Social Concrete Slab

xHeadx

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So SNOVID ruined my bush that hides the trashcan & recycle bins. The HOA has been on my ass because the bins cannot be seen from the street (dumb, I know). With the following design, what is best way to attach the three 4x4s to the concrete slab? I know wood (beep!) but not concrete so much. I see there are bases you can place in the wet concrete & others where you can drill into the concrete. Most online are rated to have a top but this will not. Is it best to insert the bases into wet concrete or use bases where I need to drill after the concrete dries?

Trash Bin Screen.png
Trash Bin Screen (1).png

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...Base-for-4x4-Nominal-Lumber-PBS44AZ/100374846
or
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-Base-for-4x4-Nominal-Lumber-ABA44Z/100374999

mostly ive seen guys use nails but its a special kind that drives right into the slab.

so you would use treated 2x4 and then build on that.

Wedge anchors. Drill out a hole big enough for the anchors in the concrete drill a hole slighly bigger in the 4x4. Put a washer on the anchor, double nut the anchors before you drive it into the concrete slab. Put your lumber on slab drive anchor with with a hammer the doulbe nut will proct the anchir threads while you down through woid and concrete. Take off top nut. Drive second nut down untill it is tight with socket. As you tighten the anchor it will expand in the hole securing it.

images

wedge-anchor-installation-chart.jpg

Last edited:
If you are pouring new concrete just put thread in the concrete where you want to secure you boards to it. Or Dig holes 1/4 of the heigh of your post and then pour concrete.

Wedge anchors. Drill out a hole big enough for the anchors in the concrete drill a hole slighly bigger in the 4x4. Put a washer on the anchor, double nut the anchors before you drive it into the concrete slab. Put your lumber on slab drive anchor with with a hammer the doulbe nut will proct the anchir threads while you down through woid and concrete. Take off top nut. Drive second nut down untill it is tight with socket. As you tighten the anchor it will expand in the hole securing it.

images

wedge-anchor-installation-chart.jpg

Thank you. Pretty sure the one you have to drill will take a 1/2" bolt. I'll give the concrete a week before I start the drilling. Plan to make a slab 4" deep. I've used concrete before but not for small fence.

<JackieThumbsUp>

Thank you. Pretty sure the one you have to drill will take a 1/2" bolt. I'll give the concrete a week before I start the drilling. Plan to make a slab 4" deep. I've used concrete before but not for small fence.

<JackieThumbsUp>
I wasnt thinking of a new concrete pour, add in another post.

Wedge anchors if after concrete dries, or embed J bolts into the concrete when wet.

So SNOVID ruined my bush that hides the trashcan & recycle bins. The HOA has been on my ass because the bins cannot be seen from the street (dumb, I know). With the following design, what is best way to attach the three 4x4s to the concrete slab? I know wood (beep!) but not concrete so much. I see there are bases you can place in the wet concrete & others where you can drill into the concrete. Most online are rated to have a top but this will not. Is it best to insert the bases into wet concrete or use bases where I need to drill after the concrete dries?

View attachment 950572
View attachment 950573

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...Base-for-4x4-Nominal-Lumber-PBS44AZ/100374846
or
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-Base-for-4x4-Nominal-Lumber-ABA44Z/100374999
Where do you live that you had snovid?

Just get some fake bushes and put them in front of the bins. Seems easier than building a garage for your trash cans.

Honestly, I wouldn't even pour a slab.

Dig three post holes, get a couple bags of concrete, and put up two sections of nice wood fence.

<JackieThumbsUp>
Can you dig the timbers into the ground? If so concrete them in the ground then you have your corners set, then all you need is form up between your posts.

Just get some fake bushes and put them in front of the bins. Seems easier than building a garage for your trash cans.

I thought about it but we have over 500 homes here. The garage is advertising too. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't even pour a slab.

Dig three post holes, get a couple bags of concrete, and put up two sections of nice wood fence.

Thought about it too but was going fancy. I've replaced regular fencing before.

Can you dig the timbers into the ground? If so concrete them in the ground then you have your corners set, then all you need is form up between your posts.

There shouldn't be any pipes on the side of house but you never know unless you call. Definitely cheaper than the slab but this will give an opportunity to work with the concrete.

I thought about it but we have over 500 homes here. The garage is advertising too. ;)

Thought about it too but was going fancy. I've replaced regular fencing before.

There shouldn't be any pipes on the side of house but you never know unless you call. Definitely cheaper than the slab but this will give an opportunity to work with the concrete.
Still pour the concrete, just form up between the post with timber and that gives you the area for your slab. Throw some mesh in, pour concrete, wait until it dries and then strip the form board off

These are the only slabs I know about, maybe just get one of these to hide your trash cans, see how your fancy pants HOA feels about that

maxresdefault.jpg

Back