Comps and training.

Doctor Gonzo

Belfort's TRT-inspired mohawk.
@Green
Reaction score
I dropped from training twice a day 5 days a week to once a day 5 days a week mainly due to worrying about burning out before a comp coming up in November, people are telling me I should go back to training twice a day but I was starting to see that I wasn't being efficient in my second training session, mainly due to changing my diet, cutting weight, training harder and running and all that stuff.

I'm kind of torn between what I should do, I feel that training twice a day is good for learning but I cannot be 100% for my second lesson which makes me feel like I didn't train well enough, but training once a day I still learn, but I can go 100% and give it that little bit more, this is my first big comp and I'm kind of panicking because people are giving me the impression if you dont train enough you will lose.

What would you do in my shoes?

If it feels like once a day is working for you, I'd say you're doing the right thing. If the second session feels like a chore, don't do it. As long as you're staying in decent shape and you're getting a good feeling from the progress you're making in the one session a day, then that's the answer. You'll probably feel less burned out, mentally and physically, by the time the competition comes around.

it never felt like a chore, it gets to me when I feel I didn't put in a good training session

It's important how you feel. The mental burn-out is just as bad as a physical burn-out. many people have actually hampered their performance on comps due to overstraining.

It's better to have efficient training sessions than go to each practice feeling like a sack of potatoes.

If you feel OK then go full blast till 2 weeks before comp. then ease off

I dropped from training twice a day 5 days a week to once a day 5 days a week mainly due to worrying about burning out before a comp coming up in November, people are telling me I should go back to training twice a day but I was starting to see that I wasn't being efficient in my second training session, mainly due to changing my diet, cutting weight, training harder and running and all that stuff.

I'm kind of torn between what I should do, I feel that training twice a day is good for learning but I cannot be 100% for my second lesson which makes me feel like I didn't train well enough, but training once a day I still learn, but I can go 100% and give it that little bit more, this is my first big comp and I'm kind of panicking because people are giving me the impression if you dont train enough you will lose.

What would you do in my shoes?[/QUOTE]

Take up golf.

j/k. without knowing your skill level, time to tourney and other variables i would say just make sure you are having fun. Hard training, weight cutting, and all that stuff can ware you down. Speak with your trainers specifically and see what they think.

Motherfuck man... what is the deal. How many people on this forum actually have jobs? I mean, two classes 5 days/week. WTF man!

WHY DID I NOT START TRAINING IN COLLEGE!?!?!?!

once a day is good enough...your body needs time to rest and repair itself. If you go too much, you're going to get injured eventually....

Motherfuck man... what is the deal. How many people on this forum actually have jobs? I mean, two classes 5 days/week. WTF man!

I work at the place I train at, between classes. :icon_chee

Hey bro, I feel your frustration too...

I think you should maybe do a 2 a day one or twice a week. Limit it and spend the rest of the days either working out or relaxing

An extra workout or drilling session isn't a bad thing, unless you feel like you're dragging your feet through both. Lots of water, good food, and enough sleep is the recipe for proper recovery.

Relax, I'm sure you make a lot more money than he does.

Do what your body tells you. I would train twice a day if time permitted up til closer to the tournament. I only need 1 week of light rolls before a tournament personally. I can go pretty hard up until then.

I'd cut down to training once a day and swap the other session for a conditioning workout.

I'd cut down to training once a day and swap the other session for a conditioning workout.

Beat me to it.

Do something else, swim one day, lift, run, hike etc...

how do people like the mendes brothers do 3 classes a day?? ive heard of others doing the same plus other workouts outside of jiu jitsu...seems crazy

do twice a day till 1 week b4 the match then do once a day. that way you will get in more training, and for you match you won't be totally tired.

It's not hard to work out that much but you need to be smart in how you structure your workouts and be sure to build up SLOWLY.

Important things:

1. Recovery days.
You need days where you do not let yourself train hard and the focus is to be on drilling/light rolling.

2. Rest Day(s)
If you are working out twice a day mon-fri then it may not be a bad idea to either take one or two full days off to let your body recover.

3. Icing
Icing any sore spots on your joints will help you feel better throughout the week and possibly stave off any chronic injuries like tendinitis. Taking a heavy dose of Ibuprofin 1-2 times a week can't hurt either.

4. Strength and Conditioning
It is important to mix in weights so you can build up muscles that you dont tend to use in Jiu Jitsu to help create overall muscle balance. If you compete then doing some tough cardio/circuit training is paramount.

5. Dedication and consistency
You have to set goals, be realistic about the work it will take to accomplish those goals, and be consistent in your drive to succeed. Talk to the medalists at any of the big IBJJF tournies and I think you will find they are putting close to 20+ hours/week into jiu jitsu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back