Confess your UFC/MMA ignorance

I expected Vitor Bumfort to be a good fighter because the Internet said he was.

I then swiftly discovered he’s a total bum and loser.

When did you start watching?

I was a casual at first. One of the earliest fights I saw was Weideman vs Silva 2. My buddy would drag me to bars during PPVs.

Got into it a lot more during the Ronda Era started to watch whenever it was on TV.

Then became slowly became hardcore when Adesanya came along. That’s when I became absolutely OBSESSED. Stopped watching other sports and watched fights 24/7.

I was a casual at first. One of the earliest fights I saw was Weideman vs Silva 2. My buddy would drag me to bars during PPVs.
Got into it a lot more during the Ronda Era started to watch whenever it was on TV.

Then became slowly became hardcore when Adesanya came along. That’s when I became absolutely OBSESSED. Stopped watching other sports and watched fights 24/7.
Right on so back in the day when Gina carano was exploding, we still called it womens mma. She was the great hope. Hot and undefeated. Finishing girls irrc. WMMA as an acronym or whatevr is newer essentially appearing around the time you started watching. Through out that entire tim period it has been considered to be inferior because... it is.
But it started later. And women arent men. So if you like it cool. I enjoy many women fighters but as a whole the sport with women is lacking. Talent will continue to creep upward.

I've become more and more casual as time goes by. I know way less of the up and coming names and many names on a card mean nothing to me. I just tune in for some violence now

I've never paid for a ppv

Thats the onlt way to be

Too much filler to learn everyone

Whatever I think or thought,is best.

- I was real young (around 11-12) and my mom would let me rent anything I wanted from the video store. I was watching Pancrase and Vale Tudo before the UFC. Then when UFC came out, I was like....wtf is this shit. Thought it would go nowhere.

- When Pride came out, I strictly watched that. Ordered each DVD and a few PPV's. Scoffed at anything UFC related.

- Now I'm 39, and I don't know the name of every submission. I also don't keep track of each fighter. There's just too many now to really get behind.

- I know Jon Jones abilities, but simply because he's made bad personal choices and eye pokes, I just simply won't get behind him even if he were to make everything right.

I never knew that 10 years ago brian ortega had a choice

I thought erik silva was old

I wasn't following the UFC during PRIDE's heyday because I thought most of the LHW & HW fights were boring AF in comparison. I went back through the catalog after Pride fell and realized I missed quite a few really solid scraps.

We were all noobs at one point and some of us might have been a little slow to catch on to certain MMA related things, for instance:
  1. I was a young kid when UFC1 happened and I had thought that the fighters were going to fight to the death. I was disappoint.
  2. I used to think Charles Oliveira's nickname, "do bronx", was always a misspelling and was actually supposed to be "da bronx".
  3. I used to think that the interlocking fish smash was some kind of Sherdog joke which described a maneuver in women's MMA when both fighters had their legs intertwined on the ground and their vaginas were coming into contact with each other. kind of like a "scissor" maneuver.
Now that i've cleansed my soul of its ignorance, it is time for you all to confess!
Not sure if it counts but:
1. Thought Lil Nog was going to kill Sokadjou
2. Thought Shogun was going to kill Forrest
3. Thought Machida/Hendo/Belfort were going to kill Jones

When UFC became sanctioned, I was slow to go oh yeah there is limited striking now.
That Cyborg was a female.
That Dana was a superstar.
The most pride fighters were better at that time.
That I would like watching some Women MMA fighters.
How corrupt the UFC organization was.

Last edited:
Back