Computer hardware help?

uncommon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not sure if i should post in the video game section or not but here it goes,

I need a case fan for my gaming rig, its lacking one. I would like a 120mm fan but they only have the molex 4 pin connectors (that i can find) and the only thing coming out of my power supply is a couple of p4mb lines, 6 pins (same style as the p4mb) some sata stuff but no molex.

And to top it off there is no available slot on the motherboard as the current slots are filled, and the (supposed) 2 empty ones are missing the receptacle that receives the fan cord on the motherboard. (Says system fan, but nothing is there)

So, what are my options? Converters, ghetto rig, something?

Any feedback appreciated. thanks

You have many options, but one I used was to get a fan that fit into a free pci slot. Just a few bucks. I would add that I have never had a desktop run cooler than by just taking the side panel off the case and blowing towards it with a desk fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
35-200-019-S01

I'm not sure if i should post in the video game section or not but here it goes,

I need a case fan for my gaming rig, its lacking one. I would like a 120mm fan but they only have the molex 4 pin connectors (that i can find) and the only thing coming out of my power supply is a couple of p4mb lines, 6 pins (same style as the p4mb) some sata stuff but no molex.

And to top it off there is no available slot on the motherboard as the current slots are filled, and the (supposed) 2 empty ones are missing the receptacle that receives the fan cord on the motherboard. (Says system fan, but nothing is there)

So, what are my options? Converters, ghetto rig, something?

Any feedback appreciated. thanks

Hey i appreciate the feedback, but the problem with that fan you posted is that it is powered by a 4pin molex, which it the main problem i am facing in order to cool my system. Any further feedback appreciated.

I think they sell adapters or you could figure out which wires are the power on the fan and make your own.

If you look on ebay or any big site like newegg, tiger direct, etc..there are a million cheap adapters that could for example, change one of your free sata ends from your power supply to 4 pin molex such as this - http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJL7-ZehlrQCFQ2znQodNXkAhA

76421.jpg

Was curious, do you have even one working case fan as it stands now, and is the system overheating?

I have also done what the previous poster said and rigged wires to a fan from my power supply, but I'm not sure I would risk a high end power supply for that. Easier with the adapters.

BTW TS, before buying a fan might I make a fan recommendation?

I'd go for either a Corsair AF 120:

4866_15_corsair_air_series_af_and_sp_cooling_fans_review_full.jpg

or a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm

ventilyator_dlya_korpusa_120mm_scythe_gentle_typhoon_1450_rpm_d1225c12b4ap-14.jpg

The brand of fan IS important. Buying any fan just won't cut it. Bad airflow, loud noise, etc. These two are best when it comes to great airflow and being dead silent.

Hmm that looks promising that sata converter nice. Right now i have a liquid cooled cpu, gpu fan cpu fan some other fans... but no actual case fan... GPU likes to stay around 70 celcius when 1080p high settings. Right now i have to open case and use a room fan when things get bad, but ill probably get the sata converter and a case fan molex 4 pin thanks guys.

Edit, ill look into those brands as well

Edit: Is the sata converter too powerful or too weak for a case fan? Or will it not matter as the converters guage will limit what the psu sends through. I have a feeling that this fan is going to explode if i power it through sata... or it wont spin fast... something just doesn't feel right

Last edited:
You should purchase PWM fans that plug directly into the motherboard.

If you read your mobo manual, you will see where they have the power leads.

I recommend Yate Loons if your on a budget, or Noctua/Gentle Typhoons if you want to spend a little bit more.

P.S: Just noticed that your mobo only has two power headers.

Most fans will come with a converter that will allow you to split the power across two devices.

I recommend Yate Loons if your on a budget, or Noctua/Gentle Typhoons if you want to spend a little bit more.

Most fans will come with a converter that will allow you to split the power across two devices.

Noctua is the shit! Really don't like the colors, but you literally won't hear them even at the highest fan speed.

Yeah i cant put the fan into the mobo because the receptacles are either missing or used up. there is no free slot available.

However, i do have a 80mm case fan from a scrap computer of mine that is 12v dc .68A with red white and black wires.. Is there any way i can get creative with this as to save money? I have no problem ruining this fan, just dont want to ruin my computer. This fan has a connector that goes to a dell mobo and will not fit in even if i had an available slot.
Thanks for all the feedback, i'm insinuating hard wiring this spare fan if someone has a simple solution.

Yeah i cant put the fan into the mobo because the receptacles are either missing or used up. there is no free slot available.

However, i do have a 80mm case fan from a scrap computer of mine that is 12v dc .68A with red white and black wires.. Is there any way i can get creative with this as to save money? I have no problem ruining this fan, just dont want to ruin my computer. This fan has a connector that goes to a dell mobo and will not fit in even if i had an available slot.
Thanks for all the feedback, i'm insinuating hard wiring this spare fan if someone has a simple solution.
How did you get on

Can't believe we never got an update

In...in a meeting ATM but will check back to help if not solved by then.

A thread in Mayberry that doesn’t discuss movies, relationships, or penises. I’m shocked!

b4CrN_fj_400x400.jpg

Hey guys! I appreciate the help. Honestly that computer is buried in storage at my parent basement at the moment. I havent used it in probably 6 years.

I currently just use my phone i don't really use a desktop. I recently purchased an ASUS ROG Laptop g17 but dont even really use that either lol. So i think im good on the desktop situation.

But next time i stop by my parents maybe ill go find the old metal tower and see what the hell i was talking about because i pretty much have no clue what a 4 pin molex is anymore.

Back