Complicated Shin Splint Situation

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BrokenNose, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

Ok, it's not that complicated. And sorry for another shin splint thread.

All the shin splint threads here tell everyone to run on softer surfaces, buy better shoes, and stretch/work the muscles in the front of the shin.

-I stretch. Both the front and back, upper and lower calf. I ice and massage them too.

-I don't even run. I can't with these shin splints. The most I do that involves my shins is jump roping on the rubber puzzle piece mats, and possibly dancing around in the ring. Hell, if I go more than 3 times to the gym, the splints get unbearable.

-I've got very good running shoes. They are absolutely comfortable.

-The shin splints are on the side of the shin.

-I have rested for good amounts of time. The splints go away, but when I start again, the splints come right back. Right now I'm even taking it easier (3 days a week) so the splints don't get horrendous; I've stayed at this pace for about a month.

-This has been happening for many months.​

I will go see a doctor about it, but I'd like to hear experiences from other people. Anyone ever have it like this? What happened?

2. Kinglee

Kinglee -_____-

best thing to do is to go to a doctor as you said, but in my personal experience i have only had them when i got back into running for a while, effective stretching pretty much fixed it for me, make sure you stretch last thing at night & in the morning, even if you arent running

sorry if im captain obvious...this is just what worked for me though

3. milano

milano I am the Walrus

How much is "good amounts of time"?

4. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

Usually a week. By then I feel no splint-like pain whatsoever.

A couple times I went 2-3 weeks, from vacation. The pain goes away, but then it comes right back whenever I start training.

5. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

Stretch, and get your shoes checked. When you get shoes go to a reputable shoe store with staff that knows something about shoes. They can size you up with a running shoe based on the type of foot and stride that you have. Make sure that you stretch too, can't say that enough.

6. davis_s

davis_s Orange Belt

I can run forever, in boot camp running 10k and shit in the spring no problems. Still run a bit. But come to skipping rope I get shin splints like you if I jump to high. Come off the ground as little as possible, no need to turn skipping rope into jumping rope know what I mean? The impact will fuck your shins up. Just my two cents.

7. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

which "side" are the splints, on the inside or outside?

And have you looked into shin strenghtening. It looks like you are doing none of it try the following;

- Walk as long and as far as you can on your heels, pulling your toes up in the air. Do sets of max distance/time
    - Put the edge of a 25 lb plate on your toes, the back of hte plate preferably propped agaisnt somethign so it doesnt slide, and lift the weight for reps by tilting the front of your foot up in the air, keeping your heel down. If weight to heavy, go lighter.
    - Strengthening the "window wiper" motions of your foot (dont knwo the technical term or exact muscles targeted). Take a PT band, start with yellow, attach it to 1 end on teh ground, slip your foot in the other, pull your foot so the band is stretched, plant your heel down, and "wipe" your foot on the ground in an outward motion, then switch around to do the inward motion.

Sorry if this makes no sense but ask if you dont get it. I think you really need to strengthen these muscles, not just stretch them. Maybe take 2 months off traning, first month only strengthen and stretch these muscles. Second month incorporate some light running, and also investigate toe/midfoot-to-heel running, this is what solved my shin splint problem, but it looks liek you dont run. Also if you have really bad shin splints I heard they could be stress fractures, but I dont know if that is true or not, short of getting an XRay I would work on strengthening.

8. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

If it's your peroneals that are hurting, it could be a matter of biomechanics and having someone do a proper gait analysis. You could have some seriously tight hips/IT bands that cause rigidity in the downward chain to the knees, and onto the ankles.

9. El Beebo

El Beebo Blue Belt

This seems to me like maybe you're not easing into your program enough. I know it feels like you're barely doing anything when you first start again, but if you really want to get rid of shin splints permanently, you need to ease back in SLOWLY. With that said, you may also have small stress fractures that don't bother you at rest but hurt with any activity at all. In that case, you're going to need a lot more time off (like over 6 weeks).

I've found walking helpful when rehabbing shin splints. It's low-impact enough to not bother your shin splints, but it also helps to strengthen the right muscles and keep blood flowing to those areas.

Another thing that I find helpful is compression: tightly wrap an ace bandage around your shin and then wrap some tape around that to hold it in place. Don't cut off the circulation, of course. Wear it while jumping rope, while sleeping, pretty much all the time, if you can.

Also don't forget to ice, use anti-inflammatories, self massage at the pain site.

Good luck, shin splints really, really suck.

10. Richmond_Hrvat

Richmond_Hrvat Seauxthern Dead

1. Strengthen Tibialis Anterior.
    2. Find someone to assess if you supinate or pronate.
    3. Squat barefoot.
    4. Begin to run barefoot on occasion.
    5. Foam roll the entire outside structure of your leg.
    6. Stretch

Shoes can help but also are part of the problem. You need to fix how your foot is contacting the ground and strengthen your lower leg, period. If you over pronate then your muscle is correcting foot position when it should be recovering.