competition training! HELP OUT GRAPPLING FORUM!

pailum117

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've asked this question before and can never get a good response; so needless to say some help would be appreciated.

I'm a solid blue belt... in the academy. I've never competed before but I certainly want to start.

How many hours PER WEEK should one train in the month proceeding a serious no gi competition (mundials, pan ams, naga)?

How would you use that time? How many hours rolling, how many drilling specific technique and how many technique classes?

Thanks for any advice that can be given!

10+/week imo
i'd do a lot of rolling working my bread and butter.

As many as possible is the obvious answer. Many people train 5-6 days per week (sometimes multiple times per day) when preparing for big comps.

I've asked this question before and can never get a good response; so needless to say some help would be appreciated.

I'm a solid blue belt... in the academy. I've never competed before but I certainly want to start.

How many hours PER WEEK should one train in the month proceeding a serious no gi competition (mundials, pan ams, naga)?

How would you use that time? How many hours rolling, how many drilling specific technique and how many technique classes?

Thanks for any advice that can be given!

You have answered your own question. You need to spend an equal amount of time sparring, lessons, drilling, etc. All of these aspects of learning are all equally important.

Just don't burn yourself out, watching what you eat, taking care of yourself and staying as healthy as possible is also very important.

Back