Concussions in BJJ

nyne

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I went to see my doctor today and it turns out I've got a mild concussion. They gave me a CT scan and the results apparently weren't *too bad*. Basically, I caught an accidental elbow to the temple on Saturday and since then just about everything is causing sharp pains in the top / front of my head. (Just a quick "dont do that" type of pain just about any time I fall, jump, take a hard step, shake my head or do anything that constitutes impact to my upper body or head).

I am not sure if this is the forum for this sort of thing since it isn't quite technique related but I was wondering if anyone could comment on how long I should "take it easy". I'm 25, 6'1 and I'm walking around at 170lbs. Between weights, cardio, bjj and boxing I am in the gym 6 days a week usually for at least 3 hours per day. (I train at lunch and again after work). Is there anything I *can* do for exercise while recovering? Does anyone have an idea roughly how long you are usually out of BJJ for when you've got a concussion?

ummm...what did the doctor say?

PS. ignore what he says and listen to sherdog

ummm...what did the doctor say?

PS. ignore what he says and listen to sherdog

haha, that's the plan.

She said to take it easy and follow up with my primary doctor on Friday but didn't have any idea what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was. She gave me the basic "if it hurts don't do it". I wasn't looking for medical advice but I was wondering what other members' experiences were in relation to mine.

I rode the stationary cycle for about 40 mins, did abs and legs today. I went to AKA and just sat and watched the class for about an hour. I figure I'll start training technique again by friday/saturday. I'm feeling a bit better today. I'm so used to working out for 3-4 hours a day minimum 6 days a week so doing "nothing" is difficult..

Hope you feel better soon man. On a related note, I experienced the effects of a good choke for the first time today. My partner got me in a good collar choke and before I knew it, my head felt like it was gonna explode. I tapped and right afterwards, the world nearly faded away for a second and I was dazed. Should've tapped earlier. :icon_chee

Back