• Kilborn

• Space Ghost

• Cavett

• Magic

• Rosie

• Daly

Results are only viewable after voting.
Scott aukerman Conan was out of line taking shots at his transitions :mad:

I absolutely love Conan and love he was a writer for the Simpsons too, but Carson is the GOAT and it's not close. How did Carson have so few votes?
Millennials. Althought I did vote for Ferguson. Still love Conan.

Dick Cavett
Amazing that the guests he had before are mostly legends now.

QykPwH-EhGc

Conan and Dave were my favorites as well. While Conan continued to do well for himself on TBS, I always a bit bummed out at how things went down for him at NBC. I do feel he got the short end of the stick and it struck me as unfair. If there was any obvious heir apparent to the Tonight Show at the time it was him.

Dave was great- in the 80s, great in the 90s and continued to to deliver into the 2000s. Legendary career. Strong signature segments and really funny reactions and interviews.

Craig Ferguson is still my favorite. He had a different approach to interviews and it wasn't the same boring celebrity promoting their current project.

Easily one of the best and thoroughly under appreciated. I put him at number 3.

Ferguson with Josh Robert Thompson or Geoff the Skelton is amazing.

I also loved Craig's energy with guests the best compared to anyone else as well, even Johnny.

There are two kinds of people who are going to vote ITT. Those who vote Johnny, and those who are too young to have watched him.

I watched a ton of Johnny, you just probably couldn't make it to Ferguson. ;)

Also Carson is obviously in a class of his own. Only reason I don’t personally have him in my rankings is cause he retired when I was a kid and I haven’t seen all that much of his stuff.

But even from what I have seen, I can tell he was absolutely perfect for the role. And there’s a reason a guy as talented as Dave idolized him.

Cavett’s show was epic. To me it’s like a precursor to podcasts in that he would speak on interesting, nuanced issues in a longer format than your typical celebrity interview.

He didn’t have the same degree of humor as these other guys but that was sort by design.
There really hasn't been anything else like it , it's interesting to go back and watch some of those old interviews

This may be a good thing. Conan is at his best with comedy skits and ad-libbing in a different country. Those awkward interviews with guests promoting a movie are so dated now. HBO will also give him enough slack that he can make his comedy dirty again.

-Conan is my favorite just for Late Night alone. I grew up on absurdist comedy though, I was watching The Kids in the Hall when I was still in elementary school.
-Space Ghost next up, for many of the same reasons, the same with The Eric Andre show, but I enjoy Conan and Space Ghost more.
-Letterman's stuff from the 80's to mid 90's was great, that show was the grandfather of absurdist comedy in a talk show format. Once they started culling bits like the Rupert Gee on the street segments and did less real sketches the show lost a lot of its' flavor, then Dave got bitter for a while before coming back at the end of his run.
-Ferguson was a grade A interviewer, never really cared about the monologue or sketches,always watched for the interviews.
-Johnny's show from what I remember and of course clips over the years that I've seen was always a laid back experience, especially in the mid 60's to 70's, I really like that aspect. I can't really comment on Allen or Parr.
-Dick Cavett and Tom Snyder were a different type of talk show, it'd be like saying Jerry Springer or Geraldo were talk shows (though they were something completely different themselves).
-Arsenio was cool for a while, he had interviews with Jason Voorhees and The Macho Man for God's sake! His comeback only hurt his legacy. He was fun to catch every so often when I was a kid.
-Kilborn, I always liked his Daily Show the best and his talk show was fun as well, though not as fun as his Daily Show run.
-I never really watched Later, so I cannot comment on it. I remember there was another one that came on late night on Fridays on NBC hosted by the wife of some studio exec that had a lot of bad sketches.
-Carson Daily, he seemed to care more about putting on bands than actually hosting a talk show, I think that's what his show turned into in a forum for putting on bands. I have not seen anything from the Youtube girl that took over for him.
- Never caught many of the short lived shows like Chevy Chase's, I did watch some of Dennis Miller's show and it was fine, but his HBO show was where he truly shined.
-Stewart wasn't a talk show host, he was a comedic news anchor who did one brief interview a show.
-Colbert on the Colbert Show was the same as Stewart on The Daily Show; as a Letterman replacement he stinks, the man used to be funny too which is all the sadder. I don't watch the show, can only go by the clips I've seen.
-Kimmel was fine before, the last 5 or so he's not even a shadow of his former self. I haven't watched in years, can only go by the clips I've seen.
-Fallon is just not my thing. Good energy, but comes across too fake.
-Leno I never really cared for when he was on aside from his man on the street bits, but seeing what we have now, his show is actually a bit nostalgic, not really political, classier and family friendly; I mean I still wouldn't watch it, I'd just feel better knowing it was on.
-Seth Meyers, just not my thing, seems better than Colbert and Fallon, but that's about it. I don't watch the show, can only go by the clips I've seen.
-Cordon, seems aimed more towards women aged 18-36 than anything else, not my thing. I don't watch the show, can only go by the clips I've seen.

I hope they can get to use the skits NBC disallowed them to uses like In The Year 2/3000 and Celebrity Survey.

Carson will always be the golden standard, I thought Leno and Letterman had their funny moments... But being an almost 40 y\o man, Conan felt like he was my guy. I wish him the best with whatever he does in the future.

Back