Condit has 3 losses out of his last 5 and most recently beat #12 ranked Alves

Tell that to Matt Serra. He won a split decision over Chris Lytle to get his title shot having gone 2-3 before that.

Same with Machida vs Bones. Or Vitor and Sonnen vs Bones. What about Brock??

Styles make fights. End of story.

....both of the Hendricks vs Lawler fights were fantastic.

Not disputing your main point in this post, not enough time. But I will say that what you state here is patently false.

Losses were to: Welterweight and arguable all time GOAT GSP (Who he was very close to knocking out)
Johnny Hendricks (former champ)
Tyron woodley (freak injury)

That's how I justify it.

Woodley is more deserving of the title shot than Condit.

Woodley was beaten like a dog by Rory, who Carlos beat, and Robbie beat, twice. There's more to it than simple MMA-Math (ha!), but while an argument can be made for a Woodley v. Lawler scrape, Woodley v. Hendricks is the more compelling true #1 contender matchup AT THIS TIME, and Robbie v Carlos makes for the most compelling title fight AT THIS TIME. To say Carlos does not deserve a title shot considering his career accomplishments (while also taking into account the competition he faced during his more recent W-L record) shows a terrible understanding of this division. I have no problem with UFC brass setting these matchups (although too bad we'll have to wait a bit longer on Confit/Lawler.) Bring 'em on!

Correction: He DESTROYED Alves most violently and excellently.

Certainly not going to say Alves is done or past his prime, and while he's seen better days and looked more competitive in defeat prior to the NBK beating he took, he was indeed beaten by a Top-5 in that weight division.

And to clarify, I would not have argued if Woodley got the title shot against Lawler, nor argued had Carlos the opportunity to square off in a 5-Rd title contendership rematch against Hendricks. The fact that rankings-wise 1-4 goes and 2-3 goes, well, seems as fair as 1-3 v 2-4. Fuck W-L all 4 are still in the mix no matter how you slice it.

You're right, TS, let's watch some more Johnny hand-wrap Hendricks show us all how to cling to a single leg takedown attempt for 25 minutes. Whooooooooo eeeeeeee!!!!

i think lawler could actually wrestle fuck him if he wants, but thats not his style, he will bang it out, Hes much stronger than condit and the reach difference is nothing. 1 inch in each arm..... Lawler is a big ww

You can't really justify it, but the UFC has been doing this for a while now.

It's a joke.

Carlos is super gun shy / slow starter / tentative in the top tier fights...

Not getting hyped for this one.

But obviously will watch with managed expectations.

You're right, TS, let's watch some more Johnny hand-wrap Hendricks show us all how to cling to a single leg takedown attempt for 25 minutes. Whooooooooo eeeeeeee!!!!

I have no idea why but I got a good laugh out of this.

Carlos is super gun shy / slow starter / tentative in the top tier fights...

Not getting hyped for this one.

But obviously will watch with managed expectations.

He wasn't tentative or gun shy against GSP, Woodley, Hendricks or Kampmann?

Slow starter, usually, yes.

He wasn't tentative or gun shy against GSP, Woodley, Hendricks or Kampmann?

Slow starter, usually, yes.

He was super tentative against GSP for the first 2.5 rounds - he even admits that.

He was a target practice and a wrestling doll for the first 2 rounds of Hendricks.

He was on avoidence and spar mode vs Diaz.

In his fights where a title is on the line OR next title shot Carlos isn't the same fighter - he's more gun shy and hesitant as well starts slow.

He's a beast but the biggest fights changes him a bit.

Still an awesome fighter

Styles make fights.. Do you really need every info on a silver plate, TS ?

Sherdog has a huge hard-on for Condit. They make him out to be better than he actually is. It's always entertaining when they claim that "he wins in a 5 rounder" as well because he's only truly elite in their little fantasies.

When was the last time Condit beat an elite opponent again? Ah... that's right.

It's like how people complain about hot girls liking ugly guys until you're the ugly guy that the hot girl likes then it's ok. I'm a Condit fan and he doesn't deserve a title shot, but I'd watch the shit out of that fight so I don't care so much.

Back