1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

confusion on the front foot sweep in sambo

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Evan_The_Kid_1, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Evan_The_Kid_1 Hybrid Wrestler

in the fedor book, and in numerous other sambo books and dvds they always have a variation of it, and no matter what tie up im in i still cant get the foot sweep right. can anyone try to help me? i put my sole on his foot and everything and i still cant do it

heres a link that shows a variation of the move incase u dont kn ow what im talking about

YouTube - How to Do Sambo Martial Arts : The Front Foot Sweep in SAMBO Martial Arts

2. SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    you have to actually pull him over it. it's not using his own momentum or anything, it's an actual pull

3. Evan_The_Kid_1 Hybrid Wrestler

so ur foot is there just to hold him in place, while u move him with the rest of your body?

4. 3 dimensional Banned Banned

sweep with the foot...

5. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre ! Yellow Card

I couldn't really watch carefuly since your vid was blocked by all this text, this looks very much like Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi.

From my understanding of the technique here are some crucial aspects:

- DO use opponent's momentum :he steps forward, and you exagerate his movement by pulling him
    - The way I see it is that you don t sweep his leg, but rather block it from moving forward.
    - use a steering wheel motion with your hands : if you are blocking his RIGHT foot, you pull his right sleeve down and his left lapel up
    - Most important: STEP OUT OF THE WAY. This is the hardest part because it requires that you have good rythm and footwork otherwise you won t be able to pull him off balance.

YouTube - Sasae Tsuri-Komi Ashi (Instruction)

6. SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    Sure. It all depends where his weight is centered though. In judo there are two similar but opposite sweeps called kosoto gari and de ashi harai. In kosoto gari you sweep him over his standing leg's ankle by pulling him over it, almost the same way as in the front foot sweep. In de ashi harai your leg does almost the same thing except that it's executed while he's stepping forward, not while he's standing, so that his weight is about to be on the foot but isn't yet on it-- you sweep his foot under him using your foot at the exact moment he's expecting to step down with it. So whether you sweep his foot under him, or sweep his upper body over his foot, just depends where his weight is at the time.