Computers and grappling

Mcmoon

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a lot of people involved in technology as a career gravitate towards grappling or have I just had an odd experience?

I work in IT compliance, my current judo coach works in IT security I believe and John Carmack (creator of Doom and brown belt in judo) showed up to class today.

It's a geeky sport where knowledge is more important than physical prowess.

yeah. Being sweet at boxing without being fit for boxing is fucking dangerous.

Being sweet at BJJ without being fit for BJJ makes you feel good about yourself - cause it works so good.

It's a geeky sport where knowledge is more important than physical prowess.
yeah. Being sweet at boxing without being fit for boxing is fucking dangerous.

Being sweet at BJJ without being fit for BJJ makes you feel good about yourself - cause it works so good.
Unless you fight in the adult nogi division where if you are not fit you get your shit pushed in.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of people involved in technology as a career gravitate towards grappling or have I just had an odd experience?

I work in IT compliance, my current judo coach works in IT security I believe and John Carmack (creator of Doom and brown belt in judo) showed up to class today.
It depends on the person, this topic was brought up a few years back. Folks who enjoy puzzles and solving problems find a liking to BJJ more than striking.

I work in IT as well, but I enjoy stand up grappling/wrestling + striking more than BJJ.

Unless you fight in the adult nogi division where if you are not fit you get your shit pushed in.

From the people I've seen, it worked the other way around, they were geeks, not very fit guys and while progressing they started to cross train to get fitter and they have nothing to get ashamed when they do no gi.

But we can still talk about Lord of the Rings stuff

You can get away with being weak a lot more in no gi if you are skilled.

Yeah I tend to agree somewhat - as a guy with a strength background I find gi to be much easier and more natural. I can clamp onto something and use it to my advantage for a long period of time.

However athleticism does seem to be a bigger benefit in no-gi. I am a bit of an older trainee now and find it harder to slow down and hold onto the young/fast guys in no-gi than I do in gi.

Last edited:
Lol, you're right actually; especially my judo club. I train with IT technicians.. mathematicians, anatomy lecturers, math teachers etc.

I also think people have a certain amount of masculine energy they have to indulge in to be mentally healthy. If you work with your hands or do some kind of manual labor, you are more likely to need to chill when you're done working. If you were in mentally taxing, physically easy job, you still have the same drive to struggle as any other human but no natural outlet for it, so you make one.

I also think people have a certain amount of masculine energy they have to indulge in to be mentally healthy. If you work with your hands or do some kind of manual labor, you are more likely to need to chill when you're done working. If you were in mentally taxing, physically easy job, you still have the same drive to struggle as any other human but no natural outlet for it, so you make one.

That makes sense.

Pretty much. Training was the only thing that got me through exam prep or long office days.

On the flip side, the local chess club had a bunch of factory workers and cooks.

You might consider that there are just a lot of engineers in your area? That said, I think there is some truth to it. A lot of engineer types do not like working out for the sake of working out. So martial arts is something that they can work their brains at the same time.

I heard places like Google actually have a mat area and BJJ classes on site, even if it's an informal club. Free food and BJJ ... sign me up! Is Carmack hiring? :)

As someone who's done both types of jobs, this is absolutely true

I agree with @SummerStriker 100%. On that note, I think that same concept is the reason that women become some of the most dedicated students; there aren't many places that encourage women to sav out and put it all on the line.

Regarding the IT thing: while there is a construction boom, and there are still some roughneck and factory jobs, most of our economy is service, science, or tech-related, especially in the more built-up areas that contain the bulk of academies. Also, BJJ can be on the expensive side, and the amount of disposable income you have will play a part in the hobbies you take up.

You might consider that there are just a lot of engineers in your area? That said, I think there is some truth to it. A lot of engineer types do not like working out for the sake of working out. So martial arts is something that they can work their brains at the same time.

I heard places like Google actually have a mat area and BJJ classes on site, even if it's an informal club. Free food and BJJ ... sign me up! Is Carmack hiring? :)

Sounds like I need to work for Google. I did apply one time but never heard anything. It was a long shot anyway.

Carmack works for Facebook right now I believe and I don't think he is part of Id anymore. They are going through a big lawsuit or were when Id was bought by zenimax.

In my club some of the best guys are IT professionals including myself. I think we just like problem solving and in grappling it is all about breaking down problems. If your a programmer you take a large problems and break it down chunk by chunk.

Jiu jitsu is the same way, when passing guarding you get your grips, strengthen your base and make your move. Sometimes a pass will require several steps almost like a algorithm. If A does not work go to B if B works continue to next step if that fails adjust.

I find IT guys tap just the same as construction guys or police officers.
If you look at the world around you there is a percentage that are police officers, IT professionals, construction workers etc and it probably matches your school the same. IT used to be a unique thing. Now that there are IT schools like MC IT University there are a lot of IT people in the US

As someone who's done both types of jobs, this is absolutely true

Guys who do manual labor develop the most unreal old man strength. I'm glad they're all busy playing chess in their free time, and leaving me and my fellow IT pencil-necks to battle it out amongst each other

Back