Conditioning 3x3 minute rounds

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm training for an MT fight, 3x3 minute rounds.

I already do a shitload of plyos, cardio, skills training and sparring, but I also want to implement some training that will go for the exact duration of my fight (or a bit more).

Anyone have some suggestions as to which exercises 3 minute cardio rounds could be comprised of?

I realise a lot of the choices are obvious (burpees, heavy bag), but in your experience what are the best ways to combine them?

Obviously I will have to experiment for what feels right for me, but some pointers might allow me to find what works best more quickly.

Good suggestions of exercises I may not have considered?

Have no idea what you`re doing now but something you should try is from 2 weeks out cut out all the general strenght and conditioning work and do absolutely everything for 3x3minutes - of course this doesn`t include warm-ups and cool-downs. If you spar, hit the bag or pads just go balls out 3x3mins, then rest a few rounds and repeat.

Thank-you, that's a good suggestion. At the moment I am strength training 3x per week and getting in 6 hours of skills training which takes care of cardio, plyos, and sparring too.

I'm adding timed endurance onto one of my weight sessions, as Glenn Pendlay suggested in the FAQ, and looking to add one extra conditioning circuit per week, to be done earlier or later on the same day as light technical sparring.

Thank-you, that's a good suggestion. At the moment I am strength training 3x per week and getting in 6 hours of skills training which takes care of cardio, plyos, and sparring too.

I'm adding timed endurance onto one of my weight sessions, as Glenn Pendlay suggested in the FAQ, and looking to add one extra conditioning circuit per week, to be done earlier or later on the same day as light technical sparring.

Personally I`d reduce the weights from 4 weeks out and totally cut them out alltogether from 2 weeks before along with everything else that isn`t essential. The only reason I`ll still do some general conditioning in that time is to keep my weight under control.

Depending on how much time you have you want to start out slow and build your base and use shorter workouts with higher intensity as you approach the fight.

Another thing is you only do 6hrs of skill training while take up 3 whole sessions for weights. What is your goal? Lifting weights or competing in MT? You don`t need that much strenght in MT and if that`s your goal you may want to consider spending more time on skill training or conditioning.

I was planning to drop the weights to the two day split in the FAQ 4-6 weeks out, and then altogether two weeks out.

My eventual goal is to compete in some amateur MMA fights (don't have dreams of going pro, lol). I have 14 years experience in striking but only 1 proper year of training in wrestling/grappling. So that is my obvious weakness and I am trying to ensure I have at least a basic level of strength to help me prop that up whilst I am working on the technical aspects.

The opportunity for the MT fight just came up and I figured what the heck. It's really fun to compete! After that I'll be able to put striking somewhat on the backburner for a little while and concentrate 75% of my skill-training on wrestling/ground game to bring that up to scratch.

I realise strength isn't a substitute for wrestling/grappling ability, haha, as much as a lot of strong guys like to think it is....

Closer to fight time you can do some specific cardio other than bag/pad/spar. Set up a really high intensity circuit, either with 30 second rotations or have it set as X number of reps and rotate, and go by the 3x3 minutes. Also, reduce the time limit inbetween rounds to 30-45 seconds instead of the whole minute.

You need more skill training mate. 6 hours is what, 3 sessions a week. You should really be at 5 sessions a week, 3 pads and 2 sparring orientated. You could do more outside, but that should be just long slow stuff to help recovery.

About 6-8 weeks out the horrible stuff usually kicks in and you need maintenance work for the strength from about 4 weeks as you should be knackered from the up in volume and intensity.

I would personally cut out weights from 2 weeks, you won't lose a lot in 3 weeks (including the deload week after the fight).

Closer to fight time you can do some specific cardio other than bag/pad/spar. Set up a really high intensity circuit, either with 30 second rotations or have it set as X number of reps and rotate, and go by the 3x3 minutes. Also, reduce the time limit inbetween rounds to 30-45 seconds instead of the whole minute.

Agreed on the gradual reducation on rest.

Thanks so much Ian. I appreciate the replies from a pro. I will up my hours spent sparring. In classes I probably do 4 hours mits, 2 hours sparring. I can spar with my housemate and get an extra 2 hours in on my current schedule (balancing uni with work and training)

Once uni is out I'll have even more time!

Thanks for the advice, it helps to know when I am doing the right and wrong things

If you can, in a 2 hour padwork session, do 10-20 minutes warming up, a few light rounds to open up the lungs and then 6 rounds of 3 minutes with 1 full minute rest. As time goes on getting closer to the fight, reduce the rounds, and reduce the rest so that you are at 4 rounds of 30-45s (don't just reduce the rounds and then reduce the rest, do a bit of one, then a bit of the other).
The rest of that session should be technical work (including grappling), but the main focus was the hard pad rounds. You should also do LIGHT technical sparring. Just getting the work in. No need to get any silly knocks from this one.
The sparring should have good shinnies and protection to prevent silly injuries (ie cuts that won't have a chance to heal, or bruises for the same reason).

Re sparring your friend. If he has done anything and is 'ok', sure, but just for technical stuff.
Honestly you don't want to 'backyard box' as you'll pick up fucking awful habits and probably male ego (maybe not yours but the other guys) will lead you to injuries.

I realise a lot of the choices are obvious (burpees, heavy bag), but in your experience what are the best ways to combine them?
Something we do at my boxing gym:

1-2-3-4 (jab, cross, left hook, right hook) three times then three burpees. All punches full power. 3x3min rounds of that sucks.

Since your MT you'd obviously want to mix up the combo to include a kick or knee.

Back