Competition Jitters

Lizardman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This thread could be in either the grappling or standup forum but since i'm less of a striker, but will be facing striking comp next, i'll put it here.

I'm sure the majority of fighters have some sort of physical response when entering competition. Butterflies, jitters, tunnel-vision, etc. I have a bad habit I think may be related to this.

Tourneys are the thing. As long as I could remember, I've had problems being able to turn "it" on in the majority of my first matches. I'd likely have trouble or get crushed my first match, then glide on the rest of the day. Now when doing MMA when in most cases, all you have is one go, this is more of an issue than in the past.

Outside of having a full fledged pre-match, I haven't a clue what else to do. I warm-up quite a bit, but that doesn't simulate the coming action nor stimulate response I need.

Does anyone know what i'm talking about? Tips?

do your best to mentally prepare yourself. do some visualization techniques, remind yourself of the basics like why you started training, and why you fight. since all you have is one go, dont be a slow starter, get off first and take the fight to your opponent, be the dominant fighter.

During tonight's training, I found two words to be incredibly helpful: "So what?"

"Gosh Iggy, that last circuit wasn't so hot."

"So what?"

"Maybe you could do better on the next circuit."

"So what?"

"You're here to do well."

"So what?"

"If you're not going to do your best, why even come here?"

"So what?"

"You chose to come here."

"So what?"

"The time you spent here will never be returned to you."

"So what?"

"You haven't got forever."

"So what?"

"Someday you won't have a second chance."

"So what?"

etc...etc...

Keep your hands up, your ass off the mat and fight like hell and you might make it out with a draw!

I just heard this from my coach (who heard it from his boxing coach), and it makes me laugh at how tense I've been getting (fight on Saturday, nerves started kicking in last night).

I guess you can call it the Yushin Okami syndrome. Phoenix is actually one of my favorite fighters, because in part he's a slow-starter ass and yet, he's still pretty sucessful.

Iggy, I've had those some words in my head time and again and have done the same. Just kinda go forward even though you own friggin mind doesn't understand why.

What I find works best for me is mental preparation. I don't get nervous at all before a fight, I think my ego is just too big and losing isn't even a possibility in my mind, I just get happy knowing I get to show off infront of a big crowd and punch people in the face. I fought on the 15th (won) and before hand I just did mental training. I am going to be a wall, no one will move me and I am indestructable. As cheesy as it sounds just repeating and visualizing things of that nature really get me mentally ready.

I got those my first fight, but my second one was much better. All I did was practice real hard after my first fight, sparred with some tough ass mofo's, and I watched videos
of my opponent about a week before. I asked my coach his HONEST opinion of what he thought was gonna happen and once he said "You're gonna TKO him in 3rd round" I felt so much better and I wasn't nervous at all. Just come prepared and know that he wont stand a chance.

What I find works best for me is mental preparation. I don't get nervous at all before a fight, I think my ego is just too big and losing isn't even a possibility in my mind, I just get happy knowing I get to show off infront of a big crowd and punch people in the face. I fought on the 15th (won) and before hand I just did mental training. I am going to be a wall, no one will move me and I am indestructable. As cheesy as it sounds just repeating and visualizing things of that nature really get me mentally ready.

Have you ever lost before? I think that's a big part of it, at least for me. I lost my first ammy boxing fight. Whether that makes me a better fighter or not, I'm not sure.

Have you ever lost before? I think that's a big part of it, at least for me. I lost my first ammy boxing fight. Whether that makes me a better fighter or not, I'm not sure.

Yes I lost my first fight, was one of the best things to happen for me because my only fear in fighting is losing, I despise it more than anything. My only loss was my first and since then I never want to feel that feeling again and now I am always mentally prepared for fights because the worst part is over and done with.

Yes I lost my first fight, was one of the best things to happen for me because my only fear in fighting is losing, I despise it more than anything. My only loss was my first and since then I never want to feel that feeling again and now I am always mentally prepared for fights because the worst part is over and done with.

Props to you for taking the right mental attitude. A lot of guys will hang it up if they lose their first time out. Hell, I didn't do any training for about a year...just glad I didn't waste any more time being stupid.

Back