Conditioning for Wrestling

Jacob_The_Great

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Next year I am joining my high school's wrestling team to complement my BJJ. I am a freshman now and will be a sophmore when I join the team and not in the shape I would like to be in (I'm not in bad shape just would like to have a lot more endurance and strength while wrestling). I am hoping to bust my ass in the summer to get in better shape for wrestling. My question is are there any wrestling specific exercises that will get me to the place I want to be by next year?

I'm no expert on wrestling but I'd say increase your overall GPP and Work Capacity, you'll be good! Like do burpees, and power snatches and things that will build power/endurance!

burpees are always a good answer. you could also try animal exercises and neck bridges

burpees/ sprawls will get you tired no matter how much you run so i would highly suggest them. It took me a long time to learn how to shoot, what really helped me is practicing my shot in a pool.

Wrestling Specific? basically any and all conditioning you want to do will help, but still not be enough to make it so you won't be dog-ass tired and beat on the first day of actual live wrestling...but hey, that's the point of practice right?...I always ran, (LSD and Sprints), did burpees, sprawls, drilled takedowns, bear-crawled, and the jump rope is your friend both for conditioning and cutting weight, i did more jump rope thru my high school years than I even WANT to remember...basically what I am TRYING to say is do a lot of everything, and it will help, but still be ready for that first day of live wrestling to be a BEEOTCH! I'm a firm believer in there is NO better conditioning than live wrestling. oh and one other thing....welcome! wrestling is a sport, but it's a different kind of sport, and it takes a different kind of athlete, a different kind of person, and a different kind of toughness, so go bust ass and do it proudly, and win or lose know that you've done something a LOT of people cant do and will never understand

Dobe

Wrestling specific conditioning drills:

-Live wrestling (The most important conditioning)

-High intensity, constant drills. This could involve shot-reshot drills, single-leg drills, escaping drills, position drills, arm-drags, circling..., et cetera. The purpose of these exercises is to be drilled with very high intensity, like in a match. You are never resting and are constantly working on technique in an aggressive and explosive manner.

-Solo drills. Continuity of Stand-up escape drills, switch-drills, shot drills, sprawl drills, shadow wrestling, balance drills, top position exercises, etc. The purposes of these exercises is to never stop as well. Focus on the technique and form of what you are doing, while drilling as fast and hard as you can.

-Situational drills. These drills focus on live wrestling in different aspects of the wrestling position. For example, one wrestler is in the top position and has to maintain that position, while the other wrestler tries to escape or counter. When one wrestler advances their position or holds onto the position for 30 seconds, they will start over or switch positions. This can be done when one wrestler is pinned and another is on his back, trying to escape. It can also be done in different takedown positions. For example, when one wrestler has a single leg or a double leg, starting out, and has to take the wrestler down, while the other wrestler defends. There are many positions in wrestling that need to be practiced with an emphasis on. This will improve your wrestling game and your conditioning.

Non-Wrestling conditioning exercises:

-Burpees. Incredible and tiring exercise. Combine this with shadow-wrestling or another exercises, such as pushups.

-Jumproping. This will develop stamina and coordination. To motivate the wrestler... if you mess up when jumproping, do five push-ups. Jumprope for twenty minutes, at least. With the combination of pushups and jumproping, your arms will be burning.

-Sprints (HIT) - Do this on your own or with your team. Combine sprinting, for 30 seconds, with jogging. In my wrestling days, we used to sprint up and down the hallway six times, and then do another hard exercise for thirty seconds, to rest. Bear Crawls, crab walks, jumping squats, burpees, pushups, or even crunches will suffice.

-Stairs. Stairs are a great workout. Try to add variety in your approach to doing stairs. For example, run up every other step, every step, hop up the steps, sprint up the steps, and jog up the steps. Change up the rotation and do stairs until you cry.

-Swimming. Conditioning for every part of your body and easy on the joints.

I am a high school wrestling coach. For an off season workout, I have my guys lift three days a week. Do cardio two days a week, and have open mats one day a week. Focus on staying in shape. Remember this is not inseason, focus on improving technique and getting stronger. In your case, see if your high school has open gyms. You can learn the basics and be ready for next year.

The closer to your season you get, lift more for reps and increase your conditiong. Your coach should have a game plan to make you peak for regionals/sectionals/state. Be in good shape, and your coach will get you to great shape at the right time.

I have found if my guys try to stay in great shape all year, they burnout, and lose focus. Hope that helps.

A lot of times one high school in the area (sometimes it's a private school) will have a summer time wrestling camp. Try to find one.
Also go to onthematt.com and get some advice from there.

In the mean time long distance running, sprints, stadiums, burpees and one that we have our kids do is find a 4' high fence and hop it 30 to 40 times, this will help you with upper body endurance and strength.

Congratulations, what Dobe said was correct, so many can't do it and many more don't understand what it takes.

Wrestling specific conditioning drills:

-Live wrestling (The most important conditioning)

-High intensity, constant drills. This could involve shot-reshot drills, single-leg drills, escaping drills, position drills, arm-drags, circling..., et cetera. The purpose of these exercises is to be drilled with very high intensity, like in a match. You are never resting and are constantly working on technique in an aggressive and explosive manner.

-Solo drills. Continuity of Stand-up escape drills, switch-drills, shot drills, sprawl drills, shadow wrestling, balance drills, top position exercises, etc. The purposes of these exercises is to never stop as well. Focus on the technique and form of what you are doing, while drilling as fast and hard as you can.

-Situational drills. These drills focus on live wrestling in different aspects of the wrestling position. For example, one wrestler is in the top position and has to maintain that position, while the other wrestler tries to escape or counter. When one wrestler advances their position or holds onto the position for 30 seconds, they will start over or switch positions. This can be done when one wrestler is pinned and another is on his back, trying to escape. It can also be done in different takedown positions. For example, when one wrestler has a single leg or a double leg, starting out, and has to take the wrestler down, while the other wrestler defends. There are many positions in wrestling that need to be practiced with an emphasis on. This will improve your wrestling game and your conditioning.

Non-Wrestling conditioning exercises:

-Burpees. Incredible and tiring exercise. Combine this with shadow-wrestling or another exercises, such as pushups.

-Jumproping. This will develop stamina and coordination. To motivate the wrestler... if you mess up when jumproping, do five push-ups. Jumprope for twenty minutes, at least. With the combination of pushups and jumproping, your arms will be burning.

-Sprints (HIT) - Do this on your own or with your team. Combine sprinting, for 30 seconds, with jogging. In my wrestling days, we used to sprint up and down the hallway six times, and then do another hard exercise for thirty seconds, to rest. Bear Crawls, crab walks, jumping squats, burpees, pushups, or even crunches will suffice.

-Stairs. Stairs are a great workout. Try to add variety in your approach to doing stairs. For example, run up every other step, every step, hop up the steps, sprint up the steps, and jog up the steps. Change up the rotation and do stairs until you cry.

-Swimming. Conditioning for every part of your body and easy on the joints.

About as good as it get there.

Find 1 buddy who will work with you and Wrestle Live Timed Rounds with him. If you want to do that 3 days a week and work in Sprints and other things mentioned about the other three days you will def be on the right track. Take one good solid day off or two if you want to wrestle 3 and cardio 2. Once again this is being done to help you with the transition when the time comes. You can go harder if you want.

Your skill level will be low but with a JJ back ground you should be fine and ready to go and learn when Practice starts! I never lifted during season but off season it is cool.

man i cant wait for summer, im a freshman like you, but during the summer, there a greco, collegiate and freestlye place that the whole team can go to. i heard its one of the best in the nation

oh yaeh also be prepared to have very little sleep. some of the meets we went to started at like 5:00 and ended at 9:00 and i got home at like 10:00

I am a high school wrestling coach. For an off season workout, I have my guys lift three days a week. Do cardio two days a week, and have open mats one day a week. Focus on staying in shape. Remember this is not inseason, focus on improving technique and getting stronger. In your case, see if your high school has open gyms. You can learn the basics and be ready for next year.

The closer to your season you get, lift more for reps and increase your conditiong. Your coach should have a game plan to make you peak for regionals/sectionals/state. Be in good shape, and your coach will get you to great shape at the right time.

I have found if my guys try to stay in great shape all year, they burnout, and lose focus. Hope that helps.

Agreed, for now get in the GPP and focus on getting stronger, not necessarily bigger however. Mental burnout, not over-training is an obstacle that you may face if you try to stay in top form all year long.
Good luck!

Back