Congress Considers Moon Camps and a Space Station Hotel for NASA's Future

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Congress held a meeting today on what NASA’s overall purpose should look like under the next few presidents. But agreement on just what that purpose might be—as witnesses discussed everything from the planned Mars trip to a proposal for a space station hotel—seemed far away.

“If we treated the Air Force like we do NASA, we’d have no flying aircraft. We cannot decide every few years what we want the purpose of the space program to be,” said former NASA administrator Mike Griffin to the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology this morning.

The Mars mission was a topic of heavy discussion. At one point, Congressman Ed Perlmutter (D-CO) waved a MARS 2033 bumpersticker over his head (whether he brought it with him to the meeting for that specific purpose, or simply has it on him at all times was unclear)—only to have his colleague Congressman Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) snap that perhaps Republicans should print their own Mars 2032 bumper stickers.

http://gizmodo.com/congress-considers-moon-camps-and-a-space-station-hotel-1761273633

10731147_978254092190504_5768794028494638067_n.png

YES YES!!!

“If God wanted us to go to Mars, he’d have given us a Moon to practice on.”

^ um...sure? Pretty moronic

already plans in place looking to privatize the ISS in the next 5-10 years. With initiatory ventures of concepts such as reusable rockets; economical nanosatellites easily configurable to private usage; as well as emerging push in travel/ tourism, I see the private sector dominating the LEO field of space so NASA and Co. can focus on beyond the hill sphere.

already plans in place looking to privatize the ISS in the next 5-10 years. With initiatory ventures of concepts such as reusable rockets; economical nanosatellites easily configurable to private usage; as well as emerging push in travel/ tourism, I see the private sector dominating the LEO field of space so NASA and Co. can focus on beyond the hill sphere.

i think we should have a moon base by the 80s

They never returned to the moon after the last manned expedition in 1972, because they were warned to NOT come back... they created space stations, they've been trying to reach Mars but "no sir, not the moon, we've been warned".. unfortunately the people in charge at NASA in 1972 have already passed or they are no longer active so these new generation in their gigantic ego are thinking they could come back to the moon thinking "we'll show them how us earthlings have developed in 40 years"... I dont see this new mentality going in any productive direction

I hope this comes to pass in my lifetime. It's sickening how NASA has been completely gutted.

Space travel seems like a collosal waste of money.

Probably gonna cost like $100 billion bro. Let's be real it'd probably take like 20 Sherdoggers to rustle up that much cash

I'd rather spend the $100 billion on NASA then war in the middle east.

Probably gonna cost like $100 billion bro. Let's be real it'd probably take like 20 Sherdoggers to rustle up that much cash

Unless I was one of the twenty, then it would take 25 of us. I have debt.

Yeah, let's spend billions and billions and billions to get some Tang and Velcro.

Do you understand the benfits of investing in space? No thats because you arent smart enough or have an open mind enough to understand that.

When you invest in space technology, everything else starts to advance a lot quicker. Medical science, computers, building technology, everything. Lets not forget the endless amount of mine-able asteroids and the endless possibliys of having people leave earth to lessing the stress on the planet.

Do you understand the benfits of investing in space? No thats because you arent smart enough or have an open mind enough to understand that.

When you invest in space technology, everything else starts to advance a lot quicker. Medical science, computers, building technology, everything. Lets not forget the endless amount of mine-able asteroids and the endless possibliys of having people leave earth to lessing the stress on the planet.

Or you could invest that money into computers, medicine, etc. Dork.

...Again you arent very smart, i don't expect you to understand.

That's the third time you've insulted me without saying anything of substance. I would tell you to stop projecting and converse, but it's obvious you have nothing to say.

That's the third time you've insulted me without saying anything of substance. I would tell you to stop projecting and converse, but it's obvious you have nothing to say.

Computers get smaller and more advanced when you go into space, medical science gets more advanced to help people who experience life in low grav and other worlds, because who knows what kind of sickness an diseases are out there there. Also when you get people off world, less shit more space and the planet can go about fixing herself. Everything has to get smaller when you launch it to save weight, and cost. Hell if we built a space elevator, it would be easier to bring rare metals, and rare material back down to earth.

Back