1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Connor - Khabib vs Rousey -Holm

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Rikishii, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

I can't help but think about rousey vs holm lately with all this Connor vs Khabib talk. I've been drawing a lot of comparisons to Ronda vs Holly and I'm beginning to favor Connor more and more. It was the last high profile grappler vs striker match I can think of right now.

We have seen with ronda that world class grappling gets you nowhere without strong takedowns against strikers with good TDD. Holly was able to outclass her so badly on the feet and using distance control that ronda looked like a complete amateur despite dominating so many opponents in the past. I see Khabib being similar to ronda in this regard. He is second to none on the ground, but had to rely on using the cage to drag his opponents down for the most part. I think it's fair to say that khabib has better hands than ronda, but that's not saying much. However I believe ronda is the better finisher. Khabib mostly grinds out his opponents.

Looking at Connor and Holly, I think Connor is actually better on the feet. His distance control is excellent and one of the best things he does. When it comes to the ground game Connor has a better chance of survival against khabib (getting back up/finishing the round) than holly did against ronda. I see him being able to play matador with khabib and probably ripping into his head early on with hard fast punches just like holly did to ronda. His striking is so vastly superior to khabib I think it's going to be overwhelming. Whereas I don't think khabib will be quite as dangerous on the ground.

What do you guys think? Is it a bad comparision? Is khabib better at getting his opponents down in the open that I'm giving him credit for? Let's hear it.

PROlogic, MPD-Psycho, cmw43 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jordan3399

Jordan3399 Green Belt

Its a rough comparison to say the least.
    Khabib is a far better and more diverse grappler compared to Ronda. Plus Holm is known to have very good TDD especially from the clinch which is where Ronda gets her throws.
    Conor on the other hand has pretty weak TDD is facing a better grappler or at least much more diverse grappler than Ronda by far.
    Not to mention stuff like Holm having a cardio advantage over Ronda whereas that easily goes to Khabib by a lot.

Conor is definitely better on the feet than Holly but I don't think he has the evasive footwork needed to play matador and I think you are underestimating Khabibs takedown offence certainly. If Nate Diaz can single leg Conor Khabib easily can.

3. Bend NvR Break

Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

Khabib via KO

BigE562 likes this.
  4. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

I wouldn't say he has weak TDD he was able to stuff several Mendes takedowns and get back to his feet. And personally I just have to disagree about his evasive footwork. But I do agree with you about the cardio advantage that's a good point

5. LilChuckLil

LilChuckLil Funkmaster Flex

Khabib will maul him, but Conor will put his hands on him. Depends how well Khabib will react. GOIN TO BE WARR THO

6. GreatWhiteBuffalo

GreatWhiteBuffalo Banned Banned

Lol! Dude posts but doesn’t even watch fights. Bad tdd defense? Even hobbled against Mendes he still stuffed a few, and Mendes Has the most prolific shot in the ufc. Against the cage he has stuffed almost everything, and easily, barring that 5th round takedown against Diaz. Pretending he has bad tdd is an insult to yourself.

PROlogic, markg171 and cmw43 like this.
  7. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

Let's not forget alvarez was also a diverse grappler and we all saw how that worked out. And alvarez is certainly better on the feet than khabib.

PROlogic likes this.
  8. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Khabib has never once thought that he is a good striker and tried to knock people out standing, without going for any takedown - he stays to his strengths. Khabib should beat McGregor though, Conor* (btw, not Connor) is fun to watch, but I really don't see him getting up from Khabib's top game.

9. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Is he really though? Ask yourself this and take time to think... Alvarez is not a good wrestler. He struggled to out-wrestle Pettis...

Jordan3399 and Mammothman like this.
  10. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

Pettis has never been an easy guy to take down and has an excellent ground game. RDA was only able to take down after petti's already had a broken eye socket. I think you are not giving pettis enough credit.

PROlogic likes this.
  11. Snake Fist

Snake Fist Orange Belt

Ronda thought she was gonna walk through Holly, Holly's previous UFC fights didn't really show Holly to be all that much, plus I don't think Ronda prepared right leading up to the fight.

That said Khabib and Ronda have very little similarities in the way they fight.

12. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

Lol I just don't see khabib getting him down. I see another ronda vs holly or even another Conor vs alvarez.

13. TheLastEmperorReurns

TheLastEmperorReurns Brown Belt

Didn't Holly have good TDD compared to previous Ronda opponents?

Conor's not in the top level of defensive wrestling @ LW or FW.

14. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

Not really she had decent TDD let's not forget she was a pure kickboxer to begin with, but she never really even had to use it with ronda

PROlogic likes this.
  15. Jordan3399

Jordan3399 Green Belt

Mendes looked terrible in that fight and still got him down on 4 of 7 attempts and wasn't even trying to hold him down for most of the first. He got easily single legged by Diaz who is a terrible wrestler too. Now educate yourself and go and see what Aldo did to Mendes. Thats good TDD and the kind you need to stop Khabib.

Also before you go on about the Eddie fight go and actually consider how good at wrestling Eddie is. He is a great defensive wrestler but his offence sucks the best he can do is, as in the Conor fight, just drive you into the fence and try and grind out a takedown. Might of worked vs past it Pettis but if the best you can do is say Conor has better TDD than Pettis then you should just stop there as thats laughable.

16. flowoftruth

flowoftruth Purple Belt

are you trying to compare wmma to real mma ... Why..wow

SouthSide971 likes this.
  17. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

You mean grabbing the cage? Please man.

PROlogic likes this.
  18. Jordan3399

Jordan3399 Green Belt

Calling Eddie Alvarez a diverse grappler is one the greatest MMA jokes I have ever heard. Let alone Eddie when he's already concussed to shit. All he does is shoot shitty double legs from way out that always fail then end up awkwardly trying to grind out a takedown against the fence which even then he's bad at.

19. rurouni

rurouni Black Belt

Khabib is a way better grappler than alvarez . That said I get your point, I thought eddie would be able to take conor dn

20. Rikishii

Rikishii Green Belt

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying khabib won't be able to drive Conor to the fence and he will eat big shots trying. Leading to his demise.

PROlogic likes this.