Confused about Sparring

Alibilly97

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Basically, when I stand up spar, I feel like most my combos aren't landing and the only shots i do possibly land are odd counters & I also feel hesitant to throw leg kicks, in fear they'd be useless, or be checked, has anyone got any tips to help with these issues:/

Your asking how to fight.

What do you want a complete breakdown of how to beat any opponent?
It doesn't exist, keep training and post a thread when you have a specific question.

I guess you are right!

To be more specific:
1. Tips on landing combos from pads in sparring with efficiency, rather than just using there guard as the pad and nothing happening?
2. Any tips when there a likely time a leg kick should be thrown with a higher percentage change of landing?

Last edited:
1. I'm a MT noob so I have the same trouble;

2. throw your leg kicks at the end of your combinations.

I think i worry about hurting myself on their knees haha

Its just everyone down our MMA is stronger than me so the only thing i have is technique, which is usually outdone anyway

Throw the combo against their guard and change levels, something will get through. Throw kicks mid combo.

'm wondering would it be possible/logical to push kick against there guard to split it?

[/B]

Is this true?

For beginners, yes. As you learn better technique and become more comfortable, I think its a good idea to out a few punches behind your kicks to discourage guys from moving in off of his block/check.

I'm not as advanced as some of the other posters here, but here's my 2c.

1. Tips on landing combos from pads in sparring with efficiency, rather than just using there guard as the pad and nothing happening?
2. Any tips when there a likely time a leg kick should be thrown with a higher percentage change of landing?

1. You mentioned you can't land your combos, is this because they're backing off/moving around or that you can't lean clean hits? If its the earlier, work on pursing combos. If its the later, mix things up. eg. jab, cross, hook(body), leg kick

2. I usually go with hands to keep their guard up (2-4), when all their attention is focused there, I slam a kick there (leg/body). If they're backing up, thats also a good time to throw the leg kick also

'm wondering would it be possible/logical to push kick against there guard to split it?

At this point if their guard is up, kick to the leg or body (if the guard is high) would be good

Last edited:
Cheers for the input j123!

its just the trouble with combos is they down seem to open up, when i did boxing, i flt i ad some variety in combos, but now later on in MMA i feel the combos aren't doing much good!

If you're having trouble transferring combinations from the pads onto an opponent, the issue could very well be your footwork and positioning. This was the issue I had years ago, having been taught the combination and position, even how to move when hitting the pads, but not how to do that against another person. It's the gap between pads and sparring that should be covered with drills.

Yea. i can jab that probably the only thing I am capable of landing hahah

I think i worry about hurting myself on their knees haha

You will, but it's hardly a problem. If you train a contact sport, getting hurt is something you need to get used to and even embrace (I usually use it as an excuse to get drunk, high and fat :wink:).

Also, your hesitation and fear of getting hurt makes you a predictable fighter and your combinations will never land. I believe one of the most important things if you want to become a good fighter is to be aware, not afraid, that you might get hurt, but not letting it affect you. Being decisive will help you land both your combinations and your kicks.

Back