Conner vs Aldo our Hamed vs Barrera

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score
When I first saw Conner I used to think he was similar to ****ey.
But the match up seems more like
Nazzem Hamed vs Marco A Barrera

Hamed brash, entertaining , heavy handed fan favorite

Marco A Barrera methodical, only popular with his countymen, but very talented.

pretty good analogy but Hamed had very poor technique. Conor has pretty solid technique but still good comparision.

pretty good analogy but Hamed had very poor technique. Conor has pretty solid technique but still good comparision.

Prince Naseem had very good technique, but his flash and ego always took over common sense in order to prove how quick and effective he was. He was a showman first, boxer second. Still, on of the most entertaining boxer of the last generation that revived the entire division. The man doesn't get enough love for his accomplishments and skills.

Barrera wasn't only popular with his countrymen. Barrera was an asshole, as well. Very good fighter, but I never cared for him. It's a better comparison than Ali/Foreman to Jones/Cormier, though.

The flash leaves you vulnerable but Connor is fundamentally competent and you can get away with more in mma than you can in boxing, imo. Barrera stayed on him and had Hamed flying around the ring because he was so off balance so often.

I'll post this just because

nasem-hamed-o.gif

That's a good comparison. McGoat leaves his head open similar to Hamed, but does so with more composure and therefore less risk of being caught.

Lol at people criticizing the Prince's technique. Dude toyed with and KOd 90% of his opponents. Only lost once.

Sure he got found out by Barrera, but Barrera was much bigger and an awesome boxer.

People get beat. Aldo will likely beat Connor too. Doesn't mean Connor sucks suddenly.

Conor as Hamed works for me but Aldo and Barrera are too distant for too many reasons. If Conor were to lose to someone like Mendes, Edgar or Lamas I'd accept the analogy.

The flash leaves you vulnerable but Connor is fundamentally competent and you can get away with more in mma than you can in boxing, imo. Barrera stayed on him and had Hamed flying around the ring because he was so off balance so often.

Well I'd agree to an extent. Conor ate a couple shots each from Brimage, Poirier, and Brando. Hard ones, too...but he pulled it off. Against Mendes, Edgar, Aldo, etc. I don't know that it'd work out for him.

I actually kinda like this comparison in a way. But I don't think Conor has lost his drive and focus like Naseem had by the time he faced Barrera...but who knows really

When I first saw Conner I used to think he was similar to ****ey.
But the match up seems more like
Nazzem Hamed vs Marco A Barrera

Hamed brash, entertaining , heavy handed fan favorite

Marco A Barrera methodical, only popular with his countymen, but very talented.

Pretty sure Barrera was popular with everyone after his 1st war with Morales... And nobody thought he was even close to methodical until after the Hamed fight (everyone thought Barrera was going to slug like he always did and get caught with a counter by the prince).

Also I'm pretty sure Prince was the person only loved by his countrymen. Outside of the UK Hamed was pretty hated.

If I would compare it to Ali/Liston 1. Ali talking all this trash about his opponents and Liston... And Liston looking like a monster and considered the HEAVY favorite.

In before jay Electra. Just kidding

Not a bad comparison. Not prefect, but closer than 90% of the comparisons wet get in the heavies.

Well I'd agree to an extent. Conor ate a couple shots each from Brimage, Poirier, and Brando. Hard ones, too...but he pulled it off. Against Mendes, Edgar, Aldo, etc. I don't know that it'd work out for him.

Yeah, when he fights one the elite (which will probably be Jose first since he's getting a title shot after beating Siver) his "bag of goodies" will probably need to take the backseat and he'll need to rely on his fundamentals, which isn't a bad thing.

I actually kinda like this comparison in a way. But I don't think Conor has lost his drive and focus like Naseem had by the time he faced Barrera...but who knows really

^This. Naseem had to lose like 30 or 40 pounds of weight in an extremely short period of time. There was alot that was happening behind the scenes for Naseem before that fight that most people don't know about.

Back