Condit says Maia doesn't have a fan friendly style, and plans on making him FIGHT

In a 3 rounder I didn't give Condit much chance, but a 5 rounder plays into his hands massively. I'd probably favour Condit past round 2

I like standup more myself, but as far as grapplers go, Maia is one of the most exciting ones.
He's always attacking, never stalling and looking very good since he went down a weightclass.
I think Carlos has this one, but it's a fight, so who the hell knows

I don't think he needs to "make" Maia fight. Isn't that why Maia is signing the contact in the first place? He had 30-something fights, so it's not like he's never done it before.

I couldn't tell you the last time Maia has been in a fight. Every single time I see him he's doing everything possible to avoid being in a one. He can't 'fight' all he can do is grapple.

I like watching Maia's insane grappling skills but I can see why most people don't. Either way I hate this fight because I love both guys and don't want to see either one lose.

My thoughts exactly

I couldn't tell you the last time Maia has been in a fight. Every single time I see him he's doing everything possible to avoid being in a one. He can't 'fight' all he can do is grapple.
Thats bullshit and you know it. In his last few fights he's choked out Matt Brown, beat Gunnar Nelson senseless, and made Rick Story shoot blood across the cage.
Grappling is the biggest part of fighting. I can appreciate good kickboxing, but if you can't stop the other guy from out grappling you, you aren't even in the fight.

Thats bullshit and you know it. In his last few fights he's choked out Matt Brown, beat Gunnar Nelson senseless, and made Rick Story shoot blood across the cage.
Grappling is the biggest part of fighting. I can appreciate good kickboxing, but if you can't stop the other guy from out grappling you, you aren't even in the fight.

No it's not. He can't fight, he can only grapple. A new born giraffe has better stand up skills.

He took 2.5 rounds with a body lock to get that choke on Matt. Who has plenty of sub losses and was defending with 1 hand rolling his eyes. Then was bitch slapped in the 3rd for refusing to fight.

My DVR shut off early on the Gunner fight. Never saw it, wouldn't Fight Pass a 2 grappler fight either.

Rick Story was 4 years ago. If you consider that then you have to mention him being out grappled by Shields, losing to Rory in a piss poor showing flopping on the ground refusing to stand, and getting a point taken away against LaFlare for guess what... laying on the ground with constant warnings to get up.

And yes Glory is 10xs more exciting than UFC. Already a member of that club

Also said he loves that it's now a 5 rounder, and plans on using his cardio as a weapon.

On the MMAhour.

Cardio as weapon = boring fight nobody wants to watch. Pretty much like all his fights since the Diaz fight. Even the Lawler fight was extremely over rated.

Every Condit fight equals little baby kicks and pillow punching and dancing around. Its straight up boring to watch.

The problem is he can't. He get's taken down all the time.

Exactly. Condit has a good ground game, but I think the best he can do is survive, kind of like Fitch did against Maia. If Condit wants to get really aggressive off his back and go for subs and throw lots of punches and elbows, that may make it a little more exciting but he's more likely to get subbed himself.

Lets see if condit can stop maia from playing piggy back

Not sure he can

No it's not. He can't fight, he can only grapple. A new born giraffe has better stand up skills.

He took 2.5 rounds with a body lock to get that choke on Matt. Who has plenty of sub losses and was defending with 1 hand rolling his eyes. Then was bitch slapped in the 3rd for refusing to fight.

My DVR shut off early on the Gunner fight. Never saw it, wouldn't Fight Pass a 2 grappler fight either.

Rick Story was 4 years ago. If you consider that then you have to mention him being out grappled by Shields, losing to Rory in a piss poor showing flopping on the ground refusing to stand, and getting a point taken away against LaFlare for guess what... laying on the ground with constant warnings to get up.

And yes Glory is 10xs more exciting than UFC. Already a member of that club
I really don't know what to say, would you say Lawler doesn't come to fight because he doesn't attempt to grapple?
A lot of grappling is boring stalling, and I'll give you that that isn't fighting, but what Maia does involves passing guard, using gnp and looking for subs. The Nelson fight was a legit 30-25 too, so you can imagine how that played out.
A multiple time bjj world champ isn't going to stand and bang, it just isn't in his best interest.

Wonder if Condit will show up with TDD?

If not, Maia is going to grind him out and it's going to be ugly. Meaning beautiful.

I really don't know what to say, would you say Lawler doesn't come to fight because he doesn't attempt to grapple?
A lot of grappling is boring stalling, and I'll give you that that isn't fighting, but what Maia does involves passing guard, using gnp and looking for subs. The Nelson fight was a legit 30-25 too, so you can imagine how that played out.
A multiple time bjj world champ isn't going to stand and bang, it just isn't in his best interest.

He won't stand at all, with anyone. It's pathetic to watch.

You don't need to grapple when you can KO anyone with all 8 points. That's a fighter.

Condit: Maia is world class, but 'plays it safe'

Hmmm..... kinda like the Natural Born Killer did against Diaz?

I think Maia struggles to implement his style against versatile strikers like Condit

giphy.gif
I agree. Rory shut him down eventually, Matt Brown had issues because Matt Brown excels in the clinch and Maia's take down game is based in the clinch

this fight being 5 rounds its a huge advantage for Condit. when it was 3 rounds before for 202 I had Maia by decision, but now its 5 rounds it will be so hard to control Condit for 5 rounds.. Condit will probably win

I didn't think Maia had a fun style untill that Gunnar fight. It was only after he murked Gunnar on the ground that I realized how truly special his Jujitsu is.

Back