Conditioning for firefighters

Here in California, if my memory serves me correctly, it's the highest ranking person first on scene is the OIC. They can also enter the building, but we use a " 2 in 2 out " rule.

Ain't allowed to take photos and put then on the interwebs (even though the public can do so) but this one is anonymous enough. I was the first on scene to this about a month ago. Guess where the driver's head is?

Firefighters have one of the hardest jobs on earth and I can't give them enough cred. Different departments do things differently but some rules are universal. Physical fitness is a great benefit, and I will defend that to the end, but it is not a requirement.

I've only trained to be a firefighter - never actually had to fight any real fires, but that's enough to tell me that actually fighting a fire is seriously hard work.

Carry a high-rise hose pack up 10 flights of stairs while wearing turnout gear and an air pack.
Pull a charged hose line up a flight of stairs.
Throw a 30' ladder
Drag a 200 lb "victim" down a hall and through a window.
Open up vent holes in a roof using an axe

That's pretty common firefighter stuff. Then remember that a lot of it has to be done while breathing through a limited (30 min) supply if air. It'll go a lot faster if you are out of shape and sucking wind.

Plus, all the firefighters around here under 40 are generally some pretty squared away guys. If nothing else, I'd at least want to not be the biggest girly man in my company.

Last edited:
Most firefighters will never have to walk up more than a couple flights of stairs except the guys who work in cities.

I know of firefighters who were machines though: those guys who walked all the way up the world trade center during 9/11. They have been part of my motivation to do cardio ever since. I read in a book about 9/11 where someone of the firefighters had to drop out and give their load to others to continue on. If the moment in life ever comes I want to be that guy: the guy who can take up the burden when coming to the aid of others and just not stop no matter what.

JRT6, that last sentence sums up the kind of conditioning opinions I was looking for. I just got hired in one of the top 5 largest departments in North America, with lots of vertical development happening. So stairs will definitely be in my future lol.

Anyways, if anyone has any more opinions I'll be glad to hear them! Thanks to everyone who already contributed.

K

Ain't allowed to take photos and put then on the interwebs (even though the public can do so) but this one is anonymous enough. I was the first on scene to this about a month ago. Guess where the driver's head is?

Where?

Under the car. Somehow he lived and I had one fucked conversation with him.

Never been in a structure fire. Never been on an ems run. I have been a wildland firefighter since 97. Those structure guys take a beating in a wildland environment. Pi would hate to be on a structure fire on a hot summer day in bunker gear would be brutal. JRT6 may disagree but multiple ems runs on a hot day would probably get tiring. It seems like the better you are conditioned the better you can deal with the heat. Which is huge in my opinion.

For Firemen, as well as other first responders, low back injuries are common from repeatedly handling loaded stretchers incorrectly. Practice good posture and lifting technique in your daily work. Condition for the things you'll do every day. Those are the things you truly need to be prepared for. These might not be the most glamorous parts of the job, or the first things you think of when you think of conditioning, either (ie police; who often sustain chronic injuries from sitting in the car all day with poor posture).

Congratulations!

Joe
www.joetoproathlete.com

Back