Law Congress Is Trying to Make It a Federal Crime to Participate in Boycott of Israel

you can pledge allegiance to the US without BOYCOTTING ISRAEL

nothing says you have to pledge allegiance to Israel, in the slightest

Is this weird? absolutely, but nothing like what people are painting it out to be
It is an attack on every American who values the free exchange of ideas.

It is an attack on every American who values the free exchange of ideas.
i mean sure.....

if you're the type of person to actually boycot something, none the less a whole country and it's peoples...

last boycot the US actually had was what, the 1980 Olympics in Moscow?

Murkans are born as slaves to Israel.

So the guy the GOP called to speak to our congress in an attempt to undermine our Iran Nuclear deal is facing corruption charges.

Very cool.

What was the Democrat attendance like?

No sarcasm

Wut? The left has always been anti Israel dude. Hell the PIRA in the 80s stood with the PLO.

beechmountave_mural_1982_pppa.jpg
and what does a highly religious (catholic), extremely conservative, and intrinsically nationalistic organization like the fucking PIRA, have to do with 'leftism'. you must be one of those special kind of retards who just assumes anything you dont like is liberal or leftist.

Here's a clue train for you. The IRA split into two factions during the 60's. the non-violent left leaning OIRA, the very NON leftist PIRA....the guys who shot motherfuckers and bombed shit all the time. Guess which one THAT picture is depicting...

and what does a highly religious (catholic), extremely conservative, and intrinsically nationalistic organization like the fucking PIRA, have to do with 'leftism'. you must be one of those special kind of retards who just assumes anything you dont like is liberal or leftist.

Here's a clue train for you. The IRA split into two factions during the 60's. the non-violent left leaning OIRA, the very NON leftist PIRA....the guys who shot motherfuckers and bombed shit all the time. Guess which one THAT picture is depicting...

I'm leftist and pretty pro IRA you fucking dingus. I know all about the OIRA and the PIRA split, also you're quite wrong. The political arm of the PIRA Sinn Fein is a LEFTIST group.

there is so little honesty when it comes to Israel, it almost seems like there's something to hide...

I pledge allegiance to planet earth...

#noborders

What a planetist post. If you don't pledge allegiance to the galaxy FIRST you are a bigot. What do you have against your fellow Martians and Venusians??

There have been federal laws imposing tax penalties for American companies participating in the boycott of Israel since 1977 (when the Arab League began its boycott and began requiring businesses it did business with to require an affidavit that these companies were participating in the boycott).

The new proposed federal legislation applies the same tax penalties to companies that participate in a boycott called by an international treaty organization such as the UN or the EU.

I am not sure if BDS would qualify.

As I noted in a different thread, this makes complete sense. Our corporations cannot be allowed to act in ways contrary to our foreign policy.

i mean sure.....

if you're the type of person to actually boycot something, none the less a whole country and it's peoples...

last boycot the US actually had was what, the 1980 Olympics in Moscow?
If that is what people wish to do, then it is within their rights to both encourage and expouse a protest without the fear of reprisal from the government, per The 1st Ammendment.

Just so I'm clear here...would it have been OK for U.S. companies to violate the economic sanctions imposed on Saddam Hussein's government?

I mean, suppose there was a U.S. company out there that supported Saddam? Do penalties against that company violate free speech?

Just so I'm clear here...would it have been OK for U.S. companies to violate the economic sanctions imposed on Saddam Hussein's government?

I mean, suppose there was a U.S. company out there that supported Saddam? Do penalties against that company violate free speech?

Do you realize that a boycott is speech?

Do you want to wipe your ass with the US Constitution, an American flag, or a dead US soldiers grave?

Of course I understand a boycott is speech. Do you understand that there are limitations on free speech as on all our other rights?

For example, you can speak out negatively against gays, but you can't refuse to do business with them.

Of course I understand a boycott is speech. Do you understand that there are limitations on free speech as on all our other rights?

For example, you can speak out negatively against gays, but you can't refuse to do business with them.
I hope you're not arguing that a business doesn't have the right to not directly do business with a foreign government. Because that's a totally separate issue than discriminate against a protected class.

I hope you're not arguing that a business doesn't have the right to not directly do business with a foreign government.

This has a triple negative. I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. Not sure it matters though....

Because that's a totally separate issue than discriminate against a protected class.

It's absolutely a different issue. My sole point was to indicate that we have restrictions on free speech (if a boycott is considered speech). There's also restrictions on freedom of religion.

Someone saying, "Don't you understand it's free speech?" isn't the be-all, end-all.

This has a triple negative. I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. Not sure it matters though....

It's absolutely a different issue. My sole point was to indicate that we have restrictions on free speech (if a boycott is considered speech). There's also restrictions on freedom of religion.

Someone saying, "Don't you understand it's free speech?" isn't the be-all, end-all.
What right would the US government have in punishing a business that refuses to engage in commerce, for moral, with a foreign government that is an ally of the US government?

What right would the US government have in punishing a business that refuses to engage in commerce, for moral, with a foreign government that is an ally of the US government?

Sorry this took so long. Got a call.

My answer would be absolutely none. A business has the absolute right to not do business with a country if it does not want to.

But let's back up a bit. The Arab League called for a boycott of Israel and would not do business with companies that did business with Israel or Israeli companies. The Ford and Carter Administrations and the respective Congresses understood this to be extortion. The Export Administration Act Amendments of 1977, made it illegal for a business to participate in a boycott called for by a foreign country if the boycott is a motivating factor for not doing business with Israel or an Israeli company. This has been found to be constitutional. So, were a company looking to do business with Israel, and then decides under a threat that it would be boycotted itself not to do business with Israel, it would be subject to tax penalties.

What the new proposed law would do is make it illegal for a business to participate in a boycott called for by a foreign company OR INTERNATIONAL TREATY ORGANIZATION (capitalized for emphasis) such as EU or UN if the boycott is a motivating factor.

Now, I don't know if BDS would qualify as an international treaty organization, but the BDS boycott is otherwise no different from the Arab League. It's not just BDS saying everybody should boycott Israel...BDS is also calling for the boycott of certain U.S. companies that do business with Israel or in the territories.

Back