. And as soon as the fight didn't go to hisliking he curled up in a ball, waited for the ref, collected his enormous paycheck, and starting talking again the following morning. Let's not make a hero out of the guy for being willing to collect winning lottery tickets!
He took fights that everybody else said no to. Yeah he lost, who cares? At least he had the balls to step up to the plate. MMA fighters acting too scared to accept a fight? Thats why he got those fights he "didn't deserve". If you step up and fight on short notice, even if you lose, you gain credibility with fans and the brass. Conor will fight anyone, thats why hes given any fight he wants.

He took fights that everybody else said no to. Yeah he lost, who cares? At least he had the balls to step up to the plate. MMA fighters acting too scared to accept a fight? Thats why he got those fights he "didn't deserve". If you step up and fight on short notice, even if you lose, you gain credibility with fans and the brass. Conor will fight anyone, thats why hes given any fight he wants.
The reason why other fighters turned down the fights is that they were legit contenders looking to fight at their absolute best because they wanted to be champ and stay champ.

If you believe Chael of all people wasn't motivated by what the smartest financial move was and buy into the hype then that is exactly why Chael got paid as much as he did. So Kudos to him I guess. But not one of these fighters is taking a fight that the overall risk/reward isn't in their favor.

This isn't a movie. This is how these guys make a living and hopefully make enough to retire after. They don'tcare about being admired on Sherdog or any other fanbase over money. Some simply have found the best way to create the illusion while still making the smart play. But to each their own if you believe different.

must admit that was pretty cool of conor and he fought injured.

It's not a double standard, it's a different kind of credit.

Conor should absolutely be respected and admired for taking a fight on 2 weeks notice when he really had no obligation to. That being said, he should not only not get full marks for beating Mendes, his flaws shown in the fight shouldn't be ignored. He was in the advantageous position, not Mendes, McGregor fans should understand that. McGregor had been through an entire camp knowing that was his fight date, Mendes spent an entire camp cutting weight. McGregor deserves praise for taking the fight, but he can absolutely still be criticized for the goings on in the fight.

must admit that was pretty cool of conor and he fought injured.

Even if you believe McGregor's camp, which I don't, I think that they lied through their teeth about how injured conor was, he wasn't injured by the time the fight came, he was injured beforehand.

The reason why other fighters turned down the fights is that they were legit contenders looking to fight at their absolute best because they wanted to be champ and stay champ.

If you believe Chael of all people wasn't motivated by what the smartest financial move was and buy into the hype then that is exactly why Chael got paid as much as he did. So Kudos to him I guess. But not one of these fighters is taking a fight that the overall risk/reward isn't in their favor.

This isn't a movie. This is how these guys make a living and hopefully make enough to retire after. They don'tcare about being admired on Sherdog or any other fanbase over money. Some simply have found the best way to create the illusion while still making the smart play. But to each their own if you believe different.
Yeah, im not arguing, but one question then.
How'd turning the jones fight down end up for Machida? Dana told him fuck you and he never got another LHW title shot that he deserved. Guys who show up get the big fights.

Yeah, im not arguing, but one question then.
How'd turning the jones fight down end up for Machida? Dana told him fuck you and he never got another LHW title shot that he deserved. Guys who show up get the big fights.
I agree that it can be a very difficult tightrope walk trying to leverage the best career move by normal standards and then weighing it against common UFC retaliation. Even guys like Benson Henderson and Max Holloway said that when the UFC asks you to fight you fight or be prepared to sit on the bench a long time.

I guess I will just say the fighter's motivation first and foremost should (and imo will) always be to do what is the smartest move for his career and his finances, even if by nature he truly has the fighter mentality of anywhere, anytime. You simply don't have the luxury in this business to make decisions out of pride or balls or whatever someone wants to call it.

But sometimes it may not be black and white and they might gamble wrong. But yeah, I agree that a lot of fighters may have to take fights they don't want to due to the leverage the UFC holds. In fact, I am sure many do. And I am sure there are fighters who regret they didn't after the UFC benched them or gave them bad match-ups as punishment

Jones ducks Chael Sonnen as a late replacement with the excuse is hes to dangerous.

Werdum ducks Miocic as a late replacement, with the excuse he would still fight Cain but not short notice Stipe.

Tito fought Rashad with a week notice and never got a free pass, well Rashad was given a TS.

TJ fought soto on like 24 hours notice in his first UFC fight and only was able to finish it in the 5th.

Yet Conor accepts a fight against the #2 ranked FW, a 180 style change in 2 weeks of the fight, and only gets shit on because he didnt perform better in finishing him inside 2.
you answered your own question, if you duck someone you got shitstorm coming your way; if you don't duck it's considered "normal" and they can still shit on your performance, it's all about entertaining the crowd

Conor Sat at the press conference and destroyed RDA , told him he was a bum and that all he had was the belt to give .RDA didn't even answer him back . Conor told him he was going to bully him in his own division , toy with him . RDA didn't say anything . Honestly how can anyone be confident in RDA when he doesn't even have confidence in himself .

Back