Connor Mcgregor has been a brown belt bjj for 6 years.

He hasnt been doing bjj long enough to be anywhere near a black belt.

He got sped through the process.
He’s brown not black. Been grappling well over a decade, it makes sense 4 him to be where he is.

and jones is still technically a.. what was it like white or blue or some shit? plus theres plenty of " black belts " who aren't shit on the ground.

conor did better than poirier on the ground (outside of one guillotine attempt), better than a bunch of people khabib has faced and did 40 x better than gaethje.

yeah conor doesn't have the best BJJ, but it's not terrible it's just a little above average or just average for a pure striker.
It's well above average for a striker

Dude swept Diaz with ease in their first fight when fresh

With Conor's name and money he could easily find a reputable coach to give him a black belt if he really cared about the clout. Not every black belt is created equal.
I wonder what he was doing in the last 6 years? Preparing for and boxing Floyd and getting that payday.
Well, He has managed to make a few hundred million dollars. Not all is lost.
And then he had to spend it.

The scenario you named is the exception not the rule. It doesn't just to apply Conor either, there are prodigy purples that can tap higher belt levels.

But pro fighters have way better systematic training on a daily basis compared to most hobbyist. It's their job to put in a shit ton of mat time on a daily basis.

True, but even super high level old schoolers have said that new instructors are literally handing out black belts like candy on Halloween whereas back in the day it was damn near torture to jump belts.

When did Poirier do anywhere near as good defensively on the ground as Conor did?
when he refused to cheat once, you remember that ?

also when a neck cranked wasn't enough to make him tap

18199820-0-image-a-81_1567889893386.jpg

Conor McGregor>>>Khabib on the mat CONFIRMED.
44866127_287659681956803_5272194268486696960_n.jpg

I don't really train in a Gi anymore (well I haven't trained in 10 months) but when it comes to brown vs black it's more of a time in sort of thing.

when he refused to cheat once, you remember that ?

also when a neck cranked wasn't enough to make him tap

18199820-0-image-a-81_1567889893386.jpg

He was in these positions because he couldn't keep Khabib from advancing.

Urijah Fabrer has been brown longer than that and he has 17 career submissions all by choke , he black belt level for sure but his professor won’t give him black because he doesn’t train enough in a gi
It’s supposed to be hard but other than that the criteria can be subjective

John kavanagh is actually a decent bjj coach
Shit mma coach tho and seems like a shit person
Got his of matt thornton

Don’t forget Vitor!

First sub attempt I remember clearly was his crack at Jones.

He had to dust that black belt off for that one.
Vitor's black belt is definitely legitimate and he came in third at ADCC
Yeah..
You dont have to spend time in the GI to become a black belt.
How much time do you think Rashad Evans, Woodley spent in a gi?
Barnett is a black belt and never trained in the gi.

My former head coach did not train in the GI for 10 years got his black belt after a single session with the main trainer and went on to get silver at Mundial sr division.
Also I am pretty sure the top grapplers like Ryan Gordon and the like does not spent that much time in the GI and still are black belts.

So time in the gi does not really always apply.
I remember reading that the first time Barnett ever wore a gi was at a competition. There was suppose to be a no-gi division but when he got there they said that was a mistake. Someone there gave him an honorary black belt just for that day so he could compete and he came in second in a controversial match many thought he won.

Irish brown belt. As in Coach Kav's grassroots grappling. I respect the guy for helping grow MMA in Ireland and subsequently rest of Europe, but it's a faaar cry from a Gurgel belt.

Some people just hate others success ....It’s weak and Pathetic.....Besides drunk Hateful Conor in the Khabib buildup ...Conor has been gold on the Mic and his fighting style is usually great .....haters haters haters ......I don’t Like GSP style etc ....I still admit he’s great ....Conor’s record speaks for itself ....he’s earned every opportunity he’s received by building himself into one of the biggest stars in combat sports history ....If you don’t think that comes with some privilege you’re out of your mind ......Conor haters need to be better / end rant

What’s the source on this?

If he is then good for Conor.

Belts are given out like candy these days, I know Kavanaugh isn’t really a reputable name but hopefully he’s at least worth his weight in coaching BJJ.

To answer your question, from Brown to Black can easily take half a decade. It’s the hardest leap imo. Most Black Belts earned under 10 years are trash. Very few exceptions.

who are you friend? your so damn knowledgeable about so much shit.... and its accurate information. I always enjoy dealing with you. And you keep it real all the time. My type of poster

Back