Connective Tissue?

Monger

Chronically Injured
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read several times on this board and other various spots that high rep training strengthens connective tissue.

I'm the kind of guy that always has to know the scientific reasons for things. I've spent a lot of time searching on the net to find the exact reasons why this is the case but I've had no luck. Can someone please explain to me why high reps would strengthen connective tissue any more than low reps? Thanks!

Monger said:
Hi,

I've read several times on this board and other various spots that high rep training strengthens connective tissue.

I'm the kind of guy that always has to know the scientific reasons for things. I've spent a lot of time searching on the net to find the exact reasons why this is the case but I've had no luck. Can someone please explain to me why high reps would strengthen connective tissue any more than low reps? Thanks!

Well, the general concensus is that super heavy weight will damage your ligaments and tendons. I can't see that the rep range would change all that much.

It's a good question. I don't know.

I believe it is because people concentrate on their connective tissue in the case of injury or when the connective tissue is lagging behind. In these cases it's bad to go with near-maximal weights, and it makes sense to use lower weight for more reps to make the connective tissue catch up safely.

I know that high reps helped my hips a lot.

im one the ones that said this, and i think it has to do with volume. generally muscles can handle a lot less strain then tendons and ligaments, so it makes sense that more volume helps strengthen them. also it should be noted that connective tissues are strengthened through high intensity work too, just not quite as optimally. for training purposes, it isnt something to worry about, as it will generally take care of itself (in a proper program).

Back