1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Competition teams

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by NateTx4112, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

Does your school field a competition team? Not just guys who compete but a special subset if people who compete every local tournament and have a different type of training.

If you do have a competition team do you have special practices where non comp team members are not allowed to participate?

2. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

No Jiu Jitsu school would run there program like this. It would be rude to tell another student they couldn't train because they weren't competing. Anyone who was serious about there training would agree.

3. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

I don't think it's out of the question. There are MMA schools that have specific team training hours.

4. thrustyourhips

thrustyourhips White Belt

Agreed, if I pay the same dues and am at the same belt level, I don't see how you could keep me out of a class because I don't compete that often.

Further, wouldn't it be better if the competition team had more training partners? I might not compete, but what if I'm am totally amazing and awesome.

5. irc

irc Brown Belt

"Their." The word you are looking for is "their." The possessive.

6. Steelviper

Steelviper Green Belt

I could see not wanting to have to slow down/break up the flow if you've got a set routine or whatever... but if someone off the team can hack it and isn't slowing things up, then the more the merrier.

7. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

We have a competition team, but they don't compete at every local tourney - they mostly travel to big tourneys throughout the country (and internationally) and go to a few local ones (for the most part). Our local tourneys often have a lot of the guys that are not on the competition team.

And yes, we have special classes that are geared towards the competion team. I think you can pay more to get in those classes, but I am pretty sure it is invite only. I wouldn't know, since I haven't been invited.

Everyone is encouraged to compete though.

8. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

Perhaps because the goals and expectations put upon the competition team are different than other students? If there are classes multiple times a day, 7 days a week, is it really that crazy if a few hours are set aside for the competition team?

9. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

I cannot imagine, for the life of me, how someone could be hurt or offended if their school had a competition team.

THe school is a business and a team is a GREAT way to go advertise your product. If you suck, they may not want you to act as a representative. Shit happens.

10. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

The most successful American run school in the country runs it this way.

11. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

No classes will be cut but possibly will eat into the open mat/bs ing around the mat time after class some folks are used too.

Still would get 10 min warmup, 20 mins of technique, and 30 mins of sparring.

12. Mat Nemesis**

Mat Nemesis** Green Belt

you talking about lloyd's?

anyway, I think stuff that a competition class might do that a regular one would not would be things like going over gameplans.

if you are not going to compete you really do not need a comp gameplan.

13. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

I think if the instructor wants to spend extra time with a group of students who are dedicated enough to devote X number of hours to the sport and call it competition team training that it's a good idea. If the rest of the team wants the extra training/attention then they can make a couple sacrifices to meet the minimum requirements to be part of the competition team. I don't believe everyone on the competition team has to compete, but they need to adhere to whatever minimum requirements have been set by the instructor. If people have careers or family to tend to, i think special arrangements can also be made if interest and dedication is shown.

14. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

Yep. Jt really shed some light on things they do and how they prepare.

15. thaiboxer67

thaiboxer67 White Belt

i think team training without regular members is probably the norm not the exception.but i think that when the team gets all the real training and the reg joe's don't, then its time to move on. and endless cycle of technique that gets recycled 4 times a year and no real progression towards the almighty blue belt gets boring.

16. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

yeah... I understand what you're saying and we have something similar to this but actually the inverse is true... we have "competition training" where everyone is welcome, but if you compete, it's mandatory. and the training is pretty intense too. It's back to back rolling for about 8 5-minute rolls.

17. crash90

crash90 Blue Belt

Disclaimer: Our gym is fight focused and not a pure grappling gym.

We have "fighter" practices that are closed to most members. You are invited to these practices. We tend to focus on 1 or 2 things each practice. For example, today we would focus on grappling w/ small gloves. At these practices our head coach watches and provides feedback.

Though we do not focus on grappling, we do attend grappling tournaments. When grappling tournaments are coming up, we generally don't focus soley on grappling as we are always getting guys ready for fights.

So Ig uess you could say we have a "competition" team but we are not focused on getting them ready for grappling tournaments.

18. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

we don't have a special competition class.. most of us already compete and it's not like our classes are big enough to just split everything up. if anything everyone trains hard and thats that.

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I think it is totally normal for bigger club to have a separate competition class. not everyone wants to do some crazy cardio training.

20. Linzy

Linzy Orange Belt

My academy has two competition classes a week that are invite only. This is so that the competition team can train hard without having to worry about going light on the lower belts or letting them work. If you are going to compete at a local tournament, you may get a temporary pass to this class for 2 months or so before this event, and you may be invited to stay after the event. This class is not for everyone, and there are no breaks during it. There is no chatting, and people work their butts off the entire hour. Hobbyists do not want to come to this class more than once.