Connor's Road to the Title is Legit

McGregor gets title shot after beating a fighter ranked in at number 11? Porier was only bumped to number 5 after he was announced he was fighting McGregor so he could have a top 5 win.

Not hating, just calling how I see it. The hype is unreal and I appreciate what he's doing but Aldo is going to knock him off of his high horse and make bank while doing so.

Let's not forget the road Frankie took to get to Aldo:

Benson Henderson (L)
Benson Henderson (L)

Drop weight classes, defeat no one. Fight for the title.

he beat penn and beat maynard. beat bendo. he did not lose that 2nd fight.

so go cry in the corner. not sure who you are a fan of.

I bumped into an interesting fact earlier today. Looking at the Top 15 UFC featherweight rankings and comparing Jose Aldo's past challengers; the result was that none of them competed with top 3 ranked contenders in the division. For example, Chad Mendes, Aldo's most recent challenger only fought three top 15 ranked in the UFC. Nik Lentz (8), Clay Guida (12), and Darren Elkins (14). Furthermore, if we look at Ricardo Lamas' path to the title, the only Top 15 ranked fighter he fought was Cub Swanson (4).

Now if we look at Connor's path to the title, he's fought two in the top 10 and one in the top 15. Beating UFC ranked Max Halloway (13), Dustin Poirier (6), and Dennis Siver (10). The UFC in no way gifted Connor a path to the title in these opponents.

Some might argue that Connor was gifted opponents catering to his style, but if you look at every one in the top 15 aside from Frankie Edgar (2) and Chad Mendes (1), Connor would have probably beaten them. Also, the last two challengers to Aldo did not have to face anyone in the Top 3. So, Connor's road to the title is as legit as his trash talk.

Check out the rankings here: http://m.ufc.ca/rankings

You should look at the rankings at the time that those guys fought em

Watching Edgar sitting there biting his tongue in the booth, my only thought was that Conor was getting a gift and Edgar was getting fucked.

Edgar was gifted a title shot for his first fight in the division.

I want the fight to happen. I want to see Mcgregor laid out cold. lol. His "title run" isn't why I posted that. I wasn't trying to change that. I just got tired of people saying he was ranked 11. Turns out he was and then after the fight was announced he was bumped up 3 spots to #8. I'm just posting facts for people to see.

He wasn't bumped up three spots at once. The rankings change after every event as the media members are polled. He went from 11 to 10 to 9 to 8, then back to 9 and then back to 10 again, all before this event happened.

Frankie didn't have to rest on his laurels to get a shot against Aldo. Losing a couple of close title fights to Benson Henderson doesn't make you a washed-up fighter. Most people recognized that Frankie was a superb fighter with a great resume and that all of his losses were closely contested. He was a worthy opponent for Aldo, not some fighter resting on his laurels.

That's great and all, I didn't try to attack his character or achievements, I was just stating the facts: before Frankie Edgar fought Jose Aldo at ufc 156 he had one "official" win in the two years previous.

I'm not saying I cared that he ended up fighting Jose, I am just saying that people act like everyone but Conor has had some crazy road to the title. In 2013 four people challenged for a title coming off a loss. People don't like Conor so they want to hold him to some more stringent standards than other people within the organization. I think it's silly.

Frankie deserves a second crack at Jose too, but to pretend that he isn't familiar with getting a leg up at a FW title shot is revisionist history.

he beat penn and beat maynard. beat bendo. he did not lose that 2nd fight.

so go cry in the corner. not sure who you are a fan of.

Read my post above.

I'm a fan of the division, I think FW is really exciting. Don't care who the champ is at this time next year.

Just stating facts, child.

He wasn't bumped up three spots at once. The rankings change after every event as the media members are polled. He went from 11 to 10 to 9 to 8, then back to 9 and then back to 10 again, all before this event happened.

and one of the spots was kz, who dropped out, and one is stephens who had just lost.

See no reason why Edgar should not win one more

McGregor gets title shot after beating a fighter ranked in at number 11? Porier was only bumped to number 5 after he was announced he was fighting McGregor so he could have a top 5 win.

Not hating, just calling how I see it. The hype is unreal and I appreciate what he's doing but Aldo is going to knock him off of his high horse and make bank while doing so.

who did porier jump? do you know?

Uhhhh, you did notice I posted the rankings from the UFC website from March 2014 until November right? Prove what you say and I'll admit I didn't do it right. Until then. I posted every month.

P.S. in December he was still #10 and at the beginning of January he was still #10.

Siver is a journeymen..at best. UFC has protected him

Uhhhh, you did notice I posted the rankings from the UFC website from March 2014 until November right? Prove what you say and I'll admit I didn't do it right. Until then. I posted every month.

The rankings changed several times within those months. Go back to the way back machine and check for yourself.

Benson Henderson (L)
Benson Henderson (L)

When you are a former champion, I do believe you get the benefit of a doubt.

I mean, look at Faber.

Benson Henderson (L)
Benson Henderson (L)

Both of those fights could have been judged either way though, and it isn't like you need to hit the reset button on your memory when a guy drops weight classes.

Hioki and Koch were both top 15 when Ricardo beat them.... Why do people forget history.

Back