Conditioning & Asthma

RukshawM4st3r

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure this belongs in S&C because its almost some self help advice which means it might merit teh geyberry but I'll post it anyways.

So I've always had asthma since I was a little kid but I've never let it stop me from exercising or competitive sports. I've always been in descent and athletic shape, at first paying soccer for along time and then getting into martial arts. But i've always had to rely on asthma medicine before I would do cardio to stop my lungs from closing up when I worked out. I've basically had a mixture of sports induced and polin induced asthma since I was a kid.

Now that I graduated and got a pretty sweet job, I had to switch from dads health insurance to my own with my new company. So being that I had to consider paying at least the co-pay for asthma medicine on my new policy I started thinking about going with out it.

For about two weeks I would do my usual routine which includes alot of cardio and slowly started phasing out my asthma medicine. For about the first week it sucked because my lungs would close up when i ran but I basically just pushed myself through it and forced myself not to use the inhaler. Its been like two weeks and now I dont even need to use it anymore. Basically I just willed myself off it and the only reason I keep it around now is incase i decide to roll in cat fur.

Just thought I'd share incase inbody else has had asthma for along time. Maybe this will give you some perspective on supposed clinical disorders. And if you feel like I just wasted your time:

vida-guerra-1.jpg

I used to have really bad asthma when I was a kid. This included trips to the hospital and constantly using nebulizers. My parents signed me up for swimming lessons. I got really good at swimming quickly and within a couple of years I no longer suffered from asthma symptoms. I eventually quit swimming (The only lessons I had left to complete dealt with live saving techniques and life guarding but I was too young and I didn't like the competitive coaches). I then switched to soccer.

The only time I had to go back on asthma medicine was after I caught pneumonia when I was thirteen. They only stayed with me for a few months until I got back into decent shape. Even during the last few years when I let myself get out of shape during college I've never had my asthma return. I truly believe the work done during my early years saved me a lot of trouble.

I don't think my asthma was trigger related though.

I was like this as well when I was younger. Constantly having asthma attacks, trips to the hospital, and frequently having to use my inhaler/nebulizer. It really sucked, and along with it, I had HORRIBLE allergies that triggered it easily, as well as sports-related triggers. Even though I swam from ages 5-18, and did kickboxing,boxing and baseball, it never truly went away until I started doing constant cardio along with wrestling.
Wrestling really got rid of it, because I refused to allow myself to look/be weak in front of my teammates, so I would leave my inhaler at home. It led to alot of pain on my part, but it paid off, because the wrestling really beat my asthma problems out of me. I've gotten much better at regulating my breathing, and maintaining a pace that doesn't push my body to hard, to quickly.

Yeah I had some asthma that hit when I was younger only when I ran outside in the cold. So now I just run inside on the indoor track, the treadmill, or the full size indoor football field. I think I had it lucky that I really have only had to deal with it for 4 years, and now have been able to workout indoors when I need to in the cold weather months, but marathon and half marathon training gets boring when its 4 plus miles indoors.

Don't discount the benefits of swimming with regards to pulmonary health. I have had approximately a dozen close friends reduce the burden of their asthma on their physical well being significantly through swimming.

However, I wouldn't throw away your inhalers, asthma is a very dynamic illness and it can hit you pretty quick when you least expect it. It doesn't take long to clog those little alveoli full of muck, nor does it take long to develop a severe bronchospasm. Especially in the setting of physical exertion. I'd err on the side of caution and keep your medication handy.

I was diagnosed with bronchitis around the age of 10. It was upgraded(?) to asthma at the age of 12 when I suffered a cat allergy asthma related attack. I was sleeping over my friends apartment for a couple of days and he had 3 cats. They gave a preventil inhaler a manual respirator and a blow tube.

In high school I told my running coach about the condition. He recommended that I tape the inhaler to my hand or chest before practices/meets so that I'd always have it and be ready to use it just in case. At first I used it proactively before practices but within a month I stopped using it. I did keep it with me throughout hs but I never needed it.

As an adult I am remain aware of my asthma triggers some cats and smoke. Cold weather is pretty rough when doing road work. Now I no longer have an inhaler.

Kind of off topic but curious:

Had you ever tried going dairy free to see if it helps your asthma?

I also had asthma when younger and like all of you saw benefits from exercise. When I started surfing year round I kept my inhaler in my car for a winter, then lost it and haven't seen it since. (This was 6 or 7 years ago). No issues whatsoever.

My 5 y.o. son has had Asthma since about 7 months old. Until last December he had never gone a month without a moderate to severe episode. In fact, from the time he was 7 months until he was about two or three he coughed every night of his life without exception. The last major episode was December and we're hoping he's growing out of it. Several trips to the ER, way too many doses of Prednisilone for someone his age, nebulizers, Advair, etc.

We got him into soccer this past Spring and he was actually able to keep it under control for the most part and I don't recall him missing a game because of it. I was a proud poppa when he scored 13 goals the last 3 games of the season - 6 in just the last game. I had to move him to defense because it simply wasn't fair to the other team. :)

My 5 y.o. son has had Asthma since about 7 months old. Until last December he had never gone a month without a moderate to severe episode. In fact, from the time he was 7 months until he was about two or three he coughed every night of his life without exception. The last major episode was December and we're hoping he's growing out of it. Several trips to the ER, way too many doses of Prednisilone for someone his age, nebulizers, Advair, etc.

We got him into soccer this past Spring and he was actually able to keep it under control for the most part and I don't recall him missing a game because of it. I was a proud poppa when he scored 13 goals the last 3 games of the season - 6 in just the last game. I had to move him to defense because it simply wasn't fair to the other team. :)

Fuck that shit!, Your kid is an alpha dog, move him back up front!

Fuck that shit!, Your kid is an alpha dog, move him back up front!

This is YMCA soccer so that type of thing wouldn't go over too well. But it was pretty satisfying going from worrying about if he'd be able to even play an entire season because of his Asthma to him lighting up the other teams.

We've been weaning him off of his Advair the last few months. I'd love to be able to do what you did and take him off of it completely, but when it's your child it's a bit different.

That's great scopj! My 8 year old son also has had some pretty bad asthma since about 2 years old. Soccer has also helped him a lot. He still needs occasional medicine during certain seasons though - like right now. I'm really glad that he seems to be outgrowing it. I've had some pretty stressful nights with his coughing.

Ruckshaw, that's a good story, but a better picture.

Back