Conditioning question

PWR1982

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gonna be living at this place for the next week, it has 5x5m swimming pool and a 50m long "hill" - well it's just a pretty steep way from the gate the place to the house.

I've never done any conditioning, although because I'm always late for school, I run 400m, and after I get out of the bus, I run 400m again - pretty much every day, or at least I did before summer started, I'm pretty sure I could have run a 400m in 60 seconds or a bit more, before I gained 30pounds. So hopefully I'm not bad, but I don't remember the last time I ran a longer distance than 800m. I've also done 100burpees in 9minutes quite some time ago, but I'm heavier in worse shape now, so it would probably take like +-14 I guess.

My goals for conditioning are to be able to stay fast, explosive for 5 minutes straight in bjj, and to be able to again go those 5 minutes, after I rest for 5 minutes - 5mins rolling, 5mins rest intervals.

I will have loads of time, but I have no idea how much I should run, if I should even bother running such a small distance, or if the swimming pool will actually be useful for anything besides cooling down.

I was thinking I would run up as fast I can, and then quite slowly jog down, repeat like 15times? Or should I just run as many as I can within 6minutes, then rest 4, repeat? I just have no idea how much I should run for the best results. Is there really such a thing as over training when you're training your conditioning, shouldn't I just do as many as my will is up for (which probably won't be that many anyway) ?

Are you going to be in prison or something? Can`t you just go out and run?

I think you should start from 30 minutes at a comfortable pace and slowly increase time and speed. Stick to the basics.

As far as the swimming pool goes, well, 5mx5m is more like a very large bathub.

You can mix it up with burpees if gets boring.

Sure I can go out and run, it's just that I won't have weights so I thought that I could finally do some conditioning. I thought that even for a beginner like me some sprints would be really good, especially if my goals are to be able to keep conditioned for grappling - which is pretty different in it's conditioning needs than say boxing. But I guess that maybe doing some normal running is better for a beginner like me.

Can I go for more than one 30minute run? Can I take breaks?

If you're just doing conditioning I would do a couple days of high intensity stuff (e.g. hill sprints) and a couple days of LSD stuff. For LSD I agree with paolo27th, start with a 30 minute jog at a comfortable pace and slowly increase the time you run and the speed. If you feel like you need a break during your 30 minute jog you should just slow down to a pace that you can maintain.

For the hill sprints you can do it one of two ways. First way, sprint up, jog/walk down and then do it again as soon as you get to the bottom. In this situation you are basing your intervals on time so it will work your anaerobic capacity since you probably won't be giving yourself enough time to recovery between rounds (sprints).

Second way, sprint up, walk down and wait for your heart rate to return to something reasonable (e.g. 120 BPM or just when you feel more comfortable). Using your heart rate to determine your intervals will build your anaerobic power since you will be (more or less) fully recovered for each interval.

(This is basically what I've gathered from EZA's thread)

DrBdan so the second way of sprinting isn't actually much of cardio, or is it? I'm not sure what you mean by anaerobic power means.

DrBdan so the second way of sprinting isn't actually much of cardio, or is it? I'm not sure what you mean by anaerobic power means.

By anaerobic power I mean how much power your anaerobic system can produce, so in terms of sprints it would translate to how fast you could run up the hill.

In my thinking, you want to be able to produce more power, for longer. The first way helps you go longer, while the second way helps you go harder (more power).

If you haven't read EZA's sticky you should (how to solve your conditioning problem). It's a bit long and a little confusing (it's not all laid out nicely since it's a thread and not a single article) but it has a lot of good info in it.

Back