Complete newbie wanting to learn how to fight, where do I start?

Mystic Mac Miller

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Not looking to go pro or even amateur as I am too old for that (recently turned 30). Never been in a fight my whole life outside of middle school and when I was a kid. I just want to able to learn how to hold my own in a fight against most people out there if it really does get to that point.

Was thinking of starting with BJJ and doing that for six months before I join a kickboxing gym. Does anyone have a better gameplan to offer me?

Reactions: Gio
Buy some Tap Out clothing it gives u +5 fighting.
or
Simply decide which martial art you like the most and take some classes. (My recommendation would be Muay Thai...)

Go to an MMA gym. Not bjj, not boxing, not kickboxing. Go to a gym where you learn how to do everything from the first day you walk in there.
About a year into training, you'll know the vast majority of the techniques and how to apply them correctly. From then on it's mostly just improving upon what you already know and polishing everything up.

Go to an MMA gym. Not bjj, not boxing, not kickboxing. Go to a gym where you learn how to do everything from the first day you walk in there.
About a year into training, you'll know the vast majority of the techniques and how to apply them correctly. From then on it's mostly just improving upon what you already know and polishing everything up.

So as a total newbie, consider an MMA gym?

Join a gym that offers BJJ and a striking art. One that doesn't cater strictly to fighters. Just keep showing up, and the rest will take care of itself.

BJJ comps and amateur kickboxing or muay thai bouts are fairly safe; give it a shot and learn something about yourself.

Join a gym that offers BJJ and a striking art. One that doesn't cater strictly to fighters. Just keep showing up, and the rest will take care of itself.

BJJ comps and amateur kickboxing or muay thai bouts are fairly safe; give it a shot and learn something about yourself.
Yeah, 30 is not too old to start competing as an amateur. Even Ammy MMA isn't that bad or, with a few exceptions, really even medium level. about 2-3 years of training to fight Ammy.

If he can't find a gym that does both, I would say his plan of doing grappling then kickboxing a few months later is good. Really the only bad plan is going to a Mcdojo or Bullshido gym.

Agreed with the people here. MMA gyms that have both striking and grappling classes as well as dedicated MMA class would be ideal. If you can also find fighters that fight out of the gym that is generally a good sign too (assuming the fighters are generally doing well at the very least in the region).

And as others said, 30 is not too old to think about competing. For BJJ there are age divisions so that option will basically always be there. For kickboxing or striking you can do smokers, and from there can do amatuer fights. Same with MMA. I know some people who only started fighting MMA in their later 20s and had good amateur careers and some went on to go pro and get some wins and have opportunities there too. Train and try things out and build a good relationship with the trainers, especially those that are involved with cornering fighters etc.

Thank you guys, you are all excellent. I have a medical issue right now I need to get checked out but once I am clear with that, I will start looking into gyms. We have ATT in South Florida but you practically need to be a pro or semi-pro to train there. Trying to find some good MMA gyms in Miami Dade right now and join next year, ideally looking to be either Feb or March. Life has been crazy with health issues for me, got real sick in November.

So as a total newbie, consider an MMA gym?

MMA gyms are businesses and every business wants new customers.

Maybe not the pro gyms but normal gym's will always have beginner classes. I also started at age 30 and went to MMA classes right away. Start will be a little overwhelming and you'll be covered in bruises but it's fun, a great workout, and you'll improve quickly.

MMA gyms are businesses and every business wants new customers.

Maybe not the pro gyms but normal gym's will always have beginner classes. I also started at age 30 and went to MMA classes right away. Start will be a little overwhelming and you'll be covered in bruises but it's fun, a great workout, and you'll improve quickly.

When it comes to development though, how does it all go? Do you need to later on start BJJ on your own or do MMA gyms teach you enough?

When it comes to development though, how does it all go? Do you need to later on start BJJ on your own or do MMA gyms teach you enough?

Depends on the gym.

If the gym has MMA classes for all aspects that would be ideal. The first gym I went to just alternated between striking, takedowns, ground etc. which is cool to learn a bit of everything at the beginning.

The gym I'm at now is bigger and has seperate classes for everything.

I've also been to a few No Gi BJJ classes now and personally don't find it very helpful. Plenty of situations and techniques where you'd just get punched in the face in MMA.

Don't think about it too much and just start somewhere.

As a newbie, he sure can take directions well.
<JagsKiddingMe>

Depends on the gym.

If the gym has MMA classes for all aspects that would be ideal. The first gym I went to just alternated between striking, takedowns, ground etc. which is cool to learn a bit of everything at the beginning.

The gym I'm at now is bigger and has seperate classes for everything.

I've also been to a few No Gi BJJ classes now and personally don't find it very helpful. Plenty of situations and techniques where you'd just get punched in the face in MMA.

Don't think about it too much and just start somewhere.

On it now friend

Back