Congress Targets Russia

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Earlier this month, the Russians announced they would discontinue the sale of rocket engines to the United States if those engines could be used for military purposes.

At least some members of Congress are looking to retaliate in kind. An amendment to the annual Pentagon budget bill, expected to pass this week, instructs President Obama to begin talks with the Ukrainian government aimed at ending long-standing cooperation between Kiev and Moscow on the maintenance of their Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, or ICBMs. The long-range missiles are known in Russia as the RS-20s and dubbed by NATO as the SATANs.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/19/congress-targets-russia-s-satan-missile.html

Time to ask the Ukraine to give us some of those documents :wink:

I Wonder how powerful the Satan missiles are?

Why couldn't Russia just maintain it themselves. Russians aren't technologically infeiror to Ukraine so I am a bit mystified why this is being thought of as an issue.

Why couldn't Russia just maintain it themselves. Russians aren't technologically infeiror to Ukraine so I am a bit mystified why this is being thought of as an issue.
Soviet Union, in an attempt to avoid concentrating too many of its military research/manufacturing sites at one region, spread these institutions all over the former USSR republics. Germans almost crippled them when it hit Stalingrad during WWII, so they didn't want a repeat. The arrangement worked fine for Soviet Union while it stayed united, but fell apart after its demise. Ukraine inherited a large number of vital institutions, so Russia still depend on some of them to keep their military running.

Soviet Union, in an attempt to avoid concentrating too many of its military research/manufacturing sites at one region, spread these institutions all over the former USSR republics. Germans almost crippled them when it hit Stalingrad during WWII, so they didn't want a repeat. The arrangement worked fine for Soviet Union while it stayed united, but fell apart after its demise. Ukraine inherited a large number of vital institutions, so Russia still depend on some of them to keep their military running.

So Russia really believed it's own hype?

Back when it was USSR I mean?

Am I following this right?

its currently the most powerful

you bet it is...

MegatronSpecialMortar.png

It just seems like something congress workshopped, like any thing they can agree to oppose must be comprised entirely of threatening or negatively-viewed elements.

It's been over 2 decades since the Berlin Wall fell , so why couldn't the Russians just set up shop inside Russia, especially now that they know the West is moving into Ukraine. They can move the maintenance facilities, and don't Russian scientists have the expertise?

It's been over 2 decades since the Berlin Wall fell , so why couldn't the Russians just set up shop inside Russia, especially now that they know the West is moving into Ukraine. They can move the maintenance facilities, and don't Russian scientists have the expertise?

Well now they can hand over over the blue prints to the SS-18 so we can figure out what it can and cant do. Since we invest heavily on missile defense

They simply did not have money to do so.

They simply did not have money to do so.

When Yeltsin was in power, Russia was a mess , with Oligarghs ripping off the Russia's natural resources and taking the money overseas. When Putin came in he turned things around a lot and Russian resources were taken out of the hands of these Oligarghs who didn't give a hoot about Russia. Higher gas prices and the aforementioned Putin changes made Russia flush with cash.

So my point is I find it hard to agree they didn't have the cash. I just don't think Russians would have set themself up to be soo vulnerable and feel the article is making this a bigger deal than it is.

Mostly three reasons:

1. Ukraine was in Russia's sphere of influence for most of the last 20 years, so the need to rebuild was low.

2. Money

3. Loss of experts and shrinking of industrial sector

When Yeltsin was in power, Russia was a mess , with Oligarghs ripping off the Russia's natural resources and taking the money overseas. When Putin came in he turned things around a lot and Russian resources were taken out of the hands of these Oligarghs who didn't give a hoot about Russia. Higher gas prices and the aforementioned Putin changes made Russia flush with cash.

So my point is I find it hard to agree they didn't have the cash. I just don't think Russians would have set themself up to be soo vulnerable and feel the article is making this a bigger deal than it is.
You forgot that Russia only defaulted in 1998, and it was not after 2001 that its economy began to take off due to high energy demands. However, it once again took a severe hit during the 2008 financial crisis, postponing their plans. Energy exporters are generally the first and hardest hit in a financial crisis. Because of that, their ability to maintain long term spending and restructuring plans is not on solid ground.

It's not just about the cash too. Russian industrial sector had been shrinking for the past 20 years, causing a massive brain drain. While USSR was quite inefficient with its economy, it was capable of making everything from toilet paper to aircraft carriers. Russia today can't do the same, and must import quite a bit of stuff to keep their industry afloat. The problem is that Russia lost the Eastern European and CIS market to China/US/Europe for industrial goods. It can't compete on high end with US/Europe, while China is ripping them a new asshole on the low end market. Because of that, Russian industry has been shrinking despite government intervention to boost it. Half of its revenue is dependent on oil and gas, which is prone to fluctuations on the market.

Don't forget that Russia's shrinking population too. It only has about half the population as the height of USSR.

Well now they can hand over over the blue prints to the SS-18 so we can figure out what it can and cant do. Since we invest heavily on missile defense
It doesn't work like that. Ukraine may only have part of the blueprint, while the rest is in Russia.

Back