Concerned with KOFG for sparring gloves

NoLimits1987

White Belt
Reaction score
I just recently purchased the 16oz KO fight gear gloves in hopes that they would be at least somewhat padded, although I was warned that they could be on the hard side. Boy were they right, these gloves are pretty solid and I just wanted to know if any of you had experience being on the receiving end of these during sparring session and how they felt to you? I don't want to piss any of my sparring partners off as I am new to the gym. Worst comes to worst I could use these for bag work and pick up some more padded gloves for sparring (suggestions? under 50 bucks if possible).

Thanks for the input

I just recently purchased the 16oz KO fight gear gloves in hopes that they would be at least somewhat padded, although I was warned that they could be on the hard side. Boy were they right, these gloves are pretty solid and I just wanted to know if any of you had experience being on the receiving end of these during sparring session and how they felt to you? I don't want to piss any of my sparring partners off as I am new to the gym. Worst comes to worst I could use these for bag work and pick up some more padded gloves for sparring (suggestions? under 50 bucks if possible).

Thanks for the input

Wow, that is the first time that I have personally heard that concern voiced. I have the KOFG 16oz. Sparring Gloves, and if I were to describe mine I would have to say they are the overall size and style of a Fairtex BGV1, with a padding density consistent with that of a Twins BGVL-3, which is about right for a sparring glove. The KOFG Shin Pads are definitely on the densely padded side, but not the gloves that I have from them. When you say hard, are you referring to padding density, ie. firmness?

:icon_chee

I suggest watching your power shots until the gloves break in, then they aren't a big deal. Nobody ever complained about my KOFG's.

This gets mentioned in almost every thread about these gloves. The general consensus is they are more suited for bag and pad work. But plenty of guys still use them for sparring. I wouldn't worry about it if you're using headgear, if not then consult your training partner.

I recently bought the KO Fightgears. GREAT quality, easy access, but I really do think they're more of a bag glove.

I purchased two sets of Ringside IMF Sparring gloves just for sparring in my home gym. I like my first pair so much that I couldn't pass on the $40 deal.
Limited Edition IMF Tech Training Gloves - Hook & Loop-www.Ringside.com
Type in NSF01 for free shipping.

By having two different pairs of gloves--one dedicated to the bag (your KOFG's) and one dedicated to sparring (Rindsides) you'll not only ensure equipment longevity, but you'll save your wrists.

Here's my review of the Ringsides:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/review-ringside-limited-edition-imf-tech-training-gloves-1240425/

Maybe I got the exception with mine. Mine are almost identical in padding consistency with a Twins BGVL-3. Not bag glove density padding by any means.

Maybe I got the exception with mine. Mine are almost identical in padding consistency with a Twins BGVL-3. Not bag glove density padding by any means.

I've read the less dense the better it is for bag work. I'm so used to sparring with the IMF's and Everlast's thick knuckle padding that the KOFG's seemed like a great bag-work choice. But maybe I have it all backwards?!

I've read the less dense the better it is for bag work. I'm so used to sparring with the IMF's and Everlast's thick knuckle padding that the KOFG's seemed like a great bag-work choice. But maybe I have it all backwards?!

Dedicated superbag gloves generally have a denser or firmer padding, because they are intended to provide maximum protection for the user's hands for heavy pounding on bags. The bag obviously does not really care. Where sparring gloves have ample padding that is designed to protect both the user's hands, and the sparring partner's head and body. That is why sparring gloves are a softer padding.

That is why people don't want to spar with someone who is wearing bag gloves, and sparring gloves that are used for bag work won't hold up or last very long. If it clarifies anything the thickness or the amount of padding does not refer to its density composition.

Just picked up the ringside IMF tech's for 40 bucks! thanks for the link. For those of you who are interested in the free shipping the code is "NSF1" not "NSF01" as posted above.

Just picked up the ringside IMF tech's for 40 bucks! thanks for the link. For those of you who are interested in the free shipping the code is "NSF1" not "NSF01" as posted above.

Let me know whwat you think of them. hate to recommend a product that you'd not like.

Back