Conor’s head kick landed with his toes..

Cro Cop used to land exclusively with his foot...

CQdwDV8xyakGm797Pd7hmJjsWf9NsMXfnDpdz1ArTeefPftVCMetaKLB8vcWos3

ezgif-3-34c37f5e148d.gif

xzLF1to.gif

8Pbxa3P.gif

ezgif-3-9507a6a1fb5d.gif

tumblr_otjr1fPYKZ1qd4esao1_400.gifv

tumblr_mz0fjgWuk41ry1rm7o1_400.gifv

...to the point where he literally left toeprints on Wanderlei:

6lu8z3jxo0u01.jpg

It may not be ideal for the health/safety of the kicker, but it's still effective :cool:
Most of those kicks were instep FYI. Foot curls around to touch after impact.

It looks more like he was trying to parry that left hand feint.

From the other angle it's a lot more clear. He moves his right arm down to cover the body and completely leaves his head open. Was an awesome kick actually.

Didn’t even land a proper headkick and the nuthuggers act like he’s Cro Cop esque.

Didn’t land proper, confirmed dive.
You seem butthurt and gotten to, where did Conor touch you?
south-park-s10e01c03-molestation-demonstration-16x9.jpg

I don't think Conor was tall enough to catch Cowboy with his shin.

Well done anyway.

I do not like Conrad. At all. But last night's fight clearly invalidates a ridiculous kicking folklore that seems to always pop up on Sherdog (is this Bas Rutten's fault?). The belief is that a roundhouse kicker must connect with his shin or at least between the instep and shin. Of course this type of roundhouse is legitimate, and natural in the context of close-range fighting. In distance fighting connecting with the instep (landing on the chin) is more effective and very dangerous -- as clearly demonstrated by Conrad last night.

Karate style kicks land more with the foot/instep. I think it's got to do with Conor's karate influence, or maybe he just wasn't at range to land the shin
Really? I was taught heel for front kick, shin for almost everything else in karate.

I do not like Conrad. At all. But last night's fight clearly invalidates a ridiculous kicking folklore that seems to always pop up on Sherdog (is this Bas Rutten's fault?). The belief is that a roundhouse kicker must connect with his shin or at least between the instep and shin. Of course this type of roundhouse is legitimate, and natural in the context of close-range fighting. In distance fighting connecting with the instep (landing on the chin) is more effective and very dangerous -- as clearly demonstrated by Conrad last night.
The shin is ideal. Much more power, less chance of injury. The foot is much easier to break than a shin. It's also much easier to hyperextend something (big toe being hyperextended is a huge problem).

The shin is ideal. Much more power, less chance of injury. The foot is much easier to break than a shin. It's also much easier to hyperextend something (big toe being hyperextended is a huge problem).
You are a great example of somebody parroting the folklore. I was on the Canadian National TKD team and, despite seeing about 1 trillion roundhouse kicks to the face, never witnessed somebody "hyperextending a big toe"
{<huh}

Most of those kicks were instep FYI. Foot curls around to touch after impact.

This seems like needless quibbling, as the instep is part of the foot, so, in the foot-versus-shin debate, it's on the foot side. But, to grant you this distinction, when you say that "most" of those kicks didn't land with the non-instep part of the foot, which ones are you looking at? Because I would say that other than against Hunt he was either landing with the top of his foot/toes or his heel. Against Amada, he got him with the inner arch/heel; against Nagata, he got him with his toes; against Dos Caras, he got him with his heel; against Aleks, he got him with the top of his foot; and against Wand, he got him with the top of his foot.

You are a great example of somebody parroting the folklore. I was on the Canadian National TKD team and, despite seeing about 1 trillion roundhouse kicks to the face, never witnessed somebody "hyperextending a big toe"
{<huh}

The big toe theory notwithstanding, the logic is sound. For instance, in that fight with Amada from which I took that first gif, Cro Cop seriously injured his right foot low kicking Amada for three rounds (to his credit, he still came out for the finals against Mike Bernardo, but one low kick from Bernardo put Cro Cop down in a painful heap). He also had a busted left ankle going into that PRIDE fight with Hunt (hence the shoes) and which he fought the whole OWGP with (hence him throwing no LHKs against Minowa and only one against Yoshida). And then Peter Aerts blew up his foot when he caught it on Francisco Filho's elbow.

Of course, this isn't to say that nothing bad can happen if you land with the shin - again, poor Aerts split his shin open something nasty (and, again, courtesy of Filho, who clearly had some kind of voodoo curse on Aerts :confused::eek:) - just that it seems less likely that something bad will happen.

It looks more like the whole foot landed. Not great, but not bad either. The foot flexes back, the shin hits like a 2x4. Anyhow, it worked cause Cerrone was pretty much diving right into the kick.

The big toe theory notwithstanding, the logic is sound. For instance, in that fight with Amada from which I took that first gif, Cro Cop seriously injured his right foot low kicking Amada for three rounds (to his credit, he still came out for the finals against Mike Bernardo, but one low kick from Bernardo put Cro Cop down in a painful heap). He also had a busted left ankle going into that PRIDE fight with Hunt (hence the shoes) and which he fought the whole OWGP with (hence him throwing no LHKs against Minowa and only one against Yoshida). And then Peter Aerts blew up his foot when he caught it on Francisco Filho's elbow.

Of course, this isn't to say that nothing bad can happen if you land with the shin - again, poor Aerts split his shin open something nasty (and, again, courtesy of Filho, who clearly had some kind of voodoo curse on Aerts :confused::eek:) - just that it seems less likely that something bad will happen.
Instep injuries in my experience come from hitting an elbow, shin or knee, not from an opponent's head. In other words, it's something that occurs when the kick is blocked or missed. So it can and will happen no matter what you had intended to do.

Didn’t even land a proper headkick and the nuthuggers act like he’s Cro Cop esque.

Didn’t land proper, confirmed dive.
Someone just pointed out in the thread that Cro Cop landed a lot with his foot, not the shin.

So landing with the foot can clearly KO people.

The majority of the time headkicks are landed with foot and toes.... to all you chubby wubbies who's never sparred or had a hard day in your life.

even a lot of leg kicks are landed with the foot and ankle.

Do you folks not watch Saenchai, glory, or k1??????????

Someone just pointed out in the thread that Cro Cop landed a lot with his foot, not the shin.

So landing with the foot can clearly KO people.
My only KO loss came from headkick where the impact was from my opponent's instep and toes, not his shin. I needed stitches and a tetanus booster.

Back