Congestion pricing coming to NYC

dissectingaorticaneurysm

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
vk4tntaqimjaqe35eoe0.jpg

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-congestion-pricing-cuomo-1.29209432
Under the agreement, tolls would be activated by the end of 2020 and charge drivers as they pass 60th Street in Manhattan. The FDR Drive and West Side Highway would be excluded. Car owners living within the tolled district and those making less than $60,000 a year would also be eligible for credits, according to the budget. Drivers wouldn't be tolled more than once per day.

A six-person Traffic Mobility Review Board will next year recommend toll pricing, which could vary based on the time of day, as well as other exemptions and potential credits for drivers to the MTA's Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, which will oversee the program and give the state significant say over city traffic. The plan is expected to raise $1 billion a year, which the MTA could bond against for up to $15 billion.

That money would go into a “lockbox” for MTA capital projects, along with new revenue from an internet sales tax and progressive mansion tax. Each of those two taxes are anticipated to raise $320 million and $365 million, respectively, each year for the transit authority. All three together could be bonded against to raise a total $25 billion in new funding.

NYC now becomes the first American city to implement this, and it comes not a moment too soon. NYC is practically held to a standstill during rush hour due to overabundance of private car owners travelling through the city- at great detriment not only to themselves but the city as a whole.

The subway has been underfunded and any improvements require a Herculean effort due to its ancient infrastructure- leaving hundreds of thousands of commuters in misery every day.

Does anyone have a better solution?

I don't like the idea of a toll, to cross town, but again, I ask......

It's the perfect Pigovian tax and one that does not negatively disrupt NYC economy if public transit improves to absorb the increased burden. It only upsets a tiny fraction of the population- the ones who feel they deserve to commute in their own car but are too poor too pay the toll.

There will be people who have never lived in a city in their lives who protest this as an infringement on personal freedoms, never mind that it serves the greater good while forgetting driving is a privilege not a right.

If it succeeds, expect it to be adopted in other congested cities like Atlanta and LA.

Nope, there is no good solution to the problem period. The options are keep doing what they are doing (which will lead to bad things) or pour tons of money into the problem as the people in charge pray to god they are retired or moved on before the system fails entirely.

So long as the money is actually used to directly fund the roadways and public transport that eases congestion on that roadway

Illinois has a crap basket now because they put up tolls on all the interstates, and are now adding a 19 cent per gallon tax to pay for road repairs on said interstates, and it's leaving people to rightly wonder what the fuck their tax money of a buck per 10 miles has actually been doing all along.

So long as the money is actually used to directly fund the roadways and public transport that eases congestion on that roadway

Illinois has a crap basket now because they put up tolls on all the interstates, and are now adding a 19 cent per gallon tax to pay for road repairs on said interstates, and it's leaving people to rightly wonder what the fuck their tax money of a buck per 10 miles has actually been doing all along.

Yep, I won't support any tax increase in Washington state until they do away with the general budget.

I'm tired of getting sold infastructure and education while watching actual spending on those things remain the same, or get lowered.

Every local tax increase goes right into democratic groups pockets, and democratic politicians pockets.

The ignorant masses voting the Democratic Party will never stop, and this there is no pressure to end corruption.

When conservatives leave those cities, the cities will collapse from underfunding.

The roads in Illinois are fucking trash.

And Chicago is laid out like a 4th grader with epileptic dyslexia tried to design a city for his army of pet hamsters.

Fuck that whole city.

Every local tax increase goes right into democratic groups pockets, and democratic politicians pockets.

The ignorant masses voting the Democratic Party will never stop, and this there is no pressure to end corruption.

When conservatives leave those cities, the cities will collapse from underfunding.

Well try and remember this dumb as dirt post as we also pay for the rest of the country.

Well try and remember this dumb as dirt post as we also pay for the rest of the country.

It’s not white liberals and liberalism paying for the rest of the country Kong.

It’s the evil conservative corporations. Profits!

It's super expensive driving into NYC with tolls, probably 15-20 bucks. Not a big fan of the city either.

It's super expensive driving into NYC with tolls, probably 15-20 bucks. Not a big fan of the city either.
and that's perfectly fine! No one's asking you to spend your precious dollars coming into a city you hate! You go on and enjoy your fine dining at the Olive Garden in the middle of NJ or CT or wherever you drive in from. Aren't choices great?

and that's perfectly fine! No one's asking you to spend your precious dollars coming into a city you hate! You go on and enjoy your fine dining at the Olive Garden in the middle of NJ or CT or wherever you drive in from. Aren't choices great?

yes.

Found the New Yorker. Do you really think New York is the only place with nice restaurants?

It’s not white liberals and liberalism paying for the rest of the country Kong.

It’s the evil conservative corporations. Profits!

Thought all the evil Facebook and Nike types were liberals.

Found the New Yorker. Do you really think New York is the only place with nice restaurants?
lol I moved out of NYC because I couldnt afford it anymore. But I'd move back in an instant if my finances were better. And yes, NYC has by far the best restaurants in the entire Northeast corridor. And all the other places nearby with good nightlife and dining are in similarly congested cities like DC and Boston.

lol I moved out of NYC because I couldnt afford it anymore. But I'd move back in an instant if my finances were better. And yes, NYC has by far the best restaurants in the entire Northeast corridor. And all the other places nearby with good nightlife and dining are in similarly congested cities like DC and Boston.
You should travel more. Each to their own though. I do agree the best restaurants are usually in cities though.

Thought all the evil Facebook and Nike types were liberals.

They are evil, and socially liberal. Want republican free enterprise.

Hedge funds, international banks, all Wall Street, etc........evil and not liberal. Want republican free enterprise.

It’s why Kong doesn’t make sense when he claims “liberals” are supporting other states. Big business is. And they aren’t liberal.

Back